The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Got my first pedal steel and learned my first couple licks
Stone Preston

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 5:00 pm    

I picked up my stage one on Thursday and Ive been goin at it for 3 days or so. Decided to try and learn this song called Whole Damn Town by Turnpike Troubadours. My pick blocking isn't too great yet, but it doesnt sound half bad.

Here is a video of me playing the licks. Critiques welcome (and wanted).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXDRzZEvCY

I thankfully found a tab for the first lick here
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=281518

The second lick I had to figure out by ear. The last part of the second lick might not be quite correct but its pretty close. If I have time tomorrow Ill tab it out and post it as a reply to the first tab. Do you guys use any special software to make tabs?

Dan Kimpel

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 5:08 pm    

Sounds great for just getting a steel! My suggestion would be to learn to use your foot over both a and b pedals and use the side of your footto press each one so you don't have to shift your whole position. For the luck you did its not necessary but still a good thing to practice and get a handle on.

Matthew Begay

Quantico, VA, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 6:42 pm     Sounds Freaking Great Man!

I started out on a BMI a year ago at age 18 and man, us young dudes picking up the steel guitar is a good thing. I'm no where near good, but I've been able to score many gigs here and there through persistence with the instrument. I've had the pleasure of meeting many people through this instrument such as Marty Broussard who plays with Tracy Byrd, Mickey Adams who is an awesome teacher and knows a TON about the instrument and I hope to make it my partial career aside from being a pharmacy technician. This is a fantastic venture into the music world and I hope you stay on it brotha. If I have any recommendations for beginning, I started out with these songs.

-Time Marches On by Tracy Lawrence (you'll learn to use swells and it's a simple song)
-Chech Yes Or No by George Strait (there's a redeeming feeling when you figure out the first lick going up the fret board)
-You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone by Brooks & Dunn
-That Summer by Garth Brooks
-Pure Love (if you're feeling confident) by Ronnie Milsap

Stone Preston

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 9:18 am    

Thanks for the tips guys! I appreciate it

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 5:58 pm    

Hi Stone. You should be aware that the third note you play (The one with the C pedal) is also found on the first string with no pedals. I know the tab says otherwise but you should learn that there are many ways to find notes and I would suggest you at least try it both ways and decide which you like. Personally I think most steelers would use the first string. It is a very common pattern.

I echo Dan's suggestion about the left foot. Most important. Learn good techniques early.

Have a good journey learning steel. I think you have done very very well for just a few days.