The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beatles Sgt. Pepper - Tonight, Sat. 6/3 PBS
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 6:24 am    

Tonight's program looks pretty good. I hope they focus on the recording process, the songwriting, etc. 8:00 pm / 7:00 C on PBS. It will probably be posted on the PBS web site for a couple of weeks after airing.

---click it---> http://www.pbs.org/video/3001103801/

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 6:33 am    

Thanks for the heads up. Orbison's Black & White Night is on que next. Evening planned 😎

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 8:40 am    

thanks for the reminder

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 3:15 am    

Thanks for the heads up, Doug - really interesting show. I always enjoyed the album but had no idea of most of the backstory. It just confirms the thought that the Beatles and George Martin and his sound engineers were way ahead of their time and in many cases were musical and recording geniuses.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 5:57 am    

I liked all the inside info on the recording techniques too. Like when the engineer slowed down one of the tape recorders by lowered the AC power going to it so the audio would synch to the other tape recorder. That was a new one on me. I had heard about the engineer cutting a tape into 1" sections, throwing them up in the air, and then randomly splicing them back together again, but it was fun to hear about it again. Back in the late 70's I had a 4-track reel to reel and I did a lot of experimenting with tape speed, slicing, and bouncing tracks. Nowadays, in the digital era, those techniques are a lost art.

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2017 7:05 pm    

Great show, but I missed some of it. The complexity of the Indian rhythms they described on George's Within you without you was amazing.....

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 5:22 am    

I didn't love everything about the way it was organized and presented but the info was fabulous.

George Martin was an amazingly talented man, open to experimentation and the musical innovations the Beatles came up with organically, and intuitively, are still astounding and have stood the test off time.

The comments about the aeolian mode were very illuminating. Post WWII English children were brought up in an interesting hothouse of culture where church choir singing, English folk melodies, and Victorian imagery eventually met American rock and roll and blues. This particular melange happened in many '60s English bands but the artistry and excellence of the Beatles was never equalled. Ringo was a great rock drummer but given the talents of the other three, he's one of the luckiest SOBs on the planet.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 6:29 am    

Quote:
...he's one of the luckiest SOBs on the planet.

Laughing True, and the richest drummer in the world... $300 Million.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 3:51 am    

I agree about Ringo, and you could say the same about Martin. His talents would have worked anywhere,
but there was this skiffle group....

The program was replayed last night and I caught it. It was great.