The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NGD! My Blonde Sho-Bud Arrives!
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 6:19 pm    

I'm officially back in the PSG Club, Sho-Bud Chapter! The UPS man dropped off my Sho-Bud today and after 42 years I now have another blonde Sho-Bud (I sold my Sho-Bud Maverick in 1975 while in college).

I posted a "Sho-Bud Maverick Wanted" ad in the classifies and I got a number of responses. Quite a few blonde Mavericks are out there for not a whole lot of money.

Alex Johnson responded that he had a blonde 6139 S10 for sale. After looking at some photos I ran it by my wife who said yes, you can buy it Smile Smile Smile. The price was very good and not that much more than a Maverick so I pulled the trigger and I now own a 1972ish Sho-Bud 6139 3+1, #2165.

I was so excited setting it up that I did not pull down the knee lever. Yes, I am a newbie!

I plugged it in and it makes noise! In time I hope it makes music Smile .

The vol & tone pots work perfectly. The pickup coil tap switch works. The pickup measures 21.0k full on and with the tap on it measures 12.1k.

It does need some cleaning (Alex told me that) and at some point I will add 3 more knee levers.

Alex was great to deal with and he shipped the guitar out super fast. Thanks Alex!

It's Christmas in May Smile !

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 6:27 pm    

I like it!

Alex Johnson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 6:53 pm    

Looks great! I'm glad you are happy with it! These are actually some of the best sounding buds out there. I was looking forward to tricking it out but alas no time it seems. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to drop me a line if you need help with anything.
Take Care!

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 7:00 pm    

I like it too! It's a beautiful steel! I've heard that the Sho-Bud's of that era have a really great sound. 42 years. You're a very patient man. Smile

Mitch

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 7:06 pm    

Quote:
After looking at some photos I ran it by my wife who said yes, you can buy it

How do you pull that off? Laughing

Oh yeah, the guitar is nice... Winking

My first "real" steel was a Sho-Bud, looked like that blonde, 6 pedals & 1 knee. Sounded awesome! I know you will enjoy that guitar until the cows come home!

William Liemandt

New Mexico
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 9:01 pm    

Welcome back to the club mate. If your most accommodating wife is also blond she may be more understanding of your new blond mistress! Otherwise, watch out. (just kidding) This guitar is a real beaut! And doubtless a Sho-Bud tone monster too.

I notice in one of your photos that you have a definite crook in your "B" pedal sixth string pull rod. The rod is entering the third pedal rack at an oblique angle and will make your B pedal more difficult than necessary. They look like original aluminum pull rods so this is a very easy fix. Just straighten the rod and re-position the barrel. The third string rod is also bent, but should not be a big issue. It seems to enter the next rack fairly straight on.

The previous owner must have known their stuff, as they re-purposed the single knee lever to drop the "E's". Well done and to your advantage!

I surely do hope you love this guitar and fall right back into the PSG. If not, please let me know - I may want to buy this from you.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 4:12 am    

William Liemandt wrote:
Welcome back to the club mate. If your most accommodating wife is also blond she may be more understanding of your new blond mistress! Otherwise, watch out. (just kidding) This guitar is a real beaut! And doubtless a Sho-Bud tone monster too.

I notice in one of your photos that you have a definite crook in your "B" pedal sixth string pull rod. The rod is entering the third pedal rack at an oblique angle and will make your B pedal more difficult than necessary. They look like original aluminum pull rods so this is a very easy fix. Just straighten the rod and re-position the barrel. The third string rod is also bent, but should not be a big issue. It seems to enter the next rack fairly straight on.

The previous owner must have known their stuff, as they re-purposed the single knee lever to drop the "E's". Well done and to your advantage!

I surely do hope you love this guitar and fall right back into the PSG. If not, please let me know - I may want to buy this from you.

William,

Thanks! Of course my Sho-Bud is for sale. If you want her she's only $26,750. Free shipping Smile

I noticed the bent rods also. I plan on replacing all the rods with stainless steel rods from PSG Parts - Michael Yahl. I have bought a couple of tuning keys from Michael and we have spoken about knee levers. I am looking for 2 additional pedals and will need parts for those as well so my plan is to replace them all when I install the two extra pedals. I will get a few spare barrels and other misc parts when I place my order.

The dropped Es to D# on the knee lever had me confused for a while. I may have to move them back to "standard" as I progress through Winnie Winston's book.

PedalMaster D8

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 5:46 am    

Sweet-looking guitar, Tony - congrats!

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 7:22 am    

I've owned five ShoBuds over the years. Every one of them had the E lower on RKL lever. It is my impression that that is the stock setup coming from the factory. I just kept it there because it made a lot of sense to me. Love your new 'bud.

Blondes have more fun.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 7:25 am    

Here's a tip I got from the experts.

Never oil the threads in your barrels.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 8:16 am    

Congrats Tony!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 8:59 am     Like my first

Like my first 40 years ago except mine had 5 pedals and one knee.
That got me hooked for life.
Much better than a wife and won't ask you to take the trash out!
Got rid of my three prior wives so I bought two expensive steels in the past three months and no one to explain it too. Laughing

Even my lovely girl friend knows to say nothing or she may never become the forth Ms DePaule. Embarassed

Those knee levers are easy to add, and for my 2¢ worth, two more will get you by for a long time to come if money is tight.
Easy to install. Just line up the racks by putting a couple of very straight pull rods through and marking the place where the screw holes will go.
Best of luck in your new adventure.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 7:41 pm    

Looks great Tony, wish I lived across the street so I could try it out! I bought a pedal steel a few summers ago...great way to spend it

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 8:24 pm    

Tony, that's a nice Sho Bud! I have one just like it, purch. new in 1973. The round front S10 Buds are special. Amazing versatility with the coil tap and deck-mounted controls. Beautiful blonde.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 9:07 pm    

you was looking for a Maverick, but what you have is awesome rack and barrel S10...this is a pro guitar ... you can add more knee levers later on if you like ... awesome guitar ....

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 3:11 am    

Thanks all! I'm really excited to get back into PSGs and I am really enjoying this forum. The people here are great!

PedalMaster D8

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 8:31 am    

The wood in this is exceptional. Really beautiful.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 5:29 pm    

Congrats Tony. I see one thing that may be a prob. In picture 9 from the top, you have a bent pull rod that will need to be straightened out since on rack and barrel guits the whole rod turns when you adjust them. RP

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 1:31 am    

Ron Pruter wrote:
Congrats Tony. I see one thing that may be a prob. In picture 9 from the top, you have a bent pull rod that will need to be straightened out since on rack and barrel guits the whole rod turns when you adjust them. RP

Thanks Ron. The bent rods are on the list to be replaced. Most likely I will replace them all with stainless steel.

PedalMaster D8