The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter or GFI?
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 2:11 pm    

just a quick poll. I don't have much experience with either brand.

looking for a Universal specifically.
thanks!

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 7:17 pm    

GFI guitars are well built and among the lightest and most compact (especially the keyless model)steel guitars being manufactured. Carters were very well built also, however, Carter ceased production a few years back and used units come up for sale only occasionally.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 2:29 am    

I own a GFI and would highly recommend them to anyone... but, I also wouldn't discourage the purchase of a Carter, as I've always been impressed by them as well. I am speaking of the full 'Pro' model Carters... I believe the Magnums and Starters to be well beneath the quality of the GFI's (although still good instruments if the price is right). But I don't think either were made as universals anyway, definitely not the Starter and I'm not sure about the Magnum. So, I too would give GFI the edge since they are still in production.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 3:58 am    

While I agree regarding the Starter, the Carter 'Magnum' model was a fine guitar. They utilized the earlier Carter design that was used before the 'BCT' (Body Contact Technology)feature was introduced. These units were sold at a lower price point primarily to (hopefully) broaden the appeal of the instrument and attract new players. They were available from certain retail outlets as well as directly from Carter..GFI has followed suit with the 'Expo' model, fewer bells and whistles but at a lower price...FYI: Neither model was/is available as a 12 string Universal.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 7:59 am    

I've owned both, and would take a GFI over a Carter any day of the week. GFIs are still being made so you can get parts and service from the manufacturer, they are easier to make changes on, the GFI I had held it's tuning better, had better tone and on and on, not to mention Carter's dog bone problem.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 5:27 pm    

Owned both and for me the Carter was far and away the better guitar,, Sounded and sustained a lot better, stayed in tune better, played easier.. I wanted to like that GFI [keyless], but it was not for me.. sold it and never looked back, and bought another carter... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 4:37 am    

I bought a new Carter 12 string 4petals 5 knees and it was all I needed. Light weight yet full sound. I played it a couple of years until I retired and now it just sits there waiting for me to get the urge to play something. Smile