The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  L.A. Drummer Steve Hunter
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 7:16 pm    

Sad to report my brother in arms Steve Hunter has shed his mortal coil and headed out to northern climes. Steve was a drummer from Houston who spent many years in L.A. before heading back to Texas a few years ago where he expired at the young age of 68 a couple days ago. I played a 4 night a week gig with him for several years in the 90s in the Don McGinnis western swing band and used him plenty in my Los Angeles studio for all kinds of music from gospel,gulf coast blues to hard funk to straight ahead jazz and traditional bar room country. Steve was a singing drummer with a nice blend of Ray Price and Ray Charles,was a great high harmony singer,had a mean ass Texas shuffle and for some unknown reason prolly knew more jazz music theory than most guitar and steel pickers - which we would discuss on long drives back from gigs. Whipped up a mean gumbo as well and could expound on many interesting subjects for long periods of time. The world just got a little less interesting and funky. Here's Steve and his blushing bride of 37 years Dee Dee Hunter in a recent photo in Houston. Catch up with you later Hunter.....

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 3:36 am    

Sorry for your loss Michael...

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 11:19 am    

Steve was a great friend to so many of us here. A fine drummer ("You don't have to be from Texas to play a shuffle, but it helps") and singer and the founder of the "Shuffle Brothers" blues jam that continues to this day. A wonderful friend who quietly did a lot for others less fortunate than himself. About the only time I recall him being really riled up was when someone sitting in at the jam took it upon themselves to re-tune his snare. His death was unexpected and shocking. He will be missed.

I'm told there's to be a memorial/celebration of life at the Maui Sugar Mill July 11. I expect a full house.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 12:58 pm    

Michael, I'm sorry for your loss.