The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pick blocking adjacent strings
Dave Manion

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 10:03 pm    

Hey forumites!

I use all sorts of blocking-palm, the bar, the sides of my fingers, my elbow, my nose-and EVEN some pick blocking at times! Never thought too much about it, except for-does it work and feel and sound good? I've ran into a snag in my technique, (yup-I've searched pick blocking and read the existing threads) and I thought I could get some folks individual insights on this:

-When I pick block a single note phrase on two adjacent strings with my INDEX and MIDDLE fingers (my thumb is probably anchored below somewhere), when I go to block with my index finger and pick with my middle on the next higher string, I often hit the higher string with the back of my index finger. D'oh!

I get the idea of the basic "fix". I need to adjust the attack angle and/or pick shape to be able to block the string with the index finger without hitting the string above it. Adjust until it works, find the way it works for you...

Specifically-I was thinking along with some slight adaptations to my right hand setup, potentially I should look into re shaping my picks, maybe with more curve? My picks are less curved than alot I've seen in youtube vids and such, and perhaps this explains a reason why people curve them so drastically? Helps you get that string without the back of the finger contacting the one above? I'm reasonable happy with my tone and right hand setup, but am always looking to fine tune it.

If anyone has encountered this, I just wanted to know any more specifics thoughts you might have regarding this issue. Apologies if this covers the oldest of the stomping grounds...
Thanks!!

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 3:18 pm    

Oh! I like my picks pretty straight, and fitting close to my fingertips. I find that really curved picks are hard to play aggressively with, and I am definitely a very firm picker! I like the picks to feel as close to bare fingers as possible. I don't get guys who bend their picks way over and barely touch the strings. Brightman looked at my right hand and said, "Interesting, but it really works for tone."
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 6:03 pm    

I remember reading about a conversation like this in "A manual of Style"...I think...

The one player was mentioning that another picker wears his picks straight out, like plowing a row for planting...

I can't wear them like that, I end up getting caught in the strings when trying to speed pick.

It is all in what we are comfortable with, I suppose. Mine are curved up close to my fingertips. I don't feel that I am in control of the picks if they are straight out, long past the tip of the finger...they feel too "springy" for me.

As far as hitting an adjacent string; I used to have this happen with the Dunlop fingerpicks, where the "ears" of them are kinda curved, and would seem to catch alot of the times on the string above where I was picking.

Sometimes, it would even snag the pick, pulling it off my finger. I've sine switched to "flatter ear" picks, and I don't have that problem.

Propik is one, National NP2 is a good one.I also have a set of Ernie Ball that is pretty good. Don't know if that info helps, I hope it is relevant to your issue.

Dave Manion

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 6:10 pm    

Thanks gents!

I don't have much problem with the picks getting caught, but my index does tend to mute the string above it. I think I just need to keep adjusting a bit as I try new techniques.

Mr. Billings-I've never liked really curved picks either...Always felt they "slipped off" the string more than dug in, like I like.

I would tend to sacrifice some of the fluency for better feel overall.

Thanks

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 8:08 pm    

Just let your fingers rest on 3 adjacent strings, then try to pick with only middle while keeping the thumb and index at rest. Pick repeatedly until you get a clear tone. Pick hard and soft. Take a good close look at what's going on there and see if you can make the adjustment to your finger or hand position and not mess with your pick shape. Try this on different sets of adjacent strings too (3-4-5, 4-5-6, etc). It could be just a matter of your pick dropping down too far between the strings.

My pick blocking suffers from the same disorder, btw...

Dave Manion

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 8:42 am    

That's exactly what it is Fred. My index dips too low when it rests on string, and that causes to back of the finger to touch the next string over.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 2:12 pm    

Cool. So correcting it is just a matter of repetition with your index raised up just enough to block its own string and no others, until the muscles "remember".