The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buying vintage lap steel or new Clinesmith ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:09 am    

Lately I have been wanting to buy just "one more" lap steel and I have been tossing around the idea of a Clinesmith or a vintage Gibson, preferably 8 string models. I realize this is a personal preference thing and has been discussed before on the forum, but none the less I would like your opinions on the matter. I mostly like to play Hawaiian, standards (30s, 40s, etc) and some classic country. If you would prefer to pm me with your thoughts, that would be great. The price really isnt an issue here, nor is resale value, I just want more food for thought on this decision. With the new one I wouldnt have to worry about electronics, tuners, etc. and I am leaning in that direction. I have heard a lot of good things about the Clinesmith. I know, I know, I could buy both ! I dont think thats an option.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:32 am    

I own two Clinesmith console guitars. They are meticulously built and historically correct. I'm not adept with a soldering iron, so for me, the choice is clear... when I'm ready for another new lap steel, it will be a Clinesmith.

Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 11 Jun 2017 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Russell Davis

Fort Worth Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:37 am    

Clinesmith all the way is my vote! Todd is a master craftsman and a great guy to work with. You won't regret the purchase.

Russell

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:46 am    

Wow, that was quick response and exactly the confirmation I was looking for ! Thanks for the input...my mind was pretty well made up, but just wanted some input from Clinesmith owners and so I appreciate it. Not to say, dont post anything more, I am not closing the thread but I have already heard from two well thought of names on the forum and I appreciate it very much !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 8:23 am    

Here's another Clinesmith vote for all the reasons given above.

Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 11:36 am    

What a Chris, Russell and Rick said^^^. Plus, Todd is a monster gentlemen and a joy to work with. He's as good as it gets.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 12:01 pm    

I have a variety of vintage steels: Gibsons, Rickenbackers, Nationals... and my Clinesmith ranks up there with the best of them. It's a distinctive sound, not redundant with anything else I have, but with a definite vintage vibe.

Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 12:30 pm    

A Clinesmith D8 plank with maple necks, 24.5 in scale length, stepped fretboard height, Stringmaster string spacing, extra thick planks and legs would be a fine choice.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 12:35 pm    

I really do appreciate all of the input and respect your opinions...you have supplied me with the enforcement I was hoping to get ! Smile I will contact Todd this next week and get started.
thanks

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 4:18 pm    

Here's another vote for the Clinesmith. I've had three of Todd's guitars, and they've all been top notch. Very vintage vibe, but without the baggage that comes with an older guitar.

I love my vintage guitars--mainly old Ricks--but if I could only keep one non-pedal steel, it would be my 10 string Clinesmith plank, with my 8 string cast aluminum Clinesmith right behind it.

Dave

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 5:20 pm    

Clinesmith. I have two. They are IT.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:10 pm    

Clinesmith Cast Aluminum.....as it is just "different" from anything else you may play. Sustains for days. Just a monster steel.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:15 pm    

From an old friend, Larry... Wink

I don't have a Clinesmith, but I've had two PA Reissues which are the predecessors of the Clinesmith. I also own an original Bigsby.

If you've ever had the serious envy for a Bigsby, a Clinesmith is as close as you'll ever get, and probably built with more precision than an original. Virtually indistinguishable from the vintage and totally worth whatever you're gonna pay.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 7:09 pm    

Thanks for the encouragement Herb, and good to hear from you. I obviously value your opinion...I did write the check today for the deposit to have Todd build me one.

BTW, you arent so "old"...I (think) we are the same age...haha
Smile

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 5:51 am    

Sent in order yesterday for a Joaquin S8 model Smile

Thanks to those who responded...I know I wont be disappointed and it will definately be worth the wait !

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 9:45 pm     Something to look forward to getting

Hi Larry,
Something to look forward to getting for sure.
I think I got my deposit in a few days before you so expect they will be done together.
I have no doubt it's worth a wait.
Couldn't decide between a console and the same lap model your getting, so I've ordered both.
The console will be about a years wait, but that's still faster than Bigsby used to do them.
From what I've seen Todds work is better than the original.
I'd love a Bigsby just because of what they represent, but I doubt I'd be able to afford one in this lifetime unless a long lost uncle dies in Nigeria.
My only regret is I doubt I play well enough to deserve it, but I'm happy to be getting them.
The console will be a D-8 short scale and may be able to get pedals & changer for it later, but if not thats not a big issue.
Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 5:39 am     Re: Something to look forward to getting

Andy De Paule wrote:
Hi Larry,
Something to look forward to getting for sure.

My only regret is I doubt I play well enough to deserve it, but I'm happy to be getting them.

Best wishes,
Andy

I know I dont play well enough to deserve it, but will make me practice harder ! Smile

Congratulations on your two orders...wow...I would love to have the console like you ordered, but....out of my range !

We should keep in touch...since you are in Oregon, maybe you will be able to see yours in progress from time to time ?

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 6:07 am     His work is really fine.

Will send a PM in a few minutes.
Yes his steels are something worth having.
One way to look at the console is that if it takes a year you could save some $$$ every month until it's ready...
Depending on if your married and can convince your wife it's an investment. Laughing
Thats the old trick for collectors I've known.
Oh, come to think of it, most of them are divorced! Whoa! Shocked
Best wishes,
Andy
Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 6:17 am    

I can't say enough about my Clinesmiths. I have no need to ever look at another guitar, because it is everything I need. In addition to my aluminum S8 and my walnut S8, I also have a D10 Leo Meets PA, for when I want to do some experimenting. But for my day-to-day musical needs, I've never bonded with any other instruments like my cast model.

I only used one single neck guitar on my recording. I think that shows the kind of versatility of the instrument. Start with a great sounding, great playing instrument, and the rest is in your hands.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 7:32 am     Mike Neer

Hello Mike,
Love your videos.
Thanks for sharing them on youtube.
Best wishes,
Andy

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 12:32 pm    

Seems none of you have discovered the CANOPUS...strange.
I have 3 CANOPUS guitars, 2 single, 1 double. They are awesome instruments especially the "Buckie". Very well made, excellent p/u's, great sound. I notice many steelers in Hawaii have discovered these fine instruments.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 12:44 pm    

When my niece was getting married in Hawaii 27 years ago, Barney Isaacs was one of the steel players in the band. He played a D-8 Canopus which struck me as a Stringmaster copy.

It sounded good and Barney was a really friendly man who instantly pegged me as a musician 😎. I bought him a drink and we chatted on the two breaks the band took.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 1:16 pm    

George Keoki Lake wrote:
[b]Seems none of you have discovered the CANOPUS...strange.

Odd comment...do a forum search on Canopus and you will find many threads in regards to them. This thread was about Clinesmiths mainly.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 8:38 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
I can't say enough about my Clinesmiths. I have no need to ever look at another guitar, because it is everything I need.

I love your playing also...I especially like "Round Midnight"...I like the way Wes Montgomery played it on guitar and Julie London sang it, and now your playing of it on steel ! Great song, IMHO Smile Thanks for all of your postings on youtube !

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 9:19 am    

Another heavy hitter who owns a Clinesmith is Isaac Akuna. I wasn't able to find the thread, but he mentioned that his console was custom made with his specific scale and string spacing. He said he spent years searching attics for vintage guitars with "that" tone and now that he "found" his Clinesmith, (it just washed up on the beach, as I recall) the search was over. Try to dig it up that old thread, it's worth the read.

Found it: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2189037&highlight=#2189037