The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National fingerpicks
Ashoke kumar Das

West Bengal, India
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 5:25 pm    

What is the thinnest guage of National Fingerpicks made by metal and how many model and gauges are there of National Fingerpicks?
Thanks.Ashoke.

Ashoke kumar Das

West Bengal, India
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 9:16 am     National fingerpicks

I want to buy the fingerpicks (national).Any suggestion?

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 12:28 pm     Finger picks

eBay!

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 5:17 pm     Re: National fingerpicks

Ashoke kumar Das wrote:
I want to buy the fingerpicks (national).Any suggestion?

Elderly Instruments carries them, among many other vendors.
https://www.elderly.com/national-np2-nickel-silver-finger-picks-set-of-four.htm

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 9:02 am    

I think if you want to buy finger picks by the gauge you'll need to buy Dunlops. That's one of the reasons why I prefer their picks, I prefer the lighter gauges.
A .025 pick is just to heavy for me, they're hard to shape to the finger.

Ashoke kumar Das

West Bengal, India
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 9:21 am     National fingerpicks

Well Erv,I do agree with you. I have very old National NP-2 thumbpicks. But I'm comfortable with the Dunlop.its really hard to mold.Anyhow I am watching in website National has NP-1,NP-2S,NP-1 8W,NP-1 7T etc.Are they all into .025 gauges?
Thanks.Ashoke.[/b]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 9:55 am    

As far as I know, they are all the .025 gauge.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 10:36 am    

Dunlop makes them in .013, .015, .018, .020, .025

Ralph Czitrom

Ringwood, New Jersey
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 11:04 am    

Just my two cents, but I like the .013 gauge because it's easy to shape the picks to fit my fingers, as opposed to the other way around when using thicker gauge picks.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 11:11 am     finger picks

A Pair of Needle Nose Pliers makes EZ Work of bending and shaping metal finger picks Regardless of the gauge of thickness.

While there many varieties of finger picks now available, I highly Recommend everyone trying out "Pro Pick" Brand.

Places like Steel Guitar North County , Oceanside California and Sill Music Supply carry these modern high quality picks. Both are Forum Regulars.

I tried them on a Whim, and never looked back to any of the others.

Hope this adds to this discussion.
YouTube Channel

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 6:57 pm    

Double or Nothing! At LEAST two pair of pliers, so you're bending the bands and the tip exactly where you want to be bending them. And, always, always have at LEAST two pairs of picks (threeby if you're ring fingering!) Sitting in front of a steel guitar dicking around with your picks for half-an-hour is NOT practicing music. You keep one pair (and two pliers) around when you're watching TV or other such relaxing. You bend away on them till they're GREAT, then that pair becomes your playing pair and the former playing pair is your fiddle-diddle pair. Each pair gets better than the last, and Lo and Behold! Your picks fit great and your practice time is filled with MUSIC.

I use these giant-banded ones called "ACRI" and they've solved... every pick problem under the moon. But I reshape and shorten the point and... really kind of WAIL on 'em. Same shape but I have to bend in a home base? Very Happy One might get a little obsessive, if one wasn't careful about that. Very Happy

https://www.elderly.com/acri-fingerpick-106188.htm

You're ALWAYS going to be wondering if "these" are better than "those" and the other... well, if you've got the coinage, you might as well just jump. A pair of medium and a pair of of large Acris... A pair of Dunlops in 0.018" another at 0.0225", perhaps a few EXTRA pair of National NP-2s so you can CONTRAST different angles. That'll tell you if 0.025" is workable.I don't believe there's ANY substitute or shortcuts to figuring out what fits and works with your hands and mind. And, it changes.

Kyser picks are a lot like Nationals, but some people swear by their secret magic powers; "ProPiks" do interesting things with split bands, FIFTY-FOUR varieties! Holy Moly! also interesting things with the ANGLES of the blade. but I have pliers for that. There's a LOT of poofy-priced ones out there now - hand-crafted by elite jewelers in secret mountain hideaways, micro-polish, cobalt plating, secret metal alloy, Earl SCRUGGS used... the metal on Ebay "vintage" picks has aged so well the picks will play YOU (?) Etc.

There's 117 fingerpicks at Elderly Music, and each one is better than the others! It really takes on the trappings of a religion, including serpents telling you that some pick is "worth" $25... fetish objects, secret metals, prophets, the whole regalia. Welcome aboard! heh heh heh...

(I have to ask - are you classical? Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Brij Bhushan Kabra etc.? because Debashish Bhattacharya is one of my Big Three - right up on Mt. Rush-some-more, beside Duane Allman and Miles Davis. If I DON'T listen to Nata Raaj once a day I forget where the limits are.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphndG4UnSo&list=PLL5UPeN3mC5_D92oSqzy2700DZl0-vo9u&index=3
hot diggity...

Ashoke kumar Das

West Bengal, India
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 10:53 pm     National fingerpicks

Hi David,sometimes I play the Indian classical arrengment. But I also play eastern tunes and Indian light music related with chord arrengment.Ashoke.