Author Topic:  walkin away, clint black steel player
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 2:09 pm    

who did the steeling on " walkin away", clint black

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 2:48 pm    

I'm pretty sure that would be Jeff Peterson, Joe. He's been with Clint for years...

Jon Alexander

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 5:10 pm     Walkin' away,Clint Black steel player

A gorgeous piece of accompaniment.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 5:46 pm    

sounds like Paul Franklin to me

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 5:58 pm    

Just looked at the credits and it's Jeff Peterson on steel. Jeff told me a few years back that he did all the steel and dobro work on Clint's records in the '90s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 6:05 am     and yet more info....

Seems to me I remember that a large "section" of Nashville A-teamers did Clint sessions in L.A.(and Nashville). This would have been the "No Time To Kill" project. Having always liked Clint for his progressive country thing I expected it to be a "hot" album...which it was. With all due respect to Clint's band(one of the more capable artist bands)I enjoyed the "change-of-pace" on this project. Don't know for sure who played on "Walkin' Away"(not on this project). Seems like it was Jeff P. But a "trained ear" could tell the difference between Jeff and Paul. Respectfully submitted, RK

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 7:07 am    

Sounds like Franklin on this cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1UzjnHjK7A

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 26 May 2017 7:25 am    

You're absolutely correct, Dale.

OK guys, I just did a little more research and here's the steel credits for Clint's first 6 albums

Killin' Time: Jeff Peterson
Put Yourself in My Shoes: Jeff Peterson
The Hard Way: Jeff Peterson, Sonny Garrish
No Time To Kill: Paul Franklin
One Emotion: Jeff Peterson
Nothin' But The Taillights: Paul Franklin

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 2:37 pm    

Somehow we seem to have drifted away from the original post, which was for the song Walkin' Away.
Since we changed the subject from the original post, time to refresh.

Walkin' Away was on the Killin' Time LP.
Which would make the steel player Jeff Peterson.

Nothing but the Taillights was on the LP of the same name.
Which would make it Paul Franklin as stated.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2022 9:02 am     Walkin' Away

As is like me...I'm a little late on this reply..yes, I played on all of Killin' Time..but, funny enough I also played the title track on Nothin' But The Taillights. I got to be in the video for this song also, in L.A., and what an incredible day! Hilarious is an understatement, but my favorite moments were with Lee Sklar...for a good while, the director just left him at the top of the hill..his response was classic, but not repeatable on this forum.
As an addendum, saying that even for a second that it was thought that it was Paul on Walkin' Away is more than just a compliment to me....thanks!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2022 6:53 pm     Re: Walkin' Away

Jeff Peterson wrote:
As is like me...I'm a little late on this reply..yes, I played on all of Killin' Time..but, funny enough I also played the title track on Nothin' But The Taillights. I got to be in the video for this song also, in L.A., and what an incredible day! Hilarious is an understatement, but my favorite moments were with Lee Sklar...for a good while, the director just left him at the top of the hill..his response was classic, but not repeatable on this forum.
As an addendum, saying that even for a second that it was thought that it was Paul on Walkin' Away is more than just a compliment to me....thanks!

Jeff, I remember a song on the "Killin' Time" record called "Nothing's News-I can tell the steel on the song is an Emmons and you're playing it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 6:49 am    

Thanks for chiming in, Jeff - I've always enjoyed your playing. I took a week with Jeff Newman years (OK, decades!) ago and he had very nice things to say about you.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 10:46 am    

Jeff, Are you still playing with Clint?, My nephews saw him in Austin in the last month and are big fans, said the show was great. They are young and totally love Clint!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2022 9:29 am    

The steel part in this song is simply wonderful,,, Simple, but so elegant and the tone is so warm and musical.. Really lovely stuff.. By far my favorite Clint Black song... Jeff if you read this reply, what kind of guitar did you play it on?.. Besides the extremely tasteful playing the tone you laid down for this song was really beautiful... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2022 6:02 am    

Kind words much appreciated. Funny story for that album. On an out of state gig, I think Arizona, my guitar just happened to be under the main board on load out and got squished. Got back to Houston and made a panic run to Herb Remington's house to see if I could borrow a guitar...I ended up buying a first run MCI D-10 with 9-8 for, get this, $400. It was black with that ivory looking binding. I had already called Ron Lashley, but unluckily for me at the time, he didn't know me from Adam.
So, I ended up doing, as I remember, just about half the album on that guitar and a new Emmons showed up at the studio(Digital Recording) in Houston.
I believe Walkin Away was the Emmons.
We also did a TV show in Nashville that we flew to...I did not yet have a road case for the Emmons, so I took the MCI..There is a song or two from that video I saw on Youtube not too long ago. I had never seen it until then and had forgotten I played that guitar on it.