The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud SD-10 Rebuilt, 5&4, Traded
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 1:19 pm    

Sho-Bud SD-10 Rebuilt last year.
I will consider all reasonable offers. $1,740.00 OBO plus $50.00 to cover about 1/2 of the shipping UPS Ground or pick up here in Springfield, Oregon.
Could meet within 100 miles?
Have lowered the price as the market is week and today marks a month it's been for sale.

This Sho-Bud started life in the early to mid 70’s as a D-10 Professional Model.
My friend and I took two of these D-10’s and have been turning them into four SD-10’s.
For your interest here is a link to the work in progress as it went on with these guitars; http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=247825&highlight=

I just bought a Promat D-10 PP two months ago and have my new Mullen SD-10 G2, 5&5 has now arrived, leaving me with three pedal steels in my living room so not much room for living! Also still have my Star PSG over in Saigon. Too many.

I’m afraid it’s time to thin the herd as they say. Gotta let this one go.
Here is what you’d get in this fine PSG;
New built cabinet we made of the finest Big Leaf Quilted Maple from Oregon. Center inlay of American Bald Eagle clutching an American Flag made from Paua Abalone, White, Bronze & Gold Mother Of Pearl with Red Coral and Blue Lapis Re-Con Stone.
Blue and Black stained nitro cellulose lacquer finish. Some light checking from four cold airline flights in baggage, but not bad.

We had new end plates and keyheads cast so there are no gapping holes where the C6th neck would have been. The new cast keyheads also buff out much better than the original ones that would not get a good shine.
This guitar has 5 pedals and 4 new polished knee levers.

Copedent attached below. Very easy to change and that is the best thing about the rack and barrel pulling system, so simple and quick to change the tuning and experiment.

New lighter weight polished pedal bar that I made to help take un-needed weight off the guitar.

My intention was to put a real leather arm rest on it, but I just could not bare to loose seeing the stunning wood. It is quite comfortable without the armrest.
However I've now made a movable arm rest with very nice deep blue, very soft lambs hide. It has a rubber base so it stays in place without being attached to the guitar.

The fretboard Frets & Position Markers (Roman Numerals) I made were inlaid Abalone and Mother Of Pearl. Look nice, but was hard to see in certain low light situations (Lower Photo).
I have now overlaid that fretboard with this very nice Black & Polished Silver fretboard that I made and is very easy to see in any light (Upper Photo).

I do not want to include the case because it will be needed for another PSG I’m working on, so it is offered without a case.
A light weight moulded case can be bought elsewhere for a little extra cash.
I will ship in a well padded wood box. The guitar is standard height.

I never knew what to do with the pedal & knee lever tuning wrench when I was not using it. I used a tuner bushing next to the keyhead to hold that so it is handy when needed. I think it's a good idea...

There is already the wiring needed for an add on tone control that will be included. I never felt the need to attach it because the three way switch gives plenty of tone variation. (That is the Green Wire)

This has a butt kicking Jerry Wallace True Tone pickup split for 12k & 18k. Very good range of tone.
There is already the wiring needed for an add on tone control that will be included. I never felt the need to attach it because the three way switch gives plenty of tone variation. (That is the Green Wire in the photo)

This is the copedent that is on the guitar now, very easy to change to whatever you may want.

One potential buyer wanted to see the arm rest so here are the photos of that;

It is designed to go from the right side of the steel to the 5th fret.
That leaves more of the wood showing. Too nice to hide in my mind.
It is lamb hide dyed dark blue/purple with the suede side showing.
Very soft and comfortable.
The rubber bottom keeps it from slipping, but you can lift it off and no marks left or holes drilled to hold it, though that could be done.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 6 Jul 2017 1:21 pm; edited 17 times in total

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 10:08 am     About the copedent

About the copedent, I put two of the Franklin changes on pedal 5 but have not really used it much.
Since this copedent was posted I have added the low B to A drop onto pedal 5 for the complete Franklin change.
I'm not really sure just what to do with it?
If I were to be keeping the guitar I'd use another change on that pedal, but it seems like a lot of guys are having that now.
Until it sells I'll fool around with it to see if I can get any good licks or chords out of it? Got a lot of F#'s there fella! Whoa! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 16 May 2017 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 8:57 pm    

Very nice job Andy!! Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 10:12 pm     Thanks Bob

Thanks Bob,
Hate to sell it, but just can't justify so many PSG's.
Best to see it go to some player who needs a good instrument.
I'm sure when the Mullen arrives next week I'll be hard to pry away from that for a few days. Very Happy
Andy

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 4:04 am    

Beautiful work Andy !

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 10:06 am     Thanks Chris, And another possibility

Thanks Chris,
And another possibility is to use this beautiful Mirror Polished Gold and White Sho-Bud style fret board on this and change out the Silver Grover Rotomatic tuners for Gold Grover Rotomatic tuners....
Just sayin' that sure would look good, But i like Gold & Silver together.
Sure would show up well in a dark bar room or honky tonk. Very Happy Shocked

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 4:55 pm     three offers?

Had three people make serious inquiries and two cash offers, but not one I'd take yet. Have to get closer to the asking price or I'll just keep it.
Thanks guys.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 1:11 pm     Top again

TTT

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 10:57 pm     Could add the third Franklin change?

I could add the third Franklin change if that is desired.
I have the extra pull rod and barrel to drop the 10th string to A.
Forgot to mention that.
I played this guitar a lot last week and it really is a nice one. Very Happy
No reason you could not play it for many more years to come.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 6:31 pm     Sale no longer pending?

After dealing with this guy for a few days, 13 PM messages and an e-mail as well, offers and counter offers, Agreement on all details and this fellow thinks it's just fine to keep adding on new demands....
Enough already, let him find his pedal steel guitar elsewhere. I've run out of wanting to deal with anybody like that. Rolling Eyes Whoa!

Okay, it's back up for sale, $1,800.00 OBO with you covering $70.00 of the shipping and insurance and me getting whatever it is over that in the lower 48 states.

If you are serious feel free to contact me.
If you just want to play games, please go elsewhere.
I'll keep the guitar before I'll be jacked around by some individual with nothing better to do.
Remember, Money Talks and we all know what walks....
Thanks... Very Happy

Mark Shuda

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 9:25 am     (*^&^&^%%

Maybe you should send him a scathing personal post, laced with expletives!
LMAO
I think you were the only one that seen my post before I deleted it.
I cant ever remember being that mad !
Good luck on the sale! L, lots of sho buddies out there. Its just that we are all broke !!!!!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 10:03 am     Indeed, but...

Hi Mark,
Indeed, but I did let him know I didn't like being jerked around.
Have had no response but know he got the message.
I don't want to go foul or use his name in public.
He makes a fair number of posts and another person who sells a lot on the forum has advised me he has also had a bad experience with this guy.
He knows who he is and thats enough.
If I don't sell the guitar on the forum then I'll take it to Saigon where they are not available very often, like almost never! Whoa!
Seems the market is slow right now as I've seen some PSG's that usually would go fast sit here on the forum for weeks. There was a Red Rains SD-10 that I would have expected to last only a day or so but went a long time at a good price before it sold.....
Best wishes,
Andy

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 6:54 pm    

Andy that's the prettiest steel I've ever seen, I believe you should raise the price,the underside is as nice as top side. That beautiful wood would cost a fortune if you could even find it.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 2 May 2017 2:35 am     I agree but

Thanks Johnie,
I agree however right now the market for used steels seems a little week.
But right, I won't go very far down and would rather hold on to it because it really is worth more than I'm asking.
Best wishes,
Andy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 6 May 2017 4:19 pm     Three Weeks?

Been on the page for three weeks.
Seems like the market is slow just now.
Still open to a good offer as long as your not just messing around.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 16 May 2017 11:06 am     To the top for price drop.

To the top for price drop.
Good offers are wanted. Smile

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 21 May 2017 6:42 am     Sho Bud, 5&4 Price has been lowered

Sho Bud, 5&4 Price has been lowered a few days ago.
This is a great PSG, Easy to change tuning any time.
Now in E9th but could also be set to Standard C6th with 3 extra knee lever to do as you wish.
Attached is a possible C6th tuning you could put on this with just a string set change and re-rodding for this tuning or whatever you'd want to do with it?

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 24 May 2017 9:36 am     Also possible to do a D9th/6th Tuning

Also possible to do a D9th/6th Tuning on this guitar.
Kind of like what Bob does with his.
Many years ago I had a tuning a lot like this, but with less changes available and it was fun.
Though not so easy to work with tab music.
Very Happy
If your thinking I'd really like to sell this, then you'd be right!.... Laughing

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 31 May 2017 6:58 am     Bump

Bump

Frank Markow

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 1:37 pm    

This is a beautiful guitar for sure. You need to find someone with the initials AD here... then it will be sold in no time!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 31 May 2017 7:24 pm     It's mine?

Those are my initials and I'd think as the builder that would be fine?

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 6:52 pm     Back up

Sho-Bud SD-10 Rebuilt, 5&4, Beautiful & Versatile too
Back up to the top...

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 12:43 pm     Last Price Drop

TTT For last price drop before I pull it off the for sale page.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 7:37 pm     Trade is complete

Had intended to thin the herd, but got an offer of a trade for 2 other+ that was very interesting to me so it's now a done deal...
Now I'll need a bigger ranch to hold the herd! Whoa! Very Happy