The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any of you guys or gals take a steel to a ukulele club ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 4:50 pm    

The uke is a very popular instrument and a lot of fun to play,,,I just bought one myself for the purpose of adding the sound to my backing tracks to play Hawaiian tunes. There are also a lot of ukulele clubs around (tho not in my area) I am just curious if any of you guys go to a uke club and have them strum along while you play some tunes ? Would work good for some Hawaiian tunes.

I have never been to a uke club, so that may not be their format, and for that matter, it might sound like a train wreck ! But hey, a chance to play perhaps, and they might enjoy playing with a live steel guitar or it might be a chance to find a good uke player to jam with.

End of rambling. thanks for any responses.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 8:21 am    

My guitar slinging buddy and yours truly played a Hawaiian gig a couple of weeks ago and a fellow from the audience came up and said: "If I'd have know you were doing Hawaiian songs, I'd have brought my ukulele".
I wish he would have. Very Happy

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 5:03 pm    

I got into playing lap steel about 10 years ago thru playing with uke players. Then got invited to play with a Hula performance band for local shows. The rest is history, as they say. Lots of uke groups play all kinds of music, most of it not Hawaiian, but probably including blues, old time Carter Family songs, western swing, early rock & roll. I was lucky. If you want to play Hawaiian, really work on it and look for Hula dancers who want live music. It's really a kick to accompany a couple of good singers playing uke, guitar & bass and put on a show at a Luau. And Hula dancers really love to have a steel player.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 4:29 am    

Jerry
That sounds like a dream gig to me...I really love what the Alcatraz Islanders do...perfect, IMHO. But I might have trouble with "keep your eyes on the hands"....haha Smile I am working hard on building my repertoire in Hawaiian music...lots of fun, beautiful music there.
Thanks for the post.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 7:23 am    

Took my ukulele to a fiddle circle in St. Paul once. Accompanied a friend who was attempting to learn the fiddle. Was told in so many words not to return. Actually, it was a mutual decision. They had a guitarist for their accompanist/leader who was only marginally more accomplished than the fiddlers. And he was just as badly out of tune as the rest of 'em. Reminded me of class flut-o-phone lessons in the 5th grade at Washburn Elementary. Not pretty.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 7:44 am    

Jack,
Some people just don't appreciate talent! Very Happy

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 8:08 am    

I've played with many ukulele players, both in clubs and at the Northern California Ukulele Festival. I've never felt anything but welcome.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 8:18 am    

Brad, I assume you played steel at the clubs,etc. ?
I think it could be fun to try...when I get back to Az in the fall there are several clubs in the area...I might give one a try and see if I feel welcome, if not, I will take my uke the next time Smile But it would be more fun to try the steel on a few tunes with them.

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 8:50 am    

The ukulele club in our area has a "ukulele only" policy... Sad . I heard it was because they didn't want it to become overrun with guitar players.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 9:25 am    

Frank, that does make sense and that may be a common policy.
Maybe I will take my uke and look around for a good uke player that I can invite to my own jam...what I really would like is at least one hula dancer Smile but then again, I might have trouble with "Keep your eyes on the hands! "

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 9:34 am    

Larry,
Do you know how to do the hula?
You put on a grass skirt and rotate the crops! Laughing

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 10:45 am    

Laughing

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 11:38 am    

I've played with SUPA (Seattle Ukulele Players Assn.) several times. Lotsa fun!
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 1:00 pm    

I was one of the original Uke club members when our local group started.There were 14 of us. It grew to 160 - 180 at a meeting. Does anyone one know what 160 Ukes sound like? Of which 20 were in tune and 10 could play more than 4 chords........thought so. BUT to see the joy in the faces and voices of attendees is wonderful. Bringing people (mainly older)together for the 4 is so hours in this social context has huge health benefits. I was told however not to bring a steel as it's "too strong an instrument" Rolling Eyes as a previous poster said not too much if any Hawaiian music played.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 11:03 am    

Jeff Spencer wrote:
Does anyone one know what 160 Ukes sound like?

Yes I do. Whoa!

We meet on each Thurs. in August at the north side of the Huntington Beach pier around 6:00pm. Come on down.