The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fender twin
Wayne Harris

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 2:49 pm    

does anybody know what good speakers that fender twin amps had in them years ago for lead guitar and what good speaker to buy new that wood be good for fender twin for country lead guitar thanks

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 6:23 pm     Twin

Wayne,

The Jensen C12K would be a good choice since some Twins had came with these speakers originally. Altec 417Cs would work great, but would make the amp heavy. Of course, the JBL D-120F or K-120 would also be fantastic--I'm sure your already know about these fine speakers. The EVM 12Ls would also be great but are heavy like the Altecs.

Tim Marcus (of Milkman fame) swears by the Jupiter 12" ceramic speakers and feels these are awesome in a Twin. He knows what he's talking about, so his endorsement is something to give serious consideration. He uses this 12" ceramic speaker in his amps. There's also a Jupiter alnico, but this is pretty expensive in comparison to the ceramic version. There are some YouTube videos that feature this speaker in shootouts with others. I think it's called the Jupiter LC12. Google this for details. It's not real expensive either for a new speaker. It may be real tight in a Twin, so be careful.

I have a Twin with Celestion Vintage 30s in it and they are very nice. They fit nicely and are not too heavy. However, I have three sets of other speakers that I use in separate cabinets from the Twin. One set of cabinets has EVM (Electro Voice) 15s, another 2x12 cabinet has Travis Toy's TT-12s, and the other 2X12 cabinet has Peavey 1201-8s. These are all great speakers. I just plug in what I feel like at the moment and play.

Lane Gray uses Eminence EM12s in his TR and likes them a lot. You can find his posts on the subject on past threads. These are clones of the EVM 12Ls and are relatively inexpensive to purchase new. There's a YouTube that compares this speaker against the EVM 12L. Take a look at this for information.

Something else to consider is Paul Franklin's new Eminence PF-350. You can find posts about this speaker here on the Forum. He has a YouTube out on his new signature speaker. They're also heavy (around 21 pounds each), but I bet they would sound awesome. They are over $200 new on Ebay.

There are probably many that will work great for lead guitar. I have no personal knowledge about many of these, but search YouTube and you'll find a lot of shootouts with various speakers...definitely worth reviewing. I'm sure others will chime in on what works great for some of these options.

You have to be careful when purchasing the speakers because some are too wide at the flange and won't fit the twin. So do give some consideration to the overall width of the speaker before purchasing anything. A word to the wise is sufficient.

Do a search and you will find lots on this subject here on the Forum. In addition, GOOGLE Twin Reverbs for "images" and you can see many speakers used in Twins. This way, you can get an idea of space, what will fit, what the old speakers looked like, etc.

Good luck on your search.

Don

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 6:01 am    

My early silver face Twin came with JBL's but that's the way I ordered it.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 6:05 am    

https://www.jensentone.com/jet_series/12_tornado_stealth_100

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2017 5:45 am    

JBL D120 or Altec 417 are magic in Twin Reverbs for steel guitar. The Weber NeoMags are very close in sound and a good lightweight alternative if you can find them.

Edited to say: I was unaware that Weber had added the NeoMags back into production: https://www.tedweber.com/neomag12

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2017 5:56 am    

My EM-12Gs are in my Ultralinear Twin, and I am quite fond of them. After you wade through a minute of my blather, they're here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VOnjXoHvOng

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2017 3:55 pm    

Be very careful with vintage JBL's. If they have not been reconed and 25 years old or more they will have lost 35% (or more) of their power handling.

This takes them from the original 60 watt power handling down to 39 or less. A pair then handles close to 80 watts, which sounds ok - but that's RMS power handling, and peak numbers can far exceed that. I have sent more customers' JBL's out for reconing than another speaker brand, and they are not one of the cheaper brands to recone.

It happens because JBL's original marketing implied they were 100 watt speakers - which they weren't . The designer has been trying to straighten the situation out on many amp-specific forums for years!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2017 6:30 am    

I ordered a British Tayden 60 that I A/B'ed against a Celestion Vintage 30 and much preferred the Tayden. It has a jazzier type of clean sound with a 6 string guitar that is quite a bit closer to a D-120 in tone and feel. Hadn't played a pedal steel guitar through it but would expect C6 playing to work well through the Tayden. Both speakers sell for about the same price in Europe.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 4:48 pm     Speakers for Twiin

Hey Wayne,

Be sure to check out Tim Marcus' new 12" Eminence speaker. Here are the details from a link I saw today. Size won't be an issue fitting a twin baffle.

This would be a great choice for guitar/steel usage. The cost is reasonable too. This might be what you've been looking for!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=317501

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 12:03 pm    

I have a '67 Pro Reverb that I just put Jensen C12K's into. They sound fine.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 1:08 pm    

Don't know if all Fender Twins have the same bolt system? However, my original 1965 Twin I bought 6 or so years ago came with EVL speakers. Way too heavy and too loud so I I bought a pair of 8 ohm Vintage 30 speakers. The Celestion has 4 holes in the rim for mounting and the Twin had 8 speaker bolts. Not an easy task to remove 4 speaker bolts from each speaker cavity in the Twin baffle board as they mount from the front of the baffle board.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 10:24 pm    

In the eighties, I owned a silverface Twin that I ordered with JBLs, which made it extremely heavy, way over 100 lbs. At the time, I lived in a 3rd floor apartment (no elevator), so you won't be surprised that I decided not to keep it... But the tone was to die for.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 2:51 pm    

I had a BF Twin with EV SRO coffee can speakers - no car so I'd call the cab company that had Checker cabs for cars so I could put it in the back with me Smile What sound, though worth every ounce..

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 3:09 pm    

Len Amaral wrote:
Don't know if all Fender Twins have the same bolt system? However, my original 1965 Twin I bought 6 or so years ago came with EVL speakers. Way too heavy and too loud so I I bought a pair of 8 ohm Vintage 30 speakers. The Celestion has 4 holes in the rim for mounting and the Twin had 8 speaker bolts. Not an easy task to remove 4 speaker bolts from each speaker cavity in the Twin baffle board as they mount from the front of the baffle board.

Don't you hate it when they do that? Four more holes in a speaker frame wouldn't kill anybody!

Easy to remove bolts on the later models with velcro grill cloth panel , but tricky on the older one piece baffle that screwed to the cabinet.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 3:29 pm    

Hi Carl,

Yeah, it was a bear of a job to get the Vintage 30 speakers in my Twin but I have to admit that It sounds very nice. Another note, I use the Peavey LA 112 amp all the time in my studio. That little amp has a punch. I'm glad we both had a chance to play through that gem👍

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 4:55 pm    

Carl Mesrobian wrote:
Len Amaral wrote:

Don't you hate it when they do that? Four more holes in a speaker frame wouldn't kill anybody!

Easy to remove bolts on the later models with velcro grill cloth panel , but tricky on the older one piece baffle that screwed to the cabinet.

Dremel is your friend.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 4:05 am    

Heard a brand new Twin in the music store yesterday that sounded really, really good. It was furnished with Jensen speakers.