The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel guitarist Charles Kama
Gene Warner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2011 4:31 pm    

Does anyone out there have any information, clippings, or photos, of steel guitarist Charles Kama and his Moana Hawaiians? A good friend of mine Hank Harrison, is a historian of early bluegrass, country, and related types of music. He is researching this early steel player. Any help would be appreciated.
Gene Warner

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2011 7:04 pm     Old 78 rpm record by Chas. Kama

Hi Gene , I have an old 78 rpm record by "Charles Kama & his Moana Hawaiians" on RCA Victor # 25-1073 A & B International Series I bought back in the late 40s. Songs are "Hawaiian Hotel March" instrumental & "My Hopi Hoole Girl" W/ vocal !! Great sounding old style Hawaiian music !! It sounds like it might be acoustic steel but I'm not positive . I don't have any info on Chas. Kama. Eddie "C" the old geezer

Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2011 2:22 pm    

Kama recorded with Manuel T. Salazar in San Antonio , Texas in 1929 ( 2 sides ) then another 4 sides in 1932. Those were acoustic steel of course. All the later recordings ( '38 to '40 )as Charles Kama and his Moana Hawaiians are electric steel as far as I'm aware. I don't recall seeing a photo of him but I do have a couple of newspaper clippings I could send to Hank

Gene Warner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2011 9:16 pm    

Thanks for the info. Hank would love to get a copy, or a scan, of any info like that, that you could supply.
Gene Warner

Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 7:36 am    

Gene...I sent you a private message about putting me in touch with Hank ...Les

Mac McKenzie

Auckland, New Zealand * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2011 2:06 am    

Personally, I am not any help, but I wrote to a friend in England, John Marsden, hstorian and walking encyclopedia who has sent me an amazing amount of info. on this player. I am not sure how to get it to you should you be interested and would accept any help.

Gene Warner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2011 12:12 pm    

Mac,
You're friend has some information, and it is a friend of mine that is searching for info on Kama. We need to put those two in touch somehow. If there is an eMail address for the fellow in England, or even a phone number, my friend Hank Harrison will contact him. Thanks for answering my inquiry.
Gene Warner

Mac McKenzie

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2011 12:03 am    

Gene,
John Marsden does not have a computer and I have noticed a complete absence of addresses and phone numbers on this forum. If it does not infringe protocol ok. I could copy what John has sent me and post it to a postal address if I had one. John has also supplied a contact in USA but here again, is it ok to post an address?

Gene Warner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2011 8:06 am    

Here is a maiiing address for Hank Harrison.

Hank Harrison
1542 West Ashby
San Antonio, Texas 78201

Thanks so much. Hank will be very appreciative of any help. He has become quite a music historian, and is helping to archive much information on great past players, that might be lost otherwise.
Gene

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2011 8:45 am    

BAZ is a close friend to JOHN MARSDEN ... You may want to contact Baz. I have John's snail address however, am hesitant to post it on the Forum. John is a living encyclopedia of all things Hawaiian, even though he has never set foot on Hawai'i! An excellent steel guitarist and a wonderful guy in every respect. Amazing thing about John, he still uses a typewriter whenever we correspond ... which prompts me to wonder where, in 2011 does he obtain replacement ribbons ? Very Happy

Mac McKenzie

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 1:07 pm    

Others may be interested in the info. John sent on this somewhat elusive player.3 photos show him 1. standing with a fairly elaborite double 8, 2. sitting with his guitar on table top legs and with his Moana Serenaders, his son on ukulele 3. his hula girl Lehua Kailani Martin. Charles Kailani Kama also traded as Charles Kama Valera, born in Kailua 1896, died Phoenix AZ 1970. As with many others, moved to the mainland, ( where the money is ) toured with shows, 1929 toured Canada, began recording in 1933 and by 1941 had way over 100 recordings for Victor. Recorded with Jimmie Rodgers in 1931 and Jesse Otto Rodgers in 1936. Finally settled, set up his Moana Hawaiian Music Centre, did radio and TV, played at the Club Flamingo featuring his hula girl and his Serenaders. And here is a twist - all this in San Antonio. Look around you Hank, it is all there somewhere.

Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2012 7:16 am    

This Youtube of Jimmie Rodgers "Travelin' Blues" recorded January 31, 1931 in San Antonio, Texas, lists Charles Kama as the steel guitar player. You can't hear it much - just backing up the vocals occasionally. The lead break is all fiddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GiiyxL_ouo&feature=related

Dave Sichak

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2017 7:15 pm     steel guitarist Charles Kama

This thread I see is over five years old. But it came up as I was looking for some info on Charles Kama. Thanks to some info late in the thread, I think I have documented his dates of birth and death. According to the Social Security Death Index, Charles Valera was born on April 5, 1897.

His obituary was published in the November 25, 1970 issue of the Arizona Republic. It indicated he had died the previous Friday at a local hospital, which would make the date November 20, 1970. The obituary spelled his name as Charles Kama Vallera.

Hopefully this reply ends up in the right place as its been a while since I posted here.

Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 1:25 pm     Charles Kailani Kama