The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Differences in width of Sho-Bud pedals
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 7:13 pm    

I have noticed that Buds have pedal widths ranging from so wide they almost touch each other, to really skinny ones. I bought a mid 70's LDG and it has the skinny ones on it. They are probably not more than an inch wide. I'm finding the feel of it quite different than I'm used to. It is also quite easy to slip off a pedal after you have been moving back and forth between pedals for awhile. I find I have to constantly think about where my foot is positioned on the pedals. For those of you that have played guitars with the different pedals on them, is this something I'll get used to or would I be better off finding some wider pedals? If so, where can I find the pedals? I'm used to the medium width pedals on my Emmons.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 8:42 pm    

Harry, I've got a wide footprint, but still prefer the wider pedals. Every so often, people are looking to trade one style for the other, so that could be an option for you, if you decide that they just aren't cutting it?
Be aware though, there may be some modifications necessary, to make the swap! Good luck to you

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 1:12 pm    

I believe that the difference in pedal widths depends on the year of manufacture. I had a Pro I and have a Pro III, both from 1975, and both with wide pedals. The changeover happened in 1776 or 77.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 1:25 pm    

Jack Aldrich wrote:
I believe that the difference in pedal widths depends on the year of manufacture. I had a Pro I and have a Pro III, both from 1975, and both with wide pedals. The changeover happened in 1776 or 77.

My 6139 was built in August 1975 and has narrow pedals (unless they were swapped some time before I got it, I guess).

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 1:29 pm    

I also have a 12 string from June '75 that has narrow pedals. The change seems to correspond pretty closely with the switch to square front bodies but it seems there is always a lot of overlap with Sho-Buds.

There were two variants of the later narrow style pedals, one smooth, one with grooves but they were the same size. So if you ignore that variation there are really only two styles dating back to the early-mid '60s.

As with most things you would probably get used to the difference in time. The narrow pedals are actually closer together center to center than the old wide Bud pedals. As Edward mentioned, there are other things to consider if you want to change them.

The spacing on the axle was wider on the earlier models. On the earlier Professional/Pro series the spacing was ~2 5/8" - 2 3/4", The later narrow pedals were spaced 2 1/2". The narrow pedals are also a bit longer and mount lower on the pedal rack than the older style so the geometry is different relative to your foot/ankle.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 2:20 pm    

Jack Aldrich wrote:
The changeover happened in 1776

No kidding, Jack Smile

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 5:16 pm    

The New Pedals were revolutionary at the time!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 2:04 pm    

I hear you saying if your foot moves a tiny bit, you miss one of the pedals, when using 2 at a time. It has happened to me. I traded my narrow ones, for wide ones on my LDG. No more missing a pedal. Now, if you think your spacing is too wide, you might have spacers between each pedal. Look and see. If you do, you can try removing them. A very easy task. Make sure you have them lubed so you do not get any wear. I was about to shorten the width of the pedals, to make them closer together, but I found a trade first. Even if you cut the width shorter, and do not like it, you can put spacers back in. Either way, you have to make them fit "YOU", not the other guys. Adjust your steel to fit you. Good luck friend Ronnie

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 3:14 pm    

Thanks for the info guys. Mine are also the smooth ones which may also contribute to sliding around on them. I guess there are some advantages to these pedals, like being easier to hit just one. I think I'll try them a while longer before I make any changes.

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 5:01 pm    

I know what y'all mean about overlap. I have a '75 Pro III square body with wide pedals. I also have a '74 Pro III round body, with wide pedals. I've been playing wide pedals for so long it feels alien to play narrow pedals.