The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Leo LeBlanc..Gone but Not Forgotten
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 6:21 am    

There it is!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 8:23 am    

His ride from this song is a part of my warmup routine:

https://youtu.be/Zl8mOT07T90?t=2m27s

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 11:28 am    

Tim, Leo got a very unique and wonderful tone, some of which could be attributed to that guitar. So when you're restoring it, you should keep that in mind. Don't do anything dramatic like adding rollers, etc. But you probably figured that out already.

Joe

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 12:34 pm    

My first steel lesson was with Leo, and I learned a cool break to Jambalaya in 1975.

Tim Fleming

Pasadena, CA. The other Rose City (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 10:13 am    

I have done a few gigs over the past few years with Thomas LeBlanc, a fine drummer and son of Leo.
One night he asked if I'd be interested in the guitar - Dude, you don't have to ask me twice.

As far as the restoring goes, I really just want to clean it up and get it working. I have no intention of modifying it at all. Then, I'll most likely give it back to Thomas, as it's way too short (24.5" floor to bottom skirt) for me to play.
I have full respect for it's provenance and won't do anything to alter its appearance or mechanics.

Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 11:35 am    

Hi
Got an old 45 record of him
"Roll steel roll/ Boil them cabbage down" on the old Mosrite label.

Jeremy Reeves

Chatham, IL, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2024 12:19 pm    

bump - anyone have knowledge/pics of a custom made fuzzbox Leo LeBlanc used in the mid/late 60s?

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2024 8:55 pm    

My friend Gary Kaye just sent me this video of John Prine live with Leo playing the Endicott steel. It’s from 1980.
https://youtu.be/1HSm3a6YnO4?si=pPsJK8XNrMLOLl7n

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2024 7:36 am    

Great video Dave, it's a gem, I got to meet John years ago, what a nice and humble guy. Got to see him many times live.

Also a big fan of Leo, especially on the things he played on with Jerry Jeff.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2024 5:36 pm    

That Endicott guitar was a Sho~Bud knock-off, pull release guitar, much like an early Marlen, a Miller, and a couple others; in 1960, a steel guitar looked like a Bigsby, Fender, or Sho~Bud, so that's what builders built. That combination of design characteristics gave those guitars that delicious "transparent" sound on the first 5 strings. Very sought-after guitars here in TX.

I knew Rex Endicott because we played some of the same joints in LA during the late 60's early 70's. Rex was somewhat older than me, and was a great guy. I don't believe he made many guitars; Leo's and Rex's own guitar are the only Endicotts I've personally seen.

I believe he moved back to Oklahoma around the same time I moved to Texas. I lost track of him at that time, and I'm almost certain he's passed on. If some Oklahoma players remember Rex, please chime in.

The commercial recordings posted here feature some excellent examples of Leo's skill. But call me a curmudgeon; the posted live video, IMHO, completely underutilizes his playing. I was hoping to hear Leo's cool stuff on that cool old horn. I was watching the show and kept thinking "when are they gonna let Leo play?" I mean, TWO lead guitar solos and a fiddle solo on a song but no steel solo? What, steel can't play blues? And on one song the brilliant decision was made to have B-3 organ playing whole note chords in the exact register of Leo's only meaningful solo of the night, completely obliterating the steel. Who thought up THAT arrangement?

Prine was a great songwriter, no dispute. But like many singer/songwriters in that era, steel frequently was wasted on them, with some exceptions, of course.

The above IMHO only, your mileage may vary.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2024 5:48 pm    

I really liked Leo’s playing a lot with Red Simpson. He and Gene Moles played so seamlessly together.