The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for "Baritone" Steel Advice
Alex Johnson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 7:16 pm    

I am going to attempt a "baritone" set up for an avant-garde Metal band that wants me to record with them this fall. I'll be using a new GFI Ultra SD10 to experiment with the copedent, these have very little cabinet drop and are extremely easy to work on and I'm sure the the modern undercarriage will be able to handle the increased gauges well. This is definitely not my normal "country" or "swing" gig so I'm not only planning on lowering the tuning but also changing the open chord as well. I'm thinking of changing String 9 from D to B (with P1++C#) and changing String ten from B to a low E (with +1 & -1 to match the other e's) . Can anyone explain replacing your String 7 F# with a second E like I've seen in many E7 "sacred steel" tunings? After making these changes everything will be detuned -6 to be basically a Bb9 Tuning. Since my D will be gone I guess that means it's not chromatic anymore. Has anyone attempted anything like this before? I've heard of A9th tunings so it can't be that far off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as far as maybe a different copedent idea? Should I keep my string 9 and lose String 7 instead? These are all questions I don't have an answer for.

Here's an awesome PF baritone number I was able to find on YouTube

https://youtu.be/02UpAZ-gv-w

Thanks!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 7:39 pm    

I found an octave down felt weird to me, so I went to A9, exactly like my E9th but down a fifth.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 9:02 pm     Looking for Baratone Steel advice

You should be able to add another pedal or knee lever to the steel and be able to get your 9th string D note back. That is standard on the Jeff Newman 12 string Universal tuning. Check out Tom Brumley's tuning. He used an 11th string for a low E, Like the 12string Uni. tuning.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 10:27 pm    

This is my 12 string tuning. Please note that I have an extra octave of bass on strings 10,11,and 12, plus an extra low A note, the equivalent of the A string on a bass.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 3:41 am    

Just some ideas: I would think that Metal requires a really dark, spooky tonality. E9 tuning is really optimized to play I-IV-V type chord progressions in any particular key. The most intense and flexible thing would be to base the guitar's tonality and copedent on the harmonic minor scale. Incidentally, that's probably what you would want if you wanted to specialize in Bach on PSG.

The harmonic minor uses a flat third of course compared to the major scale. So you might base your open strings on E minor with a flat third: E G B D# (spelling out an EminMaj7 chord). But as you raise or lower the bar you want to easily play major chords too. Major chords in the harmonic minor key are placed in such a way tonally that they actually contribute to the minor tonality. So one pedal should raise the open G to G#.

Next the 6th and 7th tones can be lowered a half step at will. So maybe a knee lever that lowers both a half step plus a knee lever that lowers only the 6th would give you amazing options for both melody and plucking out the very many possible chords that fit into the harmonic minor key. Included are augmented and diminished chords which both would inject a high amount of spookiness into the music.

I'm definitely intrigued enough to want to try that out, but would need to find a student model guitar to experiment with. Mucking up perfectly good vintage pro level guitars wouldn't seem to be a good idea.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 11:43 am     Baritone

Alex, I've used an ext E9 (S10)for years, in addition to traditional country I also play in a R & B band, Rock and jazz band and a Raggae band with this setup..Larry Very Happy

Alex Johnson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 7:48 pm    

This is all great stuff. Thanks all!