The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymour's Clinesmith D10
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 9:14 am    

Rick:

I think that picture was taken in San Jose. JM was said to be unhappy with the guitar and does not look enthused in the pic.

Bobby Black saw him play this guitar, quite possibly at this same performance. Maybe he took the pic?

Don't think I've seen another picture of it.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 5:16 am    

Well, she's all cabled up. It's a little messy under there, but I feel good about it and it works! Had to experiment a lot with springs etc to get the tension right. I'm planning on replacing some of the odd ball parts when I get back to the states, but it's basically done.ill probably add pedal return springs, though it functions fine without. If you see something that could be done better let me know. If it doesn't involve drilling extra holes in this gorgeous piece of wood, I'll take it up!
Copedent is E9 on front neck pedals ABC. C6 on back neck pedals 567. C and 5 share pedal 3.

Thanks!

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 11:49 am    

Rick Barnhart wrote:
Sorry this is a little off-topic, but this photo gives me a headache. I've never seen a reverse Bigsby, nor heard of one.

That single neck reverse Bigsby exists today, only as a single neck non pedal non-reverse. It sat leaning against Bigsby's wall for a few years as he used its underside parts and pedal rack etc for other guitars. Dick Waring visited the Bigsby shop preparing to take delivery of his on Bigsby pedal steel when he introduced his niece or cousin to PA. Waring explained that his niece or cousin wanted a non pedal to play her Hawaiian music. PA essentially pointed to the carcass of Joaquin leaning against the wall and said he could quickly make something out of that.

When you examine Elsie, you see all the plugged holes and empty screw holes etc that reveal the conversion.

Before I learned the story, I could tell Elsie was Joaquin

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 1:00 pm    

Thank you for posting the backstory, Chris. I always appreciate your input.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 12:38 pm    

I actually think the Joaquin reverse guitar is not the Elsie Jaggers instrument. Though, I agree Elsie's Bigsby was a reverse guitar at one time.
For one, the grain looks different to me, and the Bigsby logo is closer to the endplate on Joaquin's.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 12:59 pm    

It looks like the front apron grain on Elsie moves in opposition to the grain on Joaquin. Could PA have flipped the front apron board so that the backside of Joaquin became the front of Elsie?

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 1:43 pm    

I think if it's the same guitar the front apron was flipped but not back to front, because the dog ears of the end plates are compensated for in the wood, and this would now be evident on the front. The grain just seems upside down. There is an additional discussion of this on the west coast steel guitars of the mid century Facebook page...

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 4:56 pm    

Yes, you are right. The top Deck edge matches the Joaquin grain -- you can see better in other pictures or if you compared in person. But the front apron not so much. The top deck top and undersides tells the story. They had to change the neck because the pickup was originally next to the nut. There are still fingers on this guitar. i would have thought PA would have removed them to reuse, but no. No mechanics of any kind underneath, yet fingers. You can see where the original serial number was obliterated and a new one stamped on the same leg socket but to the side.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 4:59 pm    

"west coast steel guitars of the mid century Facebook page"

Abe, what is that?

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 6:19 pm    

It's possibly the same guitar , but it is speculation. The top deck's edge grain has some similar qualities, but it's hard to say 100%. Joaquin's was not the only reverse guitar.

The Joaquin reverse would not have had those fingers as it was built before the era of the standard finger / bridge Bigsby steel. The guitar was set up as a two pedal, "Isaacs change" guitar at one time in it's life after the reverse conversion.

It would seem like a lot of work to take off a front apron, strip the finish, sand out the name and logo,re joint the then bottom side which is probably road scared and edges slightly chamfered. Then re join that bottom of the apron to the top edge. Loss of material would be a be evident and a concern. I know that generation reused and wasted as little as possible, but it would be a lot easier to just use another piece of Maple if this was indeed what happened.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 6:39 pm    

I was wondering if the grain was reversed because the wood had been split - two aprons had been made from the same piece of wood - like the back of a violin or guitar?

Chris - it's a group on Facebook that I created dedicated to Bigsbys, Wrights, etc. You were among the very first people I invited and I've been wondering why you haven't shown up yet. Jussi, Deke, Chas, Lee and a whole bunch of other enthusiasts are on regularly (b0b too!). Check it out, would love to see you on there.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 6:53 pm    

Elsie has a lot more holes underneath than for just two pedals. The statement that it had two pedals came from Dick Waring or Elsie's recollection years later. There may have been only two pedals remaining when they first saw the guitar leaning against the wall in the shop.

I cannot find my photo of the complete underside. It is lost somewhere in my computer. This pic shows two pedals, but there are holes for more.
Look how the rear underside of the top deck is uncharacteristically filed smooth.

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 7:44 pm    

I have had the guitar at my shop, and yes there were other holes in the guitar . But only two sets for post mid 50's bell cranks and two sets for duck foot pulley bases.

The guitar was set up as a standard two pedal Isaacs change instrument at some time in it's life after the reverse conversion, and I speculate before Elsie owned the guitar.

I asked the current owner a few years back about it being Joaquin's and he said basically, I can't prove it so it's a moot point.

It's a great guitar none the less.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 12:17 pm    

Aren't there holes on the other side, the rear, that show more cranks? It looked to me when I last saw it in person like the rear was once front.

What is R wanting to be done with the guitar?