The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Proper sub forum for a prospective pedal steel guitar player
Jack Rydeen

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 7:09 am    

Before I start asking endless questions about the pedal steel guitar, I want to make sure of the correct sub-forum for such questions. Just turned 54, joined the forum yesterday and getting close to purchasing and learning the pedal steel for my own enjoyment.

Thanks!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 7:43 am    

This one for everything on the steel but the pickups, as well as playing it, goes here.
If it's got wires soldered to it, its discussion goes in electronics.
There's an overlap between the two where, especially from beginners, you get "I can't get that classic tone. What's wrong with my amp/pickup/amp settings?" although it's usually the right hand, and an hour with an experienced player will enlighten, assuage you, but also humble you.
It's good to know your guitar can sound good, but frustrating that you can't make it happen yet.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 10:05 am    

Where in Texas are you ? Most things can be made clear with a little hands on experience.

Jack Rydeen

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 12:16 pm    

Irving

Dan Kimpel

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 12:50 pm    

Your avatar doesn't look very Texan Wink

Jack Rydeen

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 3:24 pm    

Just another Cheesehead transplant to Texas. I'm not sure anyone is from Dallas, we have all infiltrated the Lone Star State. Me, to get away from the snow. Only been down here 4 years

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 4:17 pm    

You should be able to find a steel mentor around Dallas.
MSA isn't the cheapest guitar out there (near the top, actually), but they're near you.

Jack Rydeen

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 5:32 pm    

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to
make some contacts before diving in. I've done about as much reading about all the differnt manufactures I can. I've got 3 in mind, Emmons, Zum and Sho~Bud. However I'm still going to seek out as much advice as I can.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 5:59 pm    

Check out Fred Justice and his Justice Pro Lite Pedal Steel. Welcome to the forum, good folks here.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 9:10 pm    

Hello Jack,
Also welcome to the forum. Do you play anything else or is this your first instrument?

............ Pat.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 10:33 pm    

Jack Rydeen wrote:
I've got 3 in mind, Emmons, Zum and Sho~Bud.

All 3 are out of business.

Buying used is risky if you don't know what you're doing, or what to look for. If you;'re going to get a used guitar, make sure you have an experienced player look it over first.

There are some good deals in the classifieds. I'm partial to MSA, and there's one for sale in the classifieds right now.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 10:47 pm    

Who are the players to know around Dallas Irving, DFW, etc.? I'm moving to Grand Prairie next week and would like to meet players in the area once I get settled.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 12:49 am    

As Lane pointed out, MSA is located in Dallas. The folks there must know all the local players.

BTW, MSA is one of the premium builders who makes some of the finest, and most expensive, steels in the world.

Jack Rydeen

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 2:52 am    

Pat Chong wrote:
Hello Jack,
Also welcome to the forum. Do you play anything else or is this your first instrument?

............ Pat.

Only instruments I've played were in high school years ago, sousaphone and piano. Never played a string instrument.

Jack Rydeen

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 3:22 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Jack Rydeen wrote:
I've got 3 in mind, Emmons, Zum and Sho~Bud.

All 3 are out of business.

Buying used is risky if you don't know what you're doing, or what to look for. If you;'re going to get a used guitar, make sure you have an experienced player look it over first.

There are some good deals in the classifieds. I'm partial to MSA, and there's one for sale in the classifieds right now.

Good advice Mike. I plan on seeking a veterans' advice when the time comes. I would rather buy a used pro model from a reputable member on this forum.

I'm not strapped to a specific budget, but what I don't want to do is buy a cheap beginner model that later I would want to replace with a solid model that fits someone that's 6'5" with long arms and legs. Yes....I'm vertically challenged Very Happy

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 3:56 am     Welcome ...

Jack ... Welcome to the Steel Guitar Forum and the Pedal Steel Guitar brotherhood. You will find everyone here more than willing to help one another. backed up by over hundreds of years of collective experience. I think many will admit that if this much information and help was readily available back when many of us started our learning process, we would all probably have advanced much quicker than we did without it. Read everything you can, talk to everyone and get different viewpoints, and add this information to your book of knowledge. These guys are all a wealth of information who readily share their knowledge. Lastly, however much "seat time" you put in will be the all-important factor determining your progress. Best of Luck in your steel guitar efforts. Keep us abreast of how your progressing. Best Regards.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 4:20 am    

Jack,Visit"Charley's guitar shop in Dallas,There's a guy there I forget his name right now,But he's a GFI dealer,plus he plays and seems like a good guy!Alex Johnson is the guy!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jack Rydeen

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 4:30 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Jack,Visit"Charley's guitar shop in Dallas,There's a guy there I forget his name right now,But he's a GFI dealer,plus he plays and seems like a good guy!Alex Johnson is the guy!!

I've seen Alex offer some used pedals for sale. I also believe there is a shop in Ft. Worth Lambs Music.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 5:25 am    

Steve Lamb has been selling and servicing Steel Guitars in the Fort Worth area for more years than I like to remember. I bought my first professional steel guitar from Steve over 30 years ago and he was extremely helpful and patient with a LOT of newby questions.

I'm pretty sure he still has lessons through his shop as well. Contact him through the website or directly at this address/number.

http://lambsmusic.com/

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 5:35 am    

You are in a great spot for steel players !

Track down these guys:

http://www.texassteelguitar.org/

Also Steve Lamb is one of the good guys.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 6:14 am    

Couldn't agree more with Mike P. He is a fine player and MSA has always been a great guitar. The one for sale on the forum is being sold by Duane Dunard who is very reputable...buy once and own forever!

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 6:54 am     steel guitar

welcome jack from a greenbay packer fan. god luck with your fine.

p.w Very Happy

Jack Rydeen

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 6:59 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
You are in a great spot for steel players !

Track down these guys:

http://www.texassteelguitar.org/

Also Steve Lamb is one of the good guys.

For the first time in my 54 years, I got to see and hear a pedal steel guitar in person.

I spent 12 hours just watching and listening at the TSGA Jamboree in March. It took me a week afterward to rehab my mouth, as I sat there all day and night with my jaw hitting the floor Smile For years I have thought about learning the instrument and after that day, I was sold! Not to mention all the comradery I witnessed. The folks I spoke with from the TSGA were unbelievably friendly.

I will say though I was very intimidated, but I haven't heard such beautiful country music and talented individuals in my entire life.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 7:30 am    

The proper section for asking "which is the proper sub-forum?" is Forum Feedback.