The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  VERY EXCITED!!!!! about "Rose -Bud"
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 12:12 pm    

The slots are original. Not sure what if any purpose they were meant to serve. There are a few pictures of other SPIIs out there, some do not have the slots. Maybe they're cooling fins for the hot licks coming off the git.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 12:34 pm     Learned something new!

Learned something new!
I've never seen a Sho Bud with those before.
BTW, That is also one stunning Sho Bud with such strong figure in the maple.
Don't often see that much, and the nicely aged lacquer turned amber really warms it up.
If that is for cooling fast licks, then I know why I missed it... Whoa!
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 12:38 pm    

That was a custom guitar that Sho~Bud made.
I don't know what other things may be different on this particular model but I don't think they made too many of them.

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 2:33 pm    

This explains much of the story.

A bit of history.
As most of you know, Sho-Bud started business in 1957. In the period since then, they have built many different models of steel guitar … singles, doubles, triples, pedal, non-pedal and used many different changer configurations and on and on. Some of these guitars were truly brilliant as well as being some of the finest steels ever made. But just like Ford and General Motors had their Pintos and Corvairs, a couple of these models didn’t really ring the bells of the professionals … namely, the Baldwin cross-over and the last generation Mavericks. However, this company did design and build one extremely sought-after, very valuable model called the Super Pro II. The name is very misleading because it is not a Super Pro and it is not a Pro II but a totally different guitar. As a matter of fact, very few parts that Sho-Bud ever built interchange with this rare guitar. This guitar was supposed to be the ultimate, supreme, albeit most expensive Sho-Bud ever built. Only 7 ever were built. They were designed and built in 1984 and most went to name players for promotion purposes. These guitars have many innovative features like glow in the dark Sho-Bud fretboards, grooved end castings, rollercam (meaning a brass roller was installed in the end of each finger to eliminate wear and sliding in the changer). The single coil pickups were unique in several ways … one of which is they had the Sho-Bud logo etched in the top of the quarter inch magnet pickup. The entire mechanical undercarriage of the guitar was pure aircraft aluminum and was totally different than any Sho-Bud before or since. All 7 guitars were made from the finest, choice birdseye maple available. The several unique features of these high-quality guitars contribute to their present value of approximately $12-15,000 each, which puts them undoubtably among the most collectible of all steel guitars and definitely the most valuable Sho-Bud ever made.
After Fred Gretsch bought Sho-Bud in 1985, the company under his guidance, built several Sho-Bud guitars that had the Super Pro II decal on the front and used the Super Pro II end castings and bodies, but used the standard Super Pro changers and undercarriage. These guitars should not be confused with the original 7 Sho-Bud II prototypes. However, they are also very good and desirable Sho-Buds.
So the next time you hear someone mention Super Pro II, you’ll be aware of it’s history and true value and how unique and desirable it is in the world of steel guitars. I encourage anyone having any questions about these guitars to contact me. Look for an upcoming photo essay on my website.
Your buddy,
Bobbe

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 4:20 am    

Neil. Do you know where these 7 Sho Bud Pro IIs are these days? Who is lucky enough to own one?

Neil Lang

Post  Posted 28 May 2017 5:23 am    

Chris,
I believe the Blonde one pictured here belonged to Bobbie S. It still may be owned by his family. I think it was for sale at his Nashville store at one time. Jimmy Day had the "Blue Darlin" Super Pro II which is now in Florisant Mo. Another was owned by Doug Jernigan (A Black one) with no "cooling fins". He had it up for sale, I don't know if it sold.

The undercarriage and changers were very different from the regular Super Pros. I am keeping as much as I can, but I only had the wood shell, one neck and endplates to start with. Only able to keep and remake about 20% of the undercarriage. 80% undercarriage and 100% changers will be regular Super Pro type. Here are a couple under shots of the Blonde one here and the Blue Darlin Jimmy Day had. I see in these two examples, the Blonde has the regular narrow pedals, the Blue Darlin pedals look like a wider style. ENJOY!
Thanks,
Neil

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 2:13 pm    

Neil I believe I saw Doug J's guitar for sale at Steel guitars of Nashville when I visited in 2014. I took my family for a trip to the US to see the Time Jumpers. Well..... they didn't know that. They thought we were just doing the usual touristy things. But I visited Steel guitars of Nashville and this was when the store had just reopened I think. There was very little stock, only a few guitars, but one of them was a beautiful black Bud which I was told was owned by Doug Jernigan. I'm guessing it was this guitar It was loaded with levers. Must have had 9 or even 10. I wish I had known the guitar was such a rare bird. I would have taken a lot more interest and had a close look, maybe even played it??? That would have been a real treat.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 2:36 pm    

Doug Jernigan, as of the 2017 Dallas steel show in March still owned his SuperPro II. He had the entire guitar stripped down, rebuilt and refinished. It is still for sale last I knew and he had it on a table with a 4 sale sign on it.

Gene Haugh

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 6:23 am    

Neil,
Just a few small facts that will go along with the rebuilding of the "Rose". The "Rose was a water mount Decal that I found on the rack at Wal~Mart in DeQueen Arkansas. The color of the Steel was not intended to be White it was intended to be Ivory. The way this was accomplished was with the assistance of a Lilly Industrial Finishing Tech. George Reeves. We sprayed the cabinet with white Latex then our regular 8 coats of amber Lacquer gave it the Ivory color.
The Grooves in the End Plates was a Charlie Roy suggestion who owned Sho~Bud at the time before Baldwin Co. took it back in I think 1984. The reason, was to distract from the Air Blow Holes in the casting nothing more. When we moved to DeQueen there were almost 400 Sho~Buds in stock that were not sold and Charlie decided to not build anything but Super Pro II that is where the ones with the regular undercarriage came in because I quit in 1984 and I was the one making all the parts so then came the regular parts.
The original Super Pro II had Brass Rollers in the changer and when we brought it back from St. Louis Charlie sent it to Hollywood to be in a movie and I begged for him to return it but it never showed up. So if anyone ever comes across one with Brass Roller's that is the first one.
I have a picture! That's all.
Gene Haugh

Neil Lang

Post  Posted 31 May 2017 8:01 am    

Gene,
This information is "Priceless" in Sho-Bud history in my opinion. And for sure in my relationship with the "Rose".
I am keeping the center rail and had an aluminum plate rail made for the front apron to accept the hex rods. It will be set up as an 8X5. I had to have a new bottom neck made and is in that process now. Several parts for the undercarriage will be purchased from PSG Parts (Michael Yal). I will post pictures when done. No, it won't be as it was, but it will have a new "2nd" life as a Beautiful one of a kind Sho-bud!!
Thanks again so much for your input Gene!!! I would love to chat with you sometime at 507-369-3050!!!

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 4:44 pm    

Very interesting info on S~PII's Gene! Thanks or sharing Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 11:04 pm     Love to see the front

Hi Neil,
Love to see the front of Jimmy Day's blue Bud?
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Neil Lang

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 4:20 am    

Andy, I have been looking. This is not very clear but here is one shot. If anyone can get in touch with Bruce Fischer, I think he owns it now. He has posted pictures in the past, but I can't seem to find one.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 5:26 am    

The first year or two that I went to St. Louis that is the guitar he was playing. Then he went to Derby and then Mullen.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 9:18 am     Thanks Neil

Thanks Neil,
That's a fairly good photo. Nice looking guitar. Good blue color.
Amazing to think some guys think they can make the big time with just 4 knee levers! Whoa! Laughing

Neil Lang

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 5:43 am    

I am moving along with the "Rose" project. The only real problem I have had is painting the necks, one of them being a replacement. The Rustoleum I found matches very good but......I had the "wrinkle" problem and it really has driven me a bit crazy, but I think I have got it figured out. The pickups and center neck switch (I made) is in and work great. Undercarriage needs to be "rodded-up", getting closer. I have been unable to find the matcing water slide decals for the necks, that it had originally. I looks really good without them also. I did find this as an "expired" listing on Ebay. I can print it out but no "non-cheesy" way to put them on, so might have to leave that. I will post the finished product when done hopefully by Sept. 1st?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 6:32 am    

I played Jimmy's SP2 several times, it was a very smooth guitar. I asked him about the slotted endplates and he said "they look pretty, don't they?" Wink

Gene Haugh, you supply great first-hand information about S~B after David Jackson separated from the company (I recall he went into the bus remodeling business). Your input is SO valuable. I have one of the "mystery serial number" Professionals that have a couple obviously original variations from the standard Professional. I might want to run a question or two past you.

I can't recall when Jimmy's SP2 was sold. It might have been after the funeral in January of 1999, or possibly beforehand. The owner could tell us. I know that one of the Mullen Blue Darlin's went to David Zettner and was later returned to Marilyn and was sold elsewhere, and another I think is in Colorado in the hands of a private owner.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?