The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy's thumb pick
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 7:51 pm    

Saw a video of Buddy in his basement being interviewed and playing some "Buddy". To me his thumb pick looked like the one below, Fred Kelly-white. I have been using one for 3 years, stays on your thumb, love what it does to the low strings.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 4:16 am     Buddy's Thumb Pick

I use the orange ones... Called "Speed Picks", although it didn't do a thing for my slow thinking. They stay on very well and don't seem to be effected by ambient heat like some. I like them, but some will not.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 4:40 am    

When my old, blue pick that I must have gotten from Jeff Newman 30+ years ago finally wore down to an unusable condition, I scrounged around my house looking for a suitable alternative and came up with an old but barely used, orange "speed pick". Decided to try it out again after having abandoned it many years ago, and found that it works quite well. So now it's my regular pick. I don't think it has any effect on my speed per se but as a general, all-around thumb pick, it seems to be working fine for me.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 5:14 am    

I endorse those. Smile Actually I don't use finger picks but keep the orange one around because they work best. And are comfortable.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 7:34 am    

The white one is a more stiff pick, I like it because I tend to play with more aggression than many players. Also I play harder, get it?

Phone: 971-219-8533

Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 7:25 pm    

I've been using these for 7-8 years. (White ones). I found that the tang is much shorter that standard thumb picks and it significantly helped improve speed and control of playing and blocking on lower strings. I always found traditional picks awkward and would occasionally trip over my thumb when playing. Since using speed picks, I haven't had that problem. I think it's mainly due to the fact that my hand is now closer to the strings that made blocking much easier. I'm not sure if this is cheating somehow and if I'm sacrificing some important techniques by not using "proper" thumb picks. Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 7:36 am    

If Buddy used it, it has to be "proper". Very Happy

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 7:38 am    

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 4:53 am    

I use the Kelly speed picks (white) when playing Tele. Kelly thumb pick and bare fingers.

I use Herco blue thumbs for PSG. I have occasionally forgot or gotten lazy and when I switched back to PSG just left the Kelly on and added the finger picks.

I found the Kelly sometimes making my thumb sore before I learned to shape it using hot water. They are very easy to form fit.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 4:32 pm    

Made of delrin, and last forever.

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 5:10 pm    

I use them also. They give a really nice crisp attack to the notes