The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  lightweight bass amp combo
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 6:24 am    

After back surgery I'm looking to scale down weightwise and am asking for recommendations.... i.e. Roland Bass Cube or anything in that category. Do not want to bother with separate amp and speaker

Thank you
Larry King

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 7:16 am    

You might look into the Gallien Krueger 'MB 112' or '115' series amps. The stock '112' weighs less than 30 pounds, is capable of more than adequate volume for most clubs, and sounds good as well. I replaced the factory speaker in mine with a Sica neo 112, (a bit more steel guitar friendly than the original) and now the unit weighs closer to 25 pounds.

John Ely

Minneapolis Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 9:32 am     Lightweight Bass Combo Amp

I use a Fender Rumble series bass amp.
They're available in 15-500 watt sizes.
100 W amp with 1 x 12" speaker weighs 22 lbs.
They're very light, sound great, are available at many stores, and are in my mind relatively inexpensive.
I'm very pleased with mine, and like it even more every time I try to lift a comparable Ampeg.
Good luck.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 9:37 am     Re: Lightweight Bass Combo Amp

John Ely wrote:
I use a Fender Rumble series bass amp.
They're available in 15-500 watt sizes.
100 W amp with 1 x 12" speaker weighs 22 lbs.
They're very light, sound great, are available at many stores, and are in my mind relatively inexpensive.
I'm very pleased with mine, and like it even more every time I try to lift a comparable Ampeg.
Good luck.

^^^Yes!
I played thru one of these (100w) at a studio session not too long ago and thought it sounded amazing. I asked the engineer if it was heavy - he told me to pick it up. Super light. If I buy a new combo, it just might be one of these.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 1:31 pm    

We use a Fender Rumble with a 12" speaker in our band. It sounds really good with plenty of volume. One astounding feature is, that, you can literally pick it up with one finger through the strap. Amazing!

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 3:01 pm    

Phil Jones Briefcase is pretty well regarded, and light.

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 8:20 am    

The new generation of bass amps use a Class D digital power amp. That's why they're so much lighter. I have a Peavey Max 110 (newest model with knobs on the top). Not many frills (no DI nor extension jack), but it's light and sounds good. Of course, I'm playing bass through it. Wouldn't consider it as a steel amp.

Dan Kimpel

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 10:39 am    

Michael Holland wrote:
The new generation of bass amps use a Class D digital power amp. That's why they're so much lighter. I have a Peavey Max 110 (newest model with knobs on the top). Not many frills (no DI nor extension jack), but it's light and sounds good. Of course, I'm playing bass through it. Wouldn't consider it as a steel amp.

I've used my Peavey MiniMega bass amp head with a 12" bass cab with tweeter for pedal steel and it worked fairly well. Plenty of clean power, but I prefer a tube amp sound personally. Bass amps provide the necessary clean headroom and if you've got a tweeter in your cab it has the range required. Add in a good EQ and you've got yourself some amplification!

Dan Kimpel

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 10:42 am    

To the original poster, the GK stuff is pretty good sounding, but I've had my MB210 fry something twice now. It was fixable but I've since stopped relying on that amp(I play a lot of my gigs on bass). I've noticed that separate head and cab arrangements tend to last longer, because the electrical components are not being vibrated apart quite as much. Although when I was using combo amps and having these troubles I was playing 5 nights a week, so I don't think it should be a problem if you aren't quite as busy(and rough on your gear as I was). That's just my 2 cents, I hope you find something that works for you.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 7:19 am    

I've been using a MarkBass. Really great amp! Light and expressive. Has a balanced DI-out and can even power an extension cabinet. Check'em out

Jim Robertson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 7:47 am    

I've been using a GK 15" combo for bass gigs for several years. 27lbs. and plenty of headroom for any situation. It sounds great, too.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 4:41 pm    

It's a separate head, but the GK MB200 can easily be built into a cabinet. I have one, with a 12" neo speaker, it weighs about 20 lbs. I also have a Carvin BX 500 head, built into a cabinet with a 15" neo speaker, it weighs about 32 lbs. There are many options to consider. You can search many prior threads about these amps and find lots of pictures and details.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 8:16 am    

I play in two different bands that use this particular combo it's light it's powerful and sonically versatile

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tc-electronic-bg250-210-250w-2x10-bass-combo-with-2-toneprint-slots

Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 3:43 am     combo

here ya go

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=314050

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 4:25 am    

I also wanted something small for the "once in a while" I get to play bass.
Plus I needed a backline bass amp for the Georgia Steel Guitar Asssociation.
This one works GREAT.

At 40 pounds and fairly inexpensive.

AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 6:21 am    

I had a little 000 acoustic guitar, built from a Martin Kit that has been in the closet for quite a while. Yesterday I took it to San Antonio to Sam Ash and traded even for a Fender Rumble 100. Brought it home, hooked it up t0 PSG, RV3 into the effects loop,,,VERY VERY impressed so for,,,plus 22 lbs!!!!! Unbelievable!!!

Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 9:19 am    

Haven't tried them on steel guitar, but I'm a big fan of MarkBass combos, really lightweight, and great sounding.

Doug Hall

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 12:48 pm     Light bass amp reco

I'm a big fan of my Peavey Max 112 bass. Lightweight, powerful enough (200W), great tone and bottom (if you're not trying to break windows), built-in tuner, low Z direct out. I picked this amp up new at GuitarCenter to play a benefit show at an American Legion, not wanting to drag out my 700W rig. Carried amp, bass gig bag slung over my shoulder, and cord bag in with one trip. Plus there's the Peavey reputation behind the equipment. (It also sounds very good with steel if you throw in a delay pedal.)

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 2:13 pm    

Dan Kimpel wrote:
To the original poster, the GK stuff is pretty good sounding, but I've had my MB210 fry something twice now. It was fixable but I've since stopped relying on that amp(I play a lot of my gigs on bass).

How much $$$ was the repair?