Reply to topic
Author Topic:  paul redmond's original leslie inspired cabinet build
ebb

nj
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 6:53 pm    

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 8:22 am    

Paul did a great job on that. He's the best.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 12:59 pm    

I have several foam rotors from inside hammond organs. They look like the same ones that Fender used, For sale cheap!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 6:21 am    

love it!

Last edited by Ross Shafer on 23 May 2017 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 4:38 am    

Nice concept and build. bravo! Anyone ever tried the Motion Sound Leslie cab sims?

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 5:52 pm    

Never seen anything like that before. Paul definitely knows how to build and to make changes on existing steels. I was fortunate to have him make maker changes to,three of my pedal steels. I envy guys like him and Ross Shafer who are able perform magic in building and modifying steels, steels Stevet

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 5:55 pm    

Never seen anything like that before. Paul definitely knows how to build and to make changes on existing steels. I was fortunate to have him make maker changes to,three of my pedal steels. I envy guys like him and Ross Shafer who are able perform magic in building and modifying steels, Stevet

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 8:08 am    

Len,
You mean like this:

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 8:17 am     Leslie 16

I use a Leslie 16. No top rotor. How does this compare? Maybe Paul could jump in here.

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 3:12 pm     Leslie 16

I use a Leslie 16. No top rotor. How does this compare? Maybe Paul could jump in here.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 5:38 am    

The 16 or Vibratone released by Fender with a 10 inch and a single foam rotor only, in my opinion lends itself to guitar type tones better than a leslie with a horn. The horn is usually crossed over at 800hz and then the tone gets spikey from there on up. Fine for organ and maybe Wurlitzer electric piano.

Wonder what this thing sounds like? It looks like the direct firing speakers would clobber the leslie effect of the spinning rotors.

For steel it would depend on how the balance of the speakers are and what frequency of the xover, if there is one.

Since steel tones are long and sustained might come off as an organ's tone and fare better than a regular guitar.

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 12:08 pm     Leslie 16

This is a photo of the rig I like best with the Leslie 16. I put an 8ohm Weber 10" vintage speaker they recommended to replace the 12" black widow that was in there. TheKustom amp has an 8ohm 12" speaker and switches on the back for 4, 8 and 16 ohms. I use the original crossover cable system and when I flip the Leslie on I get a balanced sound out of both speakers. The tremolo is fabulous!

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 4:17 pm     Re: Leslie 16

tom anderson wrote:
I use the original crossover cable system and when I flip the Leslie on I get a balanced sound out of both speakers.

The original crossover that came with these model Leslies is key to the overall sound. The crossover system takes frequencies out of both the Leslie and the amp used to balance the sound. The crossover systems on these are usually missing when you find the speaker for sale.

The Weber 10 is a good replacement for the original most likely Utah that were in these from the factory. Where Leslies are concerned the speaker makes or breaks the success of the rotor effect. Depending on the resonant frequencies of the speaker facing the foam rotor, will dictate that the right frequencies for this effect are accentuated and how the end sound exists the rotor and the cabinet's louvers.

The fact that the rotor is on its side in this model, adds to the desired Leslie effect for guitar, throwing the sound to the sides, up and around vs the other Leslie models that have the rotors laying down throwing sound behind the cabinet which gets lost, nullifying the effect for guitar.

The original type crossover cable system.