The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tight pedal
Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 7:20 pm    

I have a sho bud d10 1974 the A pedal is so stiff can anyone tell me how to free it up. The other 7 Pedals are free Thanks

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 8:23 pm    

Turn it upside down in the open case. Depress the offending pedal and follow the chain of events until you find the cause.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 2:19 am    

What Rick said. You'll have some detective work to find the culprit.
Disconnect the pedal rod, see if the pedal itself is as floppy as the others. It may have partially seized to the axle (but then it'd be stiff on both application and release). Then see if it's the cross-shaft binding, or if that pedal is the only one with the return spring.
Then push on the raise scissors of the 5th and 10th strings, as well as some others (if yours is old enough to be tuned with barrels instead of nylon nuts, just push with the wrench), and see if one of the two strings is stiffer than the others.

Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 4:01 am     Tight pedal

Thanks for comments, I should have said that the pedal bar is not on and the one pedal doesn't flop back and forth like the rest it's tight around the shaft.like if I could oil it some how it would move easer. Any comments thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 4:40 am    

If you can't get oil in around the pedal, you will have to disassemble it, then oil all the pedals and shaft.

I've had "stiff" pedals before and what I did.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 6:20 am    

For ShoBuds, it is quite common for the pedal to bind on the pedal axle in the pedal bar. Easy to dis-assemble- clean it out and re-grease- pay attention to the placement of washers and each pedal when you dis-assemble as they are not always the same. You can tell if it's a problem by detaching the pedal rods and see if the pedals move w/o pressure.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 6:49 am    

Yeah. Take them all off, clean the caked grease off the axle, clean the bores of the pedals. Lightly grease and reassemble.
You might as well do all of the pedals and the whole axle.

Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 8:19 am     Tight pedals

Thanks to all for your help. I took the pedals off the pedal shaft it look like someone put gorilla glue on them so I cleaned off and now they are fine .what a difference.thanks to everyone..

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 9:17 am    

One thing I've thought of doing is drilling a small "oil hole" in each pedal so oil could get down inside the pedal shaft. I've seen other mechanical devices with this and something to consider.