The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modding a Vintage MSA?
Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 11:30 pm    

I have a 1973 MSA Classic S10 with 3 & 4. It's all original except for a rod that failed and the ball joints that connect the rods with the foot pedals (not sure of the correct term...)

I like this guitar, it was my first stable PSG, and it's been the one I've learned the most on.

I've been wanting to add a 5th knee lever to it while the parts are still available, and I ordered a parts kit for the extra knee lever.

I should have thought of this before I ordered the parts, but will adding a knee lever hurt the value of the guitar?

I don't plan to sell her, and it would be nice to have that extra lever, but I want to make sure I'm not damaging the value of the instrument.

Also, as I said, I'm committed to buying the parts kit whether I have 'em installed or not.

I'm in the market for a new guitar as well... Should I leave the old MSA stock and spend the extra cash on the new guitar?

Or should I follow through, upgrade the MSA, and then get a new guitar as well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 7:22 am    

It will not hurt the value Jay- might even increase it a bit. For the most part, you will find that pedal steels are not like Les Pauls, early Teles, etc. where modding decreases the value.

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 8:07 am    

Thank you!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 5:22 pm    

What Jim said. If you install it right, it'll increase, but unfortunately probably less than the cost of the kit.
If you are installing a vertical, remember that the lever stop is a wood screw into the deck under the "pull" that transmits energy from lever to cross-shaft.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:10 pm    

I didn't care much for the old Classic original vertical knee levers, so I made my own, loosely similar to the newer MSA knee levers. I don't make them to sell, but I think Michael Yahl could.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:48 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
If you are installing a vertical, remember that the lever stop is a wood screw into the deck under the "pull" that transmits energy from lever to cross-shaft.

I'm having it installed professionally. I can barely keep the thing in tune when everything's put back together and working as it's supposed to... LOL

Darvin Willhoite wrote:
I didn't care much for the old Classic original vertical knee levers, so I made my own, loosely similar to the newer MSA knee levers. I don't make them to sell, but I think Michael Yahl could.

That's very nice, thanks for sharing. I will forward this to the person doing the work.

I don't have much to compare to, but apparently the "lever kit" was manufactured specifically for this year and style of guitar. I will post more info on the work after it's done.

Thanks for the encouragement! Cool