The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  If/When/Why Rebuild An All Pull Guitar?
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 7:05 am    

Push-pulls are rebuilt regularly when enough parts are worn out and, if done correctly, it not only makes for a more playable guitar but can sometimes add to the value. Old Sho-Buds get updated parts many times.

What about other modern guitars though? At what point would you completely tear one down and do a rebuild rather than simply getting maintenance and possibly updating a part or two as needed?

(BTW - Right after posting this, I saw Mike's thread on rebuilding Damir's Excel. I'm pretty sure we all know why THAT was a complete rebuild. Smile I'm thinking about if/when/why you'd do it in way less drastic cases.)

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 7:27 am    

A car that's beginning to feel past its best but isn't old enough to be a worthy subject for restoration gets traded for a newer one.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 8:45 am    

Perhaps if later design improvements could be retrofit in early guitars?

h

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 1:53 pm    

1) if lubed with oil instead of Teflon, oil will gunge up and attract dust, cleaning will be required
2) pivot rivets will wallow out and need gentle re-peening
3) nylon bushings will wallow out, resulting in slop.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 2:40 am     Re: If/When/Why Rebuild An All Pull Guitar?

Chris Bauer wrote:
Push-pulls are rebuilt regularly when enough parts are worn out and, if done correctly, it not only makes for a more playable guitar but can sometimes add to the value. Old Sho-Buds get updated parts many times.

What about other modern guitars though? At what point would you completely tear one down and do a rebuild rather than simply getting maintenance and possibly updating a part or two as needed?

(BTW - Right after posting this, I saw Mike's thread on rebuilding Damir's Excel. I'm pretty sure we all know why THAT was a complete rebuild. Smile I'm thinking about if/when/why you'd do it in way less drastic cases.)

I think sometimes a guitar has enough little things that become a nuisance that you just want it to be new again. The problem begins when you have to pay someone for their hours, same on old worn out amplifiers. In some case it's more about the personal value than the market value I think. A guitar you have faithfully played for 25 years is hard to let go of so you restore. Good time to do a color change too which makes almost like getting a new guitar. Its all so complicated LOL

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 2:42 am     Re: If/When/Why Rebuild An All Pull Guitar?

Chris Bauer wrote:

BTW Chris, if you have a guitar in need of work I know a guy you have been friends with for 35+ years that can help! Just sayin

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 4:28 am    

When it was (was as I redid it) like the E9th changer in my 36 year old D-10 Franklin. Black "crap" kept oozing out the top of the changer fingers and it was time, for me. For those that are not concerned about things such as the oozing out and it all still works then let it be.

I had considered sending it to Mike Cass for a complete overhaul but wouldn't ship the guitar. Only way would be for me to drive to Nashville and deliver it (and pick it up when done). So, I dove into the E9th changer. Cleaned the changer and polished the neck before reinstalling. May make a trip to Kansas City this summer and if I do, I'll reconsider dropping it off for Mike to go completely over.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 4:54 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
When it was (was as I redid it) like the E9th changer in my 36 year old D-10 Franklin. Black "crap" kept oozing out the top of the changer fingers and it was time, for me. For those that are not concerned about things such as the oozing out and it all still works then let it be.

I had considered sending it to Mike Cass for a complete overhaul but wouldn't ship the guitar. Only way would be for me to drive to Nashville and deliver it (and pick it up when done). So, I dove into the E9th changer. Cleaned the changer and polished the neck before reinstalling. May make a trip to Kansas City this summer and if I do, I'll reconsider dropping it off for Mike to go completely over.

Jack,

If you need work done on your Franklin you might consider Paul Sr, Mickey Adams, Lynn Stafford, and/or Billy Knowles. I'm sure you know these names in case your first choice doesn't work out...

Cheers
Mike

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 6:21 am    

Paul Sr can't do any work. He has some medical issues.

I've talked to Mike Cass before and he has previous experience on Franklin's.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 6:56 am    

Some people just plain don't take care of a guitar or the way I would anyway. I don't even like finger prints on mine.
I bought an EMCI once off the forum and basically the guitar was in good shape except for the fact that it dripped oil on the floor and had dog and cat hair all under the guitar mixed in with the oil and grime. I guess you could call it a rebuild what I did. Took whole guitar apart, cleaned and put back together. I polished all aluminum parts like end plates and such and it made a beautiful guitar.
Most of the rebuilds I've done on guitars are for the very reason, they were just plain filthy and not taken care of. I think very few guitars actually wear out enough in around 10 years to be rebuilt.

Another reason for a rebuild is that some just can't keep their fingers out from under guitar. I've seen them so messed up that guitar had to be rebuilt. Of course, that doesn't include refinishing cabinet and stuff like that. Just a tear down and re-assemble correct. I guess you could call that a rebuild.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 12:17 pm    

I don't think I've ever seen a guitar that required complete rebuilding.... until I got my Excel Oh Well

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 12:27 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a guitar that required complete rebuilding.... until I got my Excel Oh Well

My Green P/P is a close second Smile

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 1:26 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:

That one for sure needed it, LOL. Most just need a good clean up.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.