The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Position exercise for A6 or C6 high G
Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 5:38 pm    

This is a little exercise in position playing. It is a blues lick in Bb that runs between a root note at top and bottom. There are other ways of playing this lick but this exercise outlines four different scale/chord positions.

As an exercise, I play the sequence A B C D C B A etc.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 7:22 pm    

Yar! Good-un... Do you know what's a VERY important skill for sax players, peener players, and especially underarm guitarists? CHROMATIC PASSING NOTES. I don't play peeaners or blowtubes, but on an electic guitar those little fill-in licks where you play three notes on one string with index, middle then ring finger (vice-versa too) are critical, AND inserting and removing that middle fingered note allows you to shift the timings of where the outer, countour notes pop up. Just LOOK at the shape of the diatonic scale on a guitar - every two notes a whole-step apart can be played as THREE notes except for the b9. Usually, unless not? Further, there are "pictures" where FOUR ascending or descending chromies can be slurped in thar.

Guess what the vast majority of steel players are... kinda "unversed" at? Yep. Try to learn ONE Kenny Burrell or Jerry Garcia GUITAR solo ON a steel and your quivering uselessness may well be revealed. Man, it screws up your picking, you can't tell if they're in tune AS A CHROMATIC because it's already "wrong" against the chords... I try to attack my lame-est habits and that's maybe THE JUICIEST ONE. The only steel players I've heard who really "got it" are Tom Morell and Dave Easley* and I'll be darned if I know what PLANET they're on, much less how to steal their stuff. Snif... I know, start slow, practice 27 hours a day rah rah rah. Snif.... I'm worn out just THINKING about it, Nap Time! Very Happy

*(Gotta be Mike Neer too, you CAN'T play Monk without 'em. Me eat wooly mammoth, me go listen. Ugh.)

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 1:01 pm    

Well yeah, Dave, I think.... Always feel at the back of the pack trying to keep up with the fiddles and underarm guys. Some chromatic passing notes here. As a speed exercise, I would use alternate picking with two fingers only.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 3:18 pm    

Thanks for this.
Printed it off and will have a go at it...Jerry