The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Day Copedant?
Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 6:23 am    

Never intended for this to be controversial. I know Bud Carter (RIP) stated in his online FAQ that the Day setup was more prone to cabinet drop. Makes sense, but some guitars are more prone to cabinet drop than others as well.

I'm thinking it's more about how one's ankles move... I've played an Emmons set up for years, but it's never too late to change...

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 10:09 am    

Cabinet drop would have a lot to do with how much foot pressure is exerted when the pedal hits the stop. No two guitars require the exact same pressure to activate changes, and no two players will exert the exact same foot pressure. Physics would say that the Day setup would increase cabinet drop, because the loading is farther from the supports, but with all of the other factors I would say it would be immeasurable. Like everything else on a pedal steel, the player has to compensate by ear to play in tune unless you are playing open strings.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 1:19 pm    

I think that cabinet drop is caused more by increased string tension than by the downward pressure of pedals on the cabinet. But in either case, the difference between ABC and CBA would be small.

Ga McDonnell

N GA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 7:59 am    

If CBA has more cabinet drop than ABC it boggles the mind to imagine the fearful possibilities that exist with the pedals operating C6. TheyĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re stuck right in the middle of the guitar. Some of these pedals have three pulls and heavier strings to deal with.

I just hope nobody ever thoughtlessly pushes down pedal 5 and 8 at the same time. If you end up with a guitar that's permanently shaped like a hammock there's nobody to blame but yourself.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 8:24 am    

b0b wrote:
I think that cabinet drop is caused more by increased string tension than by the downward pressure of pedals on the cabinet.

It's easy to test the effect of those two drop sources independently.
To test the effect of string tension, instead of using the pedals, use the tuners at the left end of the guitar to raise the pitch of B strings and G# strings.
To test the effect of pedal rods pulling down on the cabinet, loosen the tuning nuts and mash the pedals.
In my experience the two are about the same.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 9:29 am    

My first guitar was a ShoBud Maverick, 3/0 ABC. I quickly realized I needed at least one KL to get some of the basic sounds I was hearing in recordings, so I added a RK (R?) In any case, I played that guitar for three or four months before realizing its stark limitations and bought a BMI 3/4 with a basic Emmons setup.

Fast forward a couple months. I picked up the Winston/Keith book. (A MUST HAVE book.) At the end there are copedants of several of the top pros at the time and I noticed that most of my favorite players (Buddy notably excepted) played some variation of Day setup. Since the BMI was very easy to change copedants, I quickly converted to Day with E lower LKL and E raise LKR. (Don't remember how I had the RKs -- I can deal with them pretty much any way they're set up.) Long story short, the new setup felt and sounded good right out of the gate and I've never looked back.

I can get used to an Emmons setup guitar after about a half-hour of playing, but it never feels as smooth and intuitive to me as the Day setup with the E changes on the left.

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 9:32 am     Day Copedant... Levers?

Sorry if I seem to be beating a dead horse here!

I think I'm going to try the CBA pedal set up on one of my guitars. But I will need to change some of my levers.

I'm thinking the Raise E's should go on LKR.

The question is where to put the Lower E's, on the RKL, where they are now, or move them to LKL, ala John Hughey.

For the current Day players here, how do you set up your knee levers?

Thanks again for your insight and patience!

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 10:29 am     Re: Day Copedant... Levers?

Jay Friedrich wrote:
Sorry if I seem to be beating a dead horse here!

I think I'm going to try the CBA pedal set up on one of my guitars. But I will need to change some of my levers.

I'm thinking the Raise E's should go on LKR.

The question is where to put the Lower E's, on the RKL, where they are now, or move them to LKL, ala John Hughey.

For the current Day players here, how do you set up your knee levers?

Thanks again for your insight and patience!

I play Day and have my both my E raise and lower on the left knee - left lower, right raise. This works for me because I get easily confused but it is very intuitive for me to remember that I move my left knee in the same direction as I would move the bar to raise and lower my Es.

I also find it easier to have the changes for the lower 8 strings on my left leg/foot and the right knee mainly for changes relating to strings 1&2.

The move to raise my E's along with coming off of the B pedal and to lower them while coming off the A pedal from the AB pedals down position also feels very natural to me.

Of course there are many players (Emmons and Day) the have their E raises and lowers on different knees and it works fine for them so there's no right or wrong way.

But I would say that if you are having either or both of your E changes on the left knee, they need to be R-raise and L-lower on Day (and the opposite for Emmons).

Unless you are Lloyd Green of course Smile

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 10:55 am     Re: Day Copedant... Levers?

Jeff Mead wrote:
I play Day and have my both my E raise and lower on the left knee - left lower, right raise.

Thank you for your input. That's how John Hughey did it too. I'm leaning in that direction, but I've had my E's on separate legs for so long, it will take some adjusting.

The reason I want to try a Day set up for a while is the way my ankle moves. I backed off the change for the C pedal to make it the same as my A pedal, and it felt much more natural that way... It's as if I had been doing it wrong all these years with the ABC set up.

Still looking for suggestions for the lever set up, thanks again!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 11:37 am     Re: Day Copedant... Levers?

Jay Friedrich wrote:
Still looking for suggestions for the lever set up

Ok Jay - here's what to do with those levers.

Raise your Es on LKR. Put the lowers on RKL or RKR, whichever you prefer. (I use RKR on the U12 and RKL on the D10.) There - job done - b0b can close this up now.... Smile

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 1:26 pm     Re: Day Copedant... Levers?

Ian Rae wrote:

Ok Jay - here's what to do with those levers.

Raise your Es on LKR. Put the lowers on RKL or RKR, whichever you prefer. (I use RKR on the U12 and RKL on the D10.) There - job done - b0b can close this up now.... Smile

LOL!

I currently use RKL on my E9.

What is the reasoning behind the RKR on the U12?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 2:46 pm     Re: Day Copedant... Levers?

Jay Friedrich wrote:
I currently use RKL on my E9.

Then stick with it. I use RKR on the uni because it's out of the way and allows my left leg to move over to the B6 pedals.

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 2:05 pm    

Taking everyone's suggestions into account, I'm going to try the Lower E's on the RKL, and the Raise E's on the LKR. Basically the same as Johan Jensen's copedant, but with the CBA Day pedal order, and the two RK Levers reversed:

https://b0b.com/tunings/jj.html

I think the CBA pedal order will be much easier on my ankle, and with the only real difference being the LEFT Leg levers moving in the opposite direction, it shouldn't be too hard to adjust.

Thank you all for your guidance and patience! Cool

Last edited by Jay Friedrich on 8 Jul 2017 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 4:07 pm    

If it's easy enough to do, I'd try different approaches. There are plenty of great players that have done it many different ways. But for my money, I can't think of a good reason to not have your E changes on the LK on a CBA setup, unless you're regularly using pedals D,E,F... in the same song, in which case the LKR gets in the way. Otherwise, there are so many thousands of licks that lend themselves so easily and naturally to the B/C pedal rock with the LKL lower/LKR raise combo its hard to see a downside.

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 9:18 pm    

Drew Pierce wrote:
...I can't think of a good reason to not have your E changes on the LK on a CBA setup, unless you're regularly using pedals D,E,F... in the same song, in which case the LKR gets in the way. Otherwise, there are so many thousands of licks that lend themselves so easily and naturally to the B/C pedal rock with the LKL lower/LKR raise combo its hard to see a downside.

Thank you for posting! That's my second choice.

I like the sound of having the A pedal pushed down alone and then lowering the E's. Having the lower E's on the right leg makes that change a little more comfortable for me.

I still may end up with both the Raise and Lower E's on the left leg ala John Hughey.

I'm not 100% sure where my final destination is going to be, but for the first time since I started dabbling with steel, I truly feel like I'm headed in the right direction.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 8:38 am    

Pressing Pedal A while lowering the E makes a cool sound, but depending on one's style and musical choices, the A pedal and F lever will be a much more frequently used combination as it makes a third major chord position option to go along with open and AB together.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 9:39 am     Day Setup

What Jeff Mead said... I like Tommy White's setup. Don't know how long Tommy had his guitar setup like that, I've had that copedent since 1978. Reese put that on my LDG, he made for me.

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 7:14 pm    

Drew Pierce wrote:
Pressing Pedal A while lowering the E makes a cool sound, but depending on one's style and musical choices, the A pedal and F lever will be a much more frequently used combination as it makes a third major chord position option to go along with open and AB together.

I agree, the A and F together are very important. I will definitely keep the F in the same place as John Hughey's copedant.

The main difference is that I'm putting the D lever (lower the Es) on the RKL.

As others have said, there are benefits to having the E's on different knees, and I'm sure there are trade offs too, as I will soon find out.

I may end up moving it to LKL, ala John Hughey, but for now I'm going to split the E's between the knees.

One thing about both the John Hughey levers and the "reversed JJ left leg" is that the logic of movement for the E's is the same for both .

I.e., A movement from left to right raises the Es, and a movement from right to left lowers them.

Thanks again for helping me think this through. I'm sure my solution won't be for everyone, but at this stage, it's still more of a process than a destination.

FWIW, I just got out of the hospital today, and it will still be a few days before I'm able to play any PSG... So if I'm over-thinkin' and under-doin', at least I've got an excuse!

Seriously, thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 12:04 am    

Jay Friedrich wrote:

I like the sound of having the A pedal pushed down alone and then lowering the E's.

What string combinations do you use for this lick and are there any examples you could post of it being used?

Thanks.

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 4:08 am    

Jeff Mead wrote:
Jay Friedrich wrote:

I like the sound of having the A pedal pushed down alone and then lowering the E's.

What string combinations do you use for this lick and are there any examples you could post of it being used?

Thanks.

Hard to say. I like the minor 9 chord, with the 2nd string ringing and the 4th string playing the minor 3rd of the chord, and then moving down to match the 2nd string in unison.

The dissonances created are not typical of traditional swing and country steel sounds, but for "cryin in your beer" sweet sad sounds, the juicy notes in between the minor 3rd and to the 9th are very distinctive.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 10:55 am    

Jeff, played the Day pedal, but he had his E's on his right knee. He lowered his E's RKR, raised them on RKL. Watch his lessons, and he does explain this in several videos. He also says, that it doesn't matter, one is no better then the others, it's just that you know where they are on your guitar. I do like the raise on separate knees. As mentioned it give a smooth transition between the raise and lower. I use this a lot, and it works nice for me. There is no middle area. Your going into one and out of the other, very smoothly. Just my two cents.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 12:09 pm    

Very intresting read on these posts....now you guys have me thinking of trying the Day shift (not a pun) to see if I can do better with my pedal play.....

At present it is a hit or miss and have thought about changing after watching Tony Brown, but often wondered if I had to change the knee levers also....

You are all so helpful wuth your comments and suggestions....

Thanks for sparking my interest to try something different.

Sam

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 3:45 pm    

Samuel Phillippe wrote:
Very intresting read on these posts....now you guys have me thinking of trying the Day shift (not a pun) to see if I can do better with my pedal play.....

At present it is a hit or miss and have thought about changing after watching Tony Brown, but often wondered if I had to change the knee levers also....

You are all so helpful wuth your comments and suggestions....

Thanks for sparking my interest to try something different.

Sam

If you have The E raises and lowers on your left knee, you will likely have to change them. On a Day setup, E raises would be on LKR, and the lowers on LKL.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 4:29 pm    

Thanks Richard, or do I call you Rusty Strings, that eliminates my next question.

Am gonna try it when I get a minute to change things around.... Yup minute, that's a joke

Sam

PS like your knick name.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 7:10 pm    

I play Day because if feels more natural to my foot. Other players that play/played Day.
John Hughey
Hal Rugg
Weldon Myrick
Curly Chalker
Sonny Burnette
Stu Basore
Ron Elliot
Joan Cox
Jeff Newman
Tommy White