The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Midnight Jamboree E.T. and B.E.
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 5:58 am    

Last night I remembered that I was given a record. I used to serve as pastor of a small church where Buddy Emmons's uncle went...in fact he had helped build the place in the 1950's. So, when he heard I played steel he asked me over to his house and showed me his collection of stuff about Buddy. Really cool!!

Eventually the uncle died. At his funeral, the aunt gave me this record. I just played it for the first time. I'm pretty floored. Rose City Chimes. What else can I say? Rose City Chimes.

When was this recorded? What's the story of the steel on the record?

Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 8:01 am    

Rose City Chimes was recorded June 29, 1961... it was actually done in the studio, with Ernest's voice-over added later to give the impression it was a live performance.

you can find the studio version without the voice-over on a great collection called Almost To Tulsa: The Instrumentals, released by Bear Family in 2008.

this version of RCC is a jaw-dropping example of what is possible on a steel guitar in the hands of a master... Buddy was just 24 at the time.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 9:42 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8hbGG8o3_U

Above is the original 1958 version by Bobby Garrett and The Comanches--along with the flip side. Garrett recorded it several times later on, but this is the earliest version of the song as far as I know, 3 years before Buddy.

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 5:59 pm    

Ralph Emery would use, what I believe to be one of Bobby Garrett`s recordings, when signing on WSM, at about 12 midnight, and sign off about 4:30 am. I would listen to the recording on the way to the dairy barn where I milked cows in 1961. It is my understanding that Bobby wrote the song as a tribute to his home town, Tyler, TX., which was called the "Rose City".

Don Euton

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 7:05 pm    

thanks for posting the original Mitch... somehow I don't think I'd ever heard it. Buddy didn't add all that much apart from the bebop solos with Leon Rhodes toward the end. still, what an amazing tribute.

and I need to practice my thumb pickin!

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 12:02 pm    

Very cool to get the story on this tune. Thanks!

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 2:09 pm    

Who knows about the steel guitar in the picture?

Is it the same one as on the record? I seem to think it's not the same for some reason...maybe a thread I read some time back.

Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 7:10 pm    

The Youtube link above is definitely the version of 'RCC' that Ralph Emery used on his show. I heard it so many times...I used to set my alarm for early morning to hear Ralph sign off with 'RCC'. At dark until daylight, WSM would come in loud and clear in western PA.

My understanding is that Bobby Garrett was set to record "RCC" for the Midnight Jamboree album since Buddy had left Ernest's band....but before the recording session, Buddy returned to the band and therefore, he was the one that did the recording and also appeared on the album cover.

Bobby Garrett also recorded 'RCC' for a Hank Thompson album, 'Cheyenne Frontier Days' for Capitol Records.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 5:01 am    

The final issue of 'Steel Guitar World' magazine contained a feature article on Bobby Garrett including the story behind 'Rose City Chimes'. Interesting portion concerning Bobby leaving ET's band to join Hank Thompson and an insight into what a gracious gentleman Ernest was.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 6:17 am    

Gimble's mando solo always knocked me out on RCC and Bobcat. I mentioned it to him once and he just smiled and said it was a fun session. Smile

Also on Youtube is this version of RCC by Faron Young's Deputies...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n-tQWzc1qw

Anyone know who's the steel player on this one? I don't recognize anyone from the album photo.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 6:58 am    

could that be a mustached Stu Basore in the middle on top? not sure what years Stu played with Faron, or what year this record was made for that matter...

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 7:12 am    

Quote:
Gimble's mando solo always knocked me out on RCC and Bobcat.

Apologies in advance, but I was always of the understanding that Tiny Moore did that great solo on the original RCC. Is that incorrect? Confused

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 9:17 am    

It was recorded in Tyler TX, and Gimble was the mandolinist.

Tiny was great but he never played THAT hot that I ever heard. Gimble was an amazing musician, as all the pickers here in the Austin area that worked with him often can attest to.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2017 5:04 am    

Rick Abbott wrote:
Who knows about the steel guitar in the picture?

Is it the same one as on the record? I seem to think it's not the same for some reason...maybe a thread I read some time back.

It's a double 9 string Sho Bud. There was a discussion about it years ago. Buddy had said that the front apron wood was exceptionally stunning. Not sure if it is the same guitar as on the recording though but it is the guitar in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmbFXJDHrM.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2017 12:47 pm     Was a great album

Was a great album and I had it for years.
Gave all my vinyl records to my younger brother when I moved overseas.
Lot's of older pre 1975 C&W as well as just about every pedal steel record ever done in a record album.
Kind of miss it, but you just can't drag tons of stuff all around. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2017 5:29 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Tiny was great but he never played THAT hot that I ever heard. Gimble was an amazing musician, as all the pickers here in the Austin area that worked with him often can attest to.

I was never moved by a fiddle like I was the first time I heard play a break on a Ray Price recording of Faded Love, I think it was the album with Willy Nelson. He did some double stops that almost caused me to swallow my Juicy Fruit.
I think the Big E was on that record too.
Now I'm thinking about having given all my vinyl records to my brother when I moved overseas. And yes, just as great on mandolin too.
So very sad to think about all the greats who we have lost in the last few years.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.