The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Copedant Android App?
Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 11:12 pm    

Does such an app exist?

I find it helps me to visualize different tunings and copedants if I physically map out the notes on paper.

An app that could do the same thing would be a big time saver.

For just showing note names up the neck, it could probably be done inside an Excel file. Java Script would make it even prettier.

An app that would also add sound would be the next step, but that level of functionality is beyond me.

Does something like this already exist?

If not, I think I have a project...

Dan Kimpel

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 12:55 am    

I've seen a pc app, and I know Joe Wright has an excel file, but I haven't seen an android app. I'd be interested in it if you made it. If it included a tuner with JI settings for different copedents I'd even pay for it! I think that might be beyond the scope of this app though. The PC app will show you scales and chords up the neck too. I'll find a link tomorrow on my PC and share here.

Dan Kimpel

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 1:09 am    

http://www.richardsinkler.net/_GuitarMap/guitar_map_downloads.html

Oliver Samland

Hamburg, Germany
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 1:57 am    

Jay,
I saw this thread the other day, it might be what you are looking for: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=316985
I haven't checked the app out, though.

Ollie

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 6:49 am    

I'm checking it out now. Looks like it may be awesome. I'll post a review shortly.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 30 May 2017 8:14 am     App review

I've had a chance to play with this app a little. It's pretty cool. I entered in all the info for my E9 neck. After you enter all your changes, it has a selection to display your copedent graphically. I like that.

It has an "Analysis" menu selection that allows you to select any pedals you want to use, key, and fret number, and it will graphically display the note numbers at that fret for the 1, 2m, 3m, 4, 5, 6m, and 7dim chords. Can also be used for finding scales. The chart is colored to reflect the triad notes, the diatonic notes, and non-diatonic notes. Pretty cool.

There is a chord finder menu selection that lets you select the key, root note, type of chord, what pedals/levers to exclude, and what strings to exclude. It then displays a list of (many) places to find your chord. It shows pedal/lever combinations, fret number, and what strings have the notes of the chords. I wish it would show this info graphically, but there is a ton of info here.

Comparison between this app and the Guitar Map program (written by Karlis Abolins - not me) available on my website:

1. Guitar Map is a PC program (no Apple version). This is a mobile app. Guitar Map can't be installed on a phone of tablet to my knowledge.

2. Guitar map has the chord listings shown on a fretboard display that shows the frets the chord is available. You can also turn on and off which pedals you wish, and it will reflect those changes on the fretboard display. You can switch to different chords right from that screen, where with the app, you have to use your back arrow to go back one page to enter new chord info. Guitar map also displays scales that you select (many types of scales). Guitar map features a lot more chord types and scale types. You can also edit a file to add new chord types (probably not needed) or scale types (also probably not needed, but I did get a message from someone saying the program didn't have a type of blues scale, so I edited the files to add that type of scale. The diminished 7 chord was incorrect, so I fixed that. Both of these changes are in the file for the program. I don't see where there is this capability on the app (but, probably not needed anyhow). Also, in the chord/scale fretboard display, you can switch between note name display and scale tone number.

Conclusions:

Is the app worth $5.00. Absolutely. I will definitely carry it on my phone. But, I will continue to use Guitar map if I am at my computer. Since guitar map doesn't work on mobile devices, this app is the choice there.

Cons:

The biggest con for me is that you have to use the back arrow to get back to screens you wish to get to. An example is when you are setting up your copedent, after you enter the changes, you have to use the back arrow on your phone to get to the menu to add another pedal/change. And to get back to the main menu can require several clicks. I would like to see a "back" button that when to click it, it will take you back to the menu you are working from. Also a "Main Menu" button to get back to the main menu. Maybe this can happen in an update.

I can highly recommend both of these tools if you need to find chords and scales.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 30 May 2017 8:19 am    

Dan Kimpel wrote:

Sorry for the coloring on my site. I was making changes and trying them out, but I can't seem to get Dreamweaver (or other HTML editor) to communicate with my web host. Username/password issues. Need to contact them and fix that.

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 1:29 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

Sorry for the coloring on my site. I was making changes and trying them out, but I can't seem to get Dreamweaver (or other HTML editor) to communicate with my web host. Username/password issues. Need to contact them and fix that.

Thank you! I use a Windows machine at work and Linux at home... Another good reason NOT to do any work! LOL

If you can make a Linux or Android version, I'd pay for it... I bet a lot of us would!

Oliver Samland wrote:
Jay,
I saw this thread the other day, it might be what you are looking for: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=316985
I haven't checked the app out, though.

Ollie

Danke sehr! That's exactly what I was looking for! I'm sad because someone else beat me to it, but I'm also happy because spending $5 will be much easier than the many hours it would have taken me to make one!

(no, I don't speak German... but my Grandparents did!)

Thanks again!

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 3:47 pm    

I have a free tool available for Windows machines. Please see the link in my forum signature for more information, or feel free to send a PM.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 30 May 2017 7:31 pm    

Quote:

Thank you! I use a Windows machine at work and Linux at home... Another good reason NOT to do any work! LOL

If you can make a Linux or Android version, I'd pay for it... I bet a lot of us would!

I didn't write the Guitar Map Program. That was done by forumite, Karlis Abolins. He has no plans to do a Mac, Linux or mobile version. He wrote this several yeras ago.

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 12:01 am    

Just want to say THANK YOU again for pointing me in the direction of this app! So far it's the only "real" one I could find on the Google store.

Next step is to have one that actually plays the chords you're creating, so you can experiment with different tunings while fidgeting on the phone! Wink

Thanks again!

Michael Hill wrote:
I've just published a copedent / fretboard analysis tool in the Google Play app store. You can add and edit as many copedents as you want. A great way to see what you've got going on or to try out 'what if' scenarios when you're thinking about changing some changers.

The price is $4.99. You can find more details here.

Oliver Samland

Hamburg, Germany
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 2:50 am    

I'm glad I could help you, Jay! Smile