The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Session 500 help.
Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 10:24 am    

Accidently plugged in my Hilton pedal from the wrong jack.had it in the instrument jack going into amp.lost amp power, figured it was fuse hopefully.couldnt find the 8 amp 250 volt fuse but got a 7.5 amp. It blew immediately.with quite a hum.it was a fuse from auto zone.do i need an 8 amp.or do I have wrong type fuses? Thanks for any advice, Jerry

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 11:42 am    

What Jack did you plug it into?
Unless you plugged into a speaker output, I can't think of how you could kill the amp.
I'd try 7.5A Slo-Blow fuses.
It's probably unrelated, but if it's blowing fuses, it should be easy for the tech to find.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 11:49 am    

Pull the chassis (If yours is like mine, it's in two pieces, with power supply and power amp on the large lower board) and inspection to the power supply section for burnt, chewed and shorted wires. I had a mouse take my 400 offline by chewing the insulation off the hot supply line.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 1:01 pm    

I think I had my long chord coming out of the instrument in jack, plugging it into the #1 input on amp . the pedal was powered up. If im remembering ,as soon as the chord tip touched the amp input ...it went out. The fuse I tried isnt a slow blo I dont think. Its AGC 7.5 W .looking at fuses on ebay what was in it was a 8 amp ceramic fuse.which Ive ordered some. So I cant see the filament to see its really blown.if that doest do it..Ill look for a tech.thanks for your help Lane

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 1:33 pm    

If touching the ground to the amp killed it, I'm betting that something is fried in the power supply, and bits of the amp are hot that shouldn't be.
You may want to check that the amp didn't fry your Hilton pedal.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 2:37 pm    

Pedal is fine.we have a peavey service center in town. If the fuses dont do it ill have to lug it down. Thanks again

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 2:50 pm    

It blew two fuses (if you have a multimeter, you could verify, but that's almost certain.
I'd go straight to the tech.
To answer the question in the first post, there is only one condition under which 8 vs. 7.5 fuse would make a difference: when you are working the amp HARD, into a 2 Ohm load, when it's running fall-out.
If you're just playing in your bedroom or basement, you'll probably never blow a 4 Amp fuse (fuses are speced at just bit above maximum expected draw, plus a Ritchie for safety).

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 4:45 am    

The pedal mishap must have just been a coincidence.keep blowin fuses...off to the shop.