The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Smoothest action strings?
Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 10:20 am    

I've used mostly Ernie Ball's over the years, along with SIT, D'addario and a few others. I always come back to Ernie Ball. I seem to recall reading a thread a long time ago discussing the various alloys of strings and which has the smoothest action, least amount of drag when sliding the bar.

In your opinion, experience, what are the smoothest action strings? What type alloy?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 11:28 am    

WEll lets see> I was endorsed by Ernie Ball for 8 years and then Jagwire came out with strings and sent me some and I tried them; and that is all I have been playing since(past 10 or so years). And yes there are other pretty good strings....but Jagwire has proven to be the most consistent than any other.

and this is what they sound like>

https://youtu.be/scaGSh9LxTA

Ricky

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 12:14 pm    

Ricky Davis wrote:
WEll lets see> I was endorsed by Ernie Ball for 8 years and then Jagwire came out with strings and sent me some and I tried them; and that is all I have been playing since(past 10 or so years). And yes there are other pretty good strings....but Jagwire has proven to be the most consistent than any other.

and this is what they sound like>

https://youtu.be/scaGSh9LxTA

Ricky

That's some sweet playing,Ricky! What kind of amp did you use on this session?
Dale

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 12:28 pm    

I used nothing but Jagwire for years until they became hard to get, then switched to Live Steel Strings. I think that Live Steel Strings are the best for my use. Just my opinion.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 1:16 pm    

Dale I use Fender Twin(blackfaced and JBL K-130's) on all my recordings and live for the last 20 years at least.
Here's a pic of that rig I use.

Larry I understand; and yes when Danny(Jagwire) and family went through some horrible family situation; I too used something else; until they recovered and then back to Jagwire as they are waaaaay better for my needs.
Ricky

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 5:19 pm    

I see Jagwire offers standard and light sets, and also nickel and stainless. which ones for smoothest "glide/feel?"

Last edited by Tim Russell on 17 Jun 2017 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 5:51 pm    

Anyone who thinks "real" country music is gone, or that great steel playing is relegated to the background, has not heard Ricky playing with this band. Great playing and tremendous tone!

I'm gonna buy this record ASAP!!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 6:39 pm    

Tim; I would suggest Nickel for the smoothest sound over the wound strings...and for the gauges....if you have a 24" scale; get my set and for a longer scale get the Junior Knight set.
Hey Rick Abbott thanks for the kind supportive words. Course when the CD is produced by two Steel Players(Tommy Detamore and Ricky Davis); ya can't go wrong unless you get another Producer like we did on the latest CD to come out after Summer....How does Lloyd Maines and Ricky Davis sound?? And Lloyd also loved my steel playing and you might even hear it more on this next CD...ah....ha....
Ricky

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 6:50 pm    

Thanks for that info., Ricky. And yes, that was a refreshing sound from most of what is on the country dial these days! Cool vid. with the band members "at odds" with each other/seating arraignment. I was hoping for a good outcome between the couple at the end, though... Sad

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 3:48 am    

Just ordered two sets, one for the Sierra & one for the Williams. The Sierra has the longer scale, so I picked up Junior Knights set for it.

For those interested, I did a search & found that Mike Perlowin posted a similar thread a few years ago. Looks like the majority prefer nickel.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=209081

Interesting to note that on the Jagwire site, the signature sets that the pros use, are almost evenly split between nickel & stainless.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 4:03 am    

I believe a lot depends on the material your bar is machined from. I generally use an old stainless steel Emmons bar on my pedal steels, and a stainless Latch Lake (formerly Broz-O-Phonic) bar on my 6-strings. So it's nickel for me, as stainless on stainless causes undue friction. Brand name is not as important as price, in my frugal opinion.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 5:12 am    

You can also try half-round (or ground round, depending on who's talking about it) strings.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 7:00 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
I believe a lot depends on the material your bar is machined from. I generally use an old stainless steel Emmons bar on my pedal steels, and a stainless Latch Lake (formerly Broz-O-Phonic) bar on my 6-strings. So it's nickel for me, as stainless on stainless causes undue friction. Brand name is not as important as price, in my frugal opinion.

Yes; I agree. You never really hear people talk about different bar types or material. I have 7 or 8 bars, 2 of them 1". I find I sound better with my 1" bar, but, I also have one; I forget the name of it, but it has the countersunk bottom end, and it seems smoother than the others. I switch bars regularly during a gig, just for a change of sound. it's subtle, but it's there.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 7:28 am    

How are the SIT strings in this area? Readily available from Amazon in the correct gauge for my guitar, which is a plus.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 8:29 am    

I personally hate SIT strings. That's just a personal opinion. To me, they don't sound as good as Live Steel Strings or Jagwires, and break more often. I was using Jagwires and switched to Live Steel when Jagwire was having problems. But I occasionally use Jagwires (just a mood thing). I don't like either one better than the other. I use nickel wound strings.

I do remember that when I had my Kline and a Super Pro, the brand that sounded best on the Kline didn't sound as goo on the 'Bud. I used Emmons Lashley light and Lively (I think that's the name) on the Kline, and something else on the 'bud (maybe Sho~Bud). I've also tried using one brand on E9 and another on C6.

I've never noticed any brand being smoother than others.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 8:40 am    

Well, I tried a set on my lap steel and seem to remember not being overly impressed, but I've never used the pedal steel strings.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 12:35 pm    

My experience with SIT strings - they were "dead" on my Sierra. No sustain, loss of highs. Tried out a few sets, in case I got a bad batch, all the same.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 6:54 am    

Been using the SIT_BE-E9th strings for many years and always enjoyed them.
I've tried other brands once in a while but always went back to using these.
I like the sound and sustain and they last a long time without breaking.

S I T Strings Pedal Steel Guitar Nickel Plated Steel 10 String, .012 - .038, BE-E9th

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 10:05 am    

Over past three or four years, I've used S.I.T., Jagwire, D'Adderio and Live Steel strings and can't really tell a lot of difference.
I did work at a hospital and I would take strings to work and look at them under a microscope. I can tell you this that the above mentioned strings look pretty consistent and smooth under a microscope. Ernie Ball strings looked like craters on the moon and you could also so the die marks. Don't know if that would change sound or make them break sooner or what. I'm talking about the plain strings, not wound.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.