The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey 1501-4
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 1:38 pm    

Just wondering how the Peavey 1501-4 speaker compares to the Eminence 15 and the Telonics 15. I used to have a 1501-4 and as I recall, it was a pretty darn good speaker. If you were to get a 1501-4, would you be inclined to get one with the original magnet, or the neo magnet? I think there is only about 5 pounds difference in weight. Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to reply.

Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 1:19 pm    

Hi George, I have tried all three in various amps, and I always go back to the 1501. I have one Peavey neo magnet and tried to order another earlier this year , but was told they have been discontinued. The PV neo mags were very pricey, $157 USD + shipping! BTW, I sold the Telonics and the Eminence 15, they just weren't for me.

Marty

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 1:35 pm     Peavey 1501-4

Marty,
Thanks for the reply. I think Peavey uses a Neo 1501-4 in the new Session 500 but the speakers don't appear to be for sale on the Peavey web site. Maybe I'll try to contact Mike Brown to find out.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 5:07 pm    

One more vote for the 1501. Those and D/K-130 speakers are my favorite steel speakers.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 6:37 am    

Hey George,

Right now, the 1501-4 with Neo Magnet is not available except in the new Session 115 and the Session Extension Speaker.
I am hoping that since these are still made in the USA, that production will get up to speed and they will be available.

I want one myself for a NV400.

Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 6:40 am     1501-4

Thanks Bill.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 5:20 pm    

My experience was quite different. I find EPS 15 Neo to be a sweeter sounding more musical speaker than 1501. I got rid of both of mine in Session and LTD and never looked back. The weight reduction was a big bonus too. Had to break them in but once that happened it was fine. Nice to have lighter speaker and actually like the tone better. Not all agree though so may not be for you.