The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginer's Question - String changing?
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 12:38 pm    

As a newbie I am wondering how often do you chage strings on PSG? And when you do the string change, is there any special procedure/sequence to follow?

Thanks!

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 2:39 pm    

Hey Tony, there's probably a thousand opinions and several conversations on this very thing? I change strings on my steel about every 3-4 months, or when I sense they are going dead &/or pitchy...I'm just a hobby player. My advice, don't wait to long but use your best judgment!

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 2:46 pm    

If you're just learning then I would play them as long as possible. So just change them when they break,not stay in tune or you hear that ringing effect they get.

At this point there's no sense spending money while you're just playing at home.

I change mine every two maybe three weeks but I gig all the time so they need to be changed more frequently.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 3:54 am    

I agree with Dick's post.

If you're not gigging regularly or are starting out there's no great, overriding reason to change strings. Yes, older strings can have a loss of tone and eventually develop tuning problems but it's not reason enough, to me, to change them, say, every 1-2 months or more.

I gig pretty regularly and still balk at changing strings. When I do, I always change a set at least a day before a gig. That allows them to stretch out. Otherwise, if I change 'em the day of, I'm always tweaking them on the gig. I hate having to do that.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 5:42 am    

Thanks all! Since I don't know how old the existing strings are on my 6139 I will change them and establish a known in-use date.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 10:17 am    

I change every 2 weeks or so. My perspiration tends to eat strings - but they also simply start to go dead in that time.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 11:20 am    

in my experience so far, your sho bud is not going to sound its best with an off the rack string gauge. sho-bud's have a shorter scale, so they can handle (and for me, sound better with) heavier strings. if you like, do a search for ricky davis' string gauges. i changed over to them a few months ago and the results are fantastic.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 12:49 pm    

I started with new strings. At some point one of them (probably the 4th) started to "play dead", sounding flat and sharp at the same time when I was tuning. So I changed them all and have done the same ever since whenever one gets tired. It's usually 3, 4 or 5.

Frank Markow

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 1:13 pm    

A pro player told me recently he changes them after about 3 hours of use, as he feels they start to develop tuning issues pretty quickly. Personally, I change mine when I notice I am having a harder time getting in tune than usual... plus I feel a fresh set just sounds nicer ; )

Ford Cole

Texas
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 1:28 pm    

The Mullen Steel Guitar pages used to have a good description the changing procedure.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 2:02 pm    

http://steelguitar.com/

Here's an informative site that will answer a lot of your steel guitar questions. Strings are discussed in the maintenance section.

The Mullen suggestion is a good one also.

Personally, I change strings when that start sounding bad and/or won't stay in tune. On the average of about every 6 months. If I'm playing a lot, more often. If I break a 3 or a 5, which are usually the most often to fail, I just change those.

If one breaks during a gig, I can usually have it changed by the time the next song comes around. I think the guitar player likes it when I have to lay out and put on a new string. Probably wishes I would break 2 or 3 at a time.

When I used to get calls to play steel shows, I would change the sets if they had been on there for 2 or 3 months. Wouldn't want one breaking in the middle of an instrumental...or sometimes just touch up 3,4 and 5 plain strings for insurance.

Professional players can't afford to take any chances with their sound or failed strings so naturally they are going to change them more frequently. Some of them probably have string endorsements too, so the cost may not be a factor like it is with those of us who have to buy them.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 5:42 pm    

I agree 100% with what Jerry wrote. For me it is about 6 months a set. During that time, one will break, sound clunky, or hard to tune. Then just change that one. I don't play any major shows, or concerts, and for a club date, or a jam, I have never had someone say to me, my strings are dead. Don't worry about your strings, put a set on and PLAY.