The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Universal tuning question
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 4:22 pm    

I've been wanting to try a Uni for awhile now and I'm just getting around to looking at the basic/standard tuning and copedent.

I'm noticing that pedal 8 on a D-10 is over on pedal 4 on a lot of Universals, which seems confusing.

Is there some reason for this? I'm assuming I could switch the pedals around so they are more like conventional C6... who else has done this?

I'm just having trouble seeing the advantage of putting the "barroom" pedal in a totally different place. Am I missing something?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 6:05 pm    

Many players have moved pedal 8 to pedal 4 on their C6 neck. There might be a combination with pedal 3. I don't know as I don't play a universal. It,s also easier to play pedal 5 right after the boowah pedal if they are next to each other.

Harry Johansen

Kvalsund.Norway/Valencia Dumaguete,Phils.
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 9:27 pm    

I did move all the pedals on my Fulawka uni in the same order as on a C6 neck,it was lots of adjustings,but it works properly now.

Jay Friedrich

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 9:47 pm    

I recently acquired a Carter U12 with 9 and 5.

I can barely find my way around a standard E9 neck, but I'm curious about the C6, and the B6 seemed like a good way to get my feet wet.

If anyone can suggest resources for starting with Universal Tuning I'd appreciate it!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 1:19 am    

Because it's customer base is so small, there's not much instruction material for the uni.
Fortunately, with only one drawback, all the C6th material out there can be played on the universal.
The drawback? Good luck finding people to play Remington Ride or Raisin' the Dickens in C#, or Almost to Tulsa in G#m, although you COULD get a capo (piece of polished round bar stock just slightly larger than the height of the strings).

Alan Cook

Kent,England
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 3:08 am    

Hi Scott
As I understand it from studying the Jeff Newman c6th and universal courses the main reason for moving the boowah pedal from 8 to 4 was because the boowah pedal most common use is that it gives you a 6 major chord in the no pedal or home position.

So on a universal guitar C 6th is at fret 1 or 13 with no pedals press pedal 4 and you get a fancy A chord!

Move your foot up one without moving the bar and press pedal 5 and you have a 2 major chord D7th/ 9th.

Move up another pedal to pedal 6 and move your bar up 2 frets to fret 3 and you have the 5 chord G7th/9th Now go back to fret 1 with no pedals and you are back home at C6th.

So you have very common chord sequence a 6. 2. 5. 1. With very little bar and pedal movement. See below in the key of C major.

Of course D lever lowering your Es engaged throughout.

Pedal: (4). (5). (6). (0)

Chord number: 6. 2. 5. 1

Chord name: A. D. G. C.

Hope this helps. Alan

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 3:38 am    

I still think Jeff missed a minor boat in not having an LKR, and leaving P5 on the floor. If he'd put P5 there, no double-footing with P7, and he could have kept P4

Alan Cook

Kent,England
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 3:50 am    

Hi Lane

Well maybe but as you probably know the reason for no LKR is so you can move across the pedals without any levers getting in the way so move from E 9th tuning to B 6th tuning mid song easily. I do have a LKR on my guitars but it's tucked forward so I miss it when I move across the pedals.

Alan

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 4:39 am    

Yes, but if you move the grouping a bit farther to the right than the standard placement, say like where MSA puts it, you can easily reach all the pedals (not to mention that, if that ergonomic element matters to you), by putting P5 there, you just reduced your pedal count by one unless you use the gained space to reinstate P4).

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 4:58 am    

Interesting.
One could easily change key, and instead of
6, 2, 5, 1, it would be 5, 1, 4, b7. Convenient, too!

I have an S12 and am considering setting it up as a uni. It would be maxed out at 6p and 4k, though, but would be interesting to try this setup that Alan mentioned.

.............Pat

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 12:20 pm     Re: Universal tuning question

Scott Murray originally wrote:
I'm noticing that pedal 8 on a D-10 is over on pedal 4 on a lot of Universals, which seems confusing.

Scott, it's nothing to do with universals. A great many C6 players have P8 in position 4, probably the same sort of proportion that have the Day setup on their E9.

Although my D10 is as I just described, on my uni I have the boo-wah in its traditional home at the r.h. end because having pedal A and pedal 5 next to each other is very useful.

Unis are brilliant. Get one. D10s are brilliant too, so keep it.

Ron Kassof

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 2:38 pm    

On Universal, P6 (string 8 E to D) seems to work well on LKR, along with strings 4&8 E to D# on RKR.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 3:20 pm    

I have both those changes on RKR, which works even better!

I still don't understand how anyone can use LKR and still move freely over the B6 pedals, although a lot of unis appear to have the E lowers there - mystery (to me at least) Smile

Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 6:56 am    

Heya Scott,
I've played U-12's for years and while I've been tinkerin with old Sho-Bud and Marlens D-10s the last couple of years, I recently have gone back to the Uni. Let me know if you want to get together and try out my Excel. I haven't put my copedant on yet so it's still pretty stock Newman U-12 right now but with standard pedal 8.

For alot of the stuff you do, a U-12 could be a good fit... not to mention it's sooo much easier to haul around.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 12:03 pm    

My copedent...
http://dannynacc.com/tuning/

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 1:54 pm    

Go for it, it is a great guitar. Get the Universal course from Jeff Newman. It will explain everything to you.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.