The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud D10 Body Twisted
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 4:03 pm    

Any one ever see a D10 body warped or slightly twisted? Looking from the top down I noticed my pedal bar sticking out more on one side then the other. I thought that the threaded leg holes in the castings were casted on a different angle. The answer to the issue was that the guitars body itself was slightly twisted. Any advice? Or has anyone else encountered the same thing? Found it with a straight edge.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 5:14 pm    

Bwaaaa! It's a Shobud! I'm a huge fan, but I've seen stuff that makes you wonder, "What the Hell were they doing?"
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 5:45 pm     Sho Bud D10 Body Twisted

John, I actually loosened the tuning key end end plate and shimed between the body and the plate and was able to correct about 90% of the alignment. Bought off of the Forum about a month ago. Nice looking clean Super Pro. Great sound. Must have been built on Monday!!!

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 6:59 pm    

Sometimes I think everyday was Monday at Shobud!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 6:59 pm    

There's lots of steels out there that the holes for the legs were drilled slightly off, making the pedal bar not line up with the body. I worked on one a while back (which shall remain nameless), that one end of the pedal bar was about 2" farther out than the other end. The rear legs were not aligned either. I re-drilled the end plates oversize and used thread inserts to get everything lined back up.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 4:50 am    

If it was a Super Pro model, it is more likely that everyday was Monday at the Gretsch drum factory where according to the late Bobbe Seymour, the later model Sho-Buds were built.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 5:09 am    

I've got a modern steel with a slight twist to the body resulting in one leg front sitting forward of the other. Its most likely cause is green wood curing out with a mild twist. The maker offered to rebuild my guitar with a new body but at the time I could not afford to be without the guitar so I passed on it. There is no question, it is a flaw. But I can live with it.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 6:18 am    

John Billings wrote:

Word is there was a sign over the work tables at MCM that said "hey, it's good enough." Laughing

Only certain eras, I think. I surmise that the quality control at Sho~Bud started downhill when the company took on the Fender contract in mid-70s.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 7:45 pm    

My 1977 LDG came out perfect. And Mr.PF has his endorsement on the underside. So glad he worked on mine. Thank you Mr. Franklin. I modified a few things, to fit my playing, and will not consider any other steel.
Ronnie

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2017 3:18 pm    

John Billings wrote:

For sure that seems to be true. No two seem the same but they sound great and play so well if set up right. Using less than well aged wood is the cause of something like that most of the time.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.