The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peterson Flip tuner - up the neck
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 5:28 pm    

Tuning with the flip tuner sweetened and open strings you get a pretty good tuning from it. But when you move up the neck , say 8th fret open , and check the tuning there , every strings appears to be off with the tuner even if you zero the E's with the bar. Nothing changed except the bar position. why?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 8:26 pm    

Because you're now at C9th instead of E9th

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 8:41 pm    

Longer explanation:
The tuner sweetenings adjust scale degrees sharp or flat, without regard to the note names. Because it's an E9th, to sweeten the perfect 4th, you'll want to flat the A a few cents. And you'll slightly sharp the B note of the 5th and 10th strings.
The C, being a minor third above the slightly flatted A, will also be a tad flat of ET. So if you go to the 8th fret, the string you have tuned to the root will now be getting measured as the b6th. The G note open will be programmed to be a b3 at the nut (also a tad flat of ET), but the G will be the 5th and 10th string now, and you tuned those a tad sharp.
In short, if you program your tuner (and I ADAMANTLY insist this is a bad idea¹), do NOT use it anywhere but open (unless your tuner allows you to reset the home tone, and I don't think the Peterson does).

¹I recommend the old-fashioned way of using a tuner with a needle, set to ET, and tuning to the chart until you memorize the chart. Instead of pretending that a C# 17 cents flat is in tune, aim the damn needle at -17 cents.

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 8:50 pm     flip tuner

Lane,Considering a strobe, which is more useful,the flip type or the other strobe o H D.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 9:29 pm    

As far as I know, none of them have the ability to display the deviation in cents from zero.
Don't get me wrong: their stuff is well made, and their support is top notch. But if someone GAVE me one, I'd give it away.
If one would display how many cents sharp or flat the note is, I'd recommend that model. They use a different philosophy; that's fine (since I no longer have any computers, just android devices, the fact that you have to plug them into a computer to edit the tunings is also a disappointing factor)
Q: do you use beveled or square tweezers to remove splinters?
A: scalpel.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 9:47 pm    

If you have a smartphone, there are many good free or cheap tuner apps, and Peterson sells an adapter to plug your guitar cable into the phone. Almost all of them have a virtual needle.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 8:16 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Longer explanation:
The tuner sweetenings adjust scale degrees sharp or flat, without regard to the note names. Because it's an E9th, to sweeten the perfect 4th, you'll want to flat the A a few cents. And you'll slightly sharp the B note of the 5th and 10th strings.
The C, being a minor third above the slightly flatted A, will also be a tad flat of ET. So if you go to the 8th fret, the string you have tuned to the root will now be getting measured as the b6th. The G note open will be programmed to be a b3 at the nut (also a tad flat of ET), but the G will be the 5th and 10th string now, and you tuned those a tad sharp.
In short, if you program your tuner (and I ADAMANTLY insist this is a bad idea¹), do NOT use it anywhere but open (unless your tuner allows you to reset the home tone, and I don't think the Peterson does).

¹I recommend the old-fashioned way of using a tuner with a needle, set to ET, and tuning to the chart until you memorize the chart. Instead of pretending that a C# 17 cents flat is in tune, aim the damn needle at -17 cents.

Ah , yes I see this now. Wow that didnt even enter my mind. Thanks !!

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 9:30 am    

There is a move that allows you to adjust the cents. If you ask Susan Haslam she can explain it to you.
I wouldn't give one away. If you want to give it to me.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 10:04 am    

Oh Lane!

I'm saddened to hear your comments, because I just ordered the StrobePlus HD. It has arrived, is sitting here on my floor in an unopened box! Embarassed

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 11:00 am    

Tim,
That is a great tuner, just enjoy it like I do! Very Happy

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 11:50 am    

Tim, they're great tuners. I just disagree (mightily) with the basic principle behind it.
Open it. Use it.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 1:26 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
....(since I no longer have any computers, just android devices, ....

Lane,

Last time I checked, Android devices ARE computers - crippled, yes, but still computers none the less.

BTW, our house has lots of Android devices and a bunch of their bigger brothers.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 2:11 pm    

Yes, but you can't plug a tuner into a phone, as the standard cables won't get the job done. And for a while, you needed a Windows or Mac machine to create and modify patches. I think they're now interfacing with Chrome, which should be fine.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 2:38 pm    

The problem is Android drivers. I have USB cables to side load android aps via USB but Android doesn't want stuff coming in via the USB port other than charging and Google sync. Maybe a storage device as well.

Someday we will have decent USB ports on phones & tablets (well, in the Android world anyway. iOS is another nightmare). Until then, the native Android apps to talk with outboard devices won't be written.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 4:11 pm    

I think HTC might allow such behavior. Unfortunately, the device manufacturers futz around with things, and this device (a Motorola Turbo 2, an insurance "upgrade" from an HTC One M8 which was much better) has many functions curtailed.
Motorola hasn't gotten over its roots in company 2Way radio, where nobody was allowed to do anything but talk on them.
Hell, even after unlocking developer mode, I can't disable the stupid split screen.

Carol Teston

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 5:09 pm    

Friends

A question on the Emmons 440 tuning--all open strings are tuned straight up to 440 except Buddy said the 3rds and 6th are tune to about 438 because if breakage

my questions is are all the e9th pedals tuned to 440 as well when engaged?? Also are all the knee levers tuned to 440 when they are engaged

any help would be appreciated from you folks

Thanks Carol

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 5:19 pm    

Every note tuned to a third should be about 6-8 cents flat. This means, with the average 3&4 setup, the following notes: D#, E#/F, G# and C#. If you also lower your Bs to A#, tune the A# flat by the same amount.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 7:59 am    

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 6:15 pm    

Larry - the Peterson Flip *is* a strobe.

IMO it's a great tuner once you learn how to program it. b0b is the king of programming IMO, and there are a ton of resources concerning how different tunings should be tempered. They vary quite bit from Peterson's standard programs and "sweeteners".

Once individual open (and "changed") notes are programmed the instrument is in a well-balanced tuning all over the neck. NO instrument wth strings and a bar will ever be in tune the same everywhere, but the goal is to achieve a tuning that's "out of tune" a minimal amount and close to the same everywhere. It can be done with the right programming - I've done it in E9, B6, C6, Dobro G, Wiessenborn D and several other tunings.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 10:04 pm    

PitchLab Pro works fine on Android phones. Buy it for a few bucks, you get pedal steel tunings, it does display offset in cents, you can edit sweetenings if you want. I am going to sacrifice an old wired headset for the cable with mic-in connector, will connect the other end to a 1/4" plug that will hook up to the tuner out on my Hilton VP.