The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  James/Teresa Morehead
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 5:32 am    

Joseph Napolitano wrote:
I'm also not a lawyer , but at this point isn't this a crime ? There must be laws against this , especially with property crossing state lines.

I am not a lawyer either, but my un-expert opinion is no, this is not a crime. The woman did not take the property from someone else, she apparently has not attempted to re-sell them nor profit from them in any way. From what I read here, there seems to be no attempt on her part to DO anything wrong. They were sent to her husband, not to her, and she may or may not have any legal obligation to follow up (depending on whether she is the executor - but it sounds like there may not be anything to execute).

I agree with the suggestion of a non-threatening letter which will begin creating a paper trail. Hopefully when she sees that the matter HAS to be dealt with, she will allow someone to step in and handle it for her if it's too much for her to do it on her own.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 7:31 am    

I don't believe there was any criminal intent, but there certainly is civil liability. Who knows what kind of record keeper James was? She may not know one Sho-bud from another. Did James label each guitar...each bundle of parts? My guess is that she's overwhelmed, may not know who to trust to help her sort it out. Can you imagine stumbling onto that yard sale? (not that there was a yard sale, just sayin')

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 1:51 pm    

It would be totally irresponsible for him not to tag each guitar in his possession. But, after the crappy job he did in rebuilding my friend's guitar (received in pretty much un-playable condition) I can imagine him not being very responsible.

Tree was involved in his business, as she was mostly the contact we had for getting his guitar finished (took over a year).

Tree has my sympathy, but I can't buy the fact that she didn't/doesn't have time to return guitars and parts to everyone that paid for them.

I hope she can remedy this situation. Due to the lenth of time, I would see if an attorney could do a class action suit against her, and get a court order to get guitars and parts shipped. And I would think that the owners would gladly pay to have their stuff packaged and shipped back to them.

John Kalament

South Carolina
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 2:03 pm     James/Teresa Morehead

Mr. Billings, The list is now up to five people that have sent their Steels to James and Teresa during the last five years and have not received them back. I am in close contact with each person and they all have Documentation,Pictures and the Serial numbers. Every one of us will be willing to pay all the packing and Shipping charges if we could just get Teresa to inform us of what she has stored there. Two of us would also be very happy to make the trip out there to assist her in any way to get the Guitars back to their rightful owners. Again. you are the only person that has contact with her as all of our efforts have failed. Can you (PLEASE) get in touch with her to see what can be worked out to get all this behind us. I don't understand why you won't step up and come forward and let us know what's going on.It makes no sense at all to keep all of our precious Instruments stored in who knows what kind of storage Shed or Facility she has them in.
Your Friends and Fellow Steelers are awaiting your reply.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 2:08 pm    

John,
I also have a rare S-10 Fingertip at Tree's. She's just overwhelmed. I am working with someone to help her out. Doing what I can. The guy I'm working with doesn't want details exposed, and I'm respecting his wishes. This will be solved, but may take some time. I'm doing all I can.
JB
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

William Liemandt

New Mexico
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 3:42 pm    

I'm reading this thread with interest because I, too, have a vested interest in this unfolding tale. See my post under the pedal steel section, last updated 29 May 2017. I've actually no idea if this affects 2, or 20, or 200 people, that are wondering where there guitars are located.

There was a flurry of postings in early November 2015 about this same subject. James was still with us living folks then, and most responded to this thread by saying have some faith and stick with our mate. I agreed and did stick with my sick mate. One interesting fact from those postings was that Teresa Morehead had inadvertently damaged her cell phone. No big deal we might think, it happens all the time. At any rate, it was said then that ALL of the Moreheads contacts were lost when that cell phone was damaged. Has it occurred to anyone that, if indeed that is a fact, then Teresa may really have no way to contact any of the pedal steel guitar owners that had guitars in their shop? If all their records of contacts were kept on a single cell phone, and it was destroyed, how in the world can she contact the guitar owners. From her memory of yours and my telephone conversations with James? Not very likely.

Enter Mr. John Billings into this tale. He was the self-declared defacto contact representative for James Morehead, during the period the Moreheads were moving from OK to AR, and also during the time when James was too sick to make forum posts. Mr. Billings said on forum posts, on multiple occasions, that anyone with concerns should contact him, and go through him, and that he would forward info/data to the Moreheads.

Shortly after James's most untimely and unfortunate passing (may he rest in peace- as he was indeed a brother of mine), Mr. Billings posted on the forum that anyone that had a guitar should contact him, provide him with guitar information to include make, model, serial number, other details, and that he would provide this information to Teresa Morehead. Details and arrangements would be worked out. That was in August 2016.

Meanwhile, the clock was running, as to estate claims, and answering the estate executor's public newspaper proclamations for 90 (or whatever) day responses, etc...

I had three correspondences with Mr. Billings between August and December 2016, and he answered all of my enquires with seemingly valid excuses. Since January 2017 I've sent three or four more correspondences to him and he has yet to answer any of my queries. He has responded to other (off subject) posts I've made, even recently, but will not answer any questions from me on this subject.

This thread seems to be concentrating on Teresa Morehead, for all the obvious reasons. I'm still tending to give the widow a break, and let James and Teresa's spokesman, Mr. John Billings, offer his explanation of what is going on. He has declined, upon numerous requests from me, to give me contact information for Teresa Morehead. Yet, we know from his forum postings that he has that information.

Mr. Billings, please respond, not just to me, but to all the forum members that have a stake or interest in this matter, and have been waiting most patiently for years for answers.

Your previous response about doing all you can and keeping names private just won't cut it anymore - that's total nonsense. Too much time has passed for too many people. Did you or did you not forward the requested names and details to Teresa? You told all of us you were the man to contact. You, sir, have some serious explaining to do.

William

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 6:04 pm    

I have no explaining to do! I have sent names to Tree, and am doing all I can to help resolve this situation. But it's not my situation! I just know Tree. That's all You're dragging me into this is off base. I can't really do anything, but I'm trying. Get off my case John.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 6:52 pm    

Hindsight is 20/20, but Im assuming nobody had even an informal written contract ?

I can relate, as Ive sent nearly
every steel Ive owned to someone for some kind of work, and never asked for one.

what if the recipient passed away ? Id have no contract, and not sure I could prove ownership with just a fedex airbill.

lesson learned ? shippers and recievers could benefit from a basic simple generic contract, stuff happenas

I understand Tree had a bit of steel knowledge, but if you knocked on my wifes door, good luck. She wouldnt have a clue.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 7:11 pm    

Teresa knows how to use a computer because in the years gone by I conversed with her, not James. If she does not have a computer now she could go to the public library and use one because I would think they still have an account with the Forum. And a family friend or a family member surely has one she could use. All she has to do is make a post on here and let folks know what is going on. Does she still have the guitars or not. Let people know where she is so they can go pick them up. Being overwhelmed is no excuse, it has been two years plus. She is not the only woman to lose her mate and have to deal with their estate. As said earlier my heart aches for her and my prayers go out to her and her family but she needs to get it together and take care of this. Because someday their will be that knock on her door with the Sheriff and Warrant in hand. Anyone can be found in this day and time and she should know that. At some point their will be someone here that she has their guitar and they will say enough is enough and spend the money to get it back. And if she has sold the guitars that would not be a good thing. I truly hope that is not the case. Mr. Billings, I know that you are just a friend and got pulled into this by just being that and trying to help and you do not deserve any bad comments but respectfully sir I hope you are encouraging her to deal with this before it becomes ugly because I think that it will. It is not going to go away. Someone will find her. J.R. Rose

John Kalament

South Carolina
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 12:06 pm     James/Teresa Morehead

Mr. Billing's, J R Rose had a great suggestion, Wouldn't it be so comforting if Teresa could post something on the forum just to let us know if she has some kind of plan to get our the Guitar's back in our possession ? Even if she is no longer a forum member perhaps she could enlighten you as to her plans and you could then convey them on to us. I'm also a little confused about your statement that you have someone to help her out,.... help her with the return of our Guitars, ask us for our Shipping Addresses,Phone numbers or do you mean with just things around her house. Why is there always so much secrecy surrounding you and Teresa ? Why do you always profess to want to help us out but after all your posts we're still all left in the dark. Again, I'm not just speaking for myself, I'm trying to be the voice for so many of us that have lost our Cherished Instruments and not really knowing if we will ever see them again.