The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Early 70’s MSA 14-String
Edwin Allen

Windermere, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 6:17 am    

Hello – I’m posting this to the forum classifieds to see if anyone is interested in this unique old MSA guitar. I’m asking $800 plus shipping. I bought the guitar five years ago in a state of disassembly and after receipt found essential parts were missing. The lack of documentation and my lack of familiarity with PSGs in general made this the quintessential project guitar. After photo documentation, research and cleaning I spent a couple of days in a friend’s machine shop manufacturing replacement parts. I then set it up for a variation of an E9 copedent with 3 pedals. The other four pedals and the four knee levers are not connected and I could never fully understand how all the knee levers were originally configured. The current setup is shown in the chart shaded in green.

Here is a list of existing conditions and issues, some of which will definitely need to be addressed. I did not trim the pedal rods to allow pedal leveling. The threads on one of the pedal rod ball connectors in the undercarriage was stripped and is attached with JB-Weld (and works fine). The clamps used to attach the pull rods to the cross-bars were inadequate and I fabricated new clamps that work better but could still be improved. The changer, pedal bar, pedals, and legs are all in very good condition. All parts not currently installed are included. The neck originally had painted rectangular metal badges for position markers, no MSA chess pieces. I didn’t keep them; they were replaced with colored self-adhesive paper dots. The body has some mystery holes that appear to be factory original but it’s otherwise in very good condition. I hope I am not misusing the term “very good condition” but for a roughly 45 year old instrument I believe this is accurate. Also included are some uninstalled linkages, brackets and a cross bar for the knee levers (photo included) as well as some residual hardware from the repair effort (rods, collars, springs, etc.).

For additional background here is a link to the most informative forum thread on this particular instrument thanks to the support and generosity of the late Reece Anderson along with David Wright and other members. I have never found a serial number. The guitar with the case (including additional parts) weighs 63 lbs.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=227436&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=reese++stringer&sid=d0d4357c482dca17e661710e605020bf

The instrument’s case is sturdy and the exterior is in good shape. The interior is in fair condition; it's functional but could use a renovation.

The pickup sounds great and for the mechanically proficient with an interest in a 14-string guitar I still believe it has a lot of potential. From my experience this is not a guitar for anyone with a weak will or a weak back. I’m happy to answer any questions and provide additional photos if desired.

Edwin Allen

Windermere, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2017 7:29 am    

Hi Folks - Trying to get some interest in this guitar.
Revised price is $700 plus shipping.

Edwin Allen

Windermere, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 4:30 am     Sold

This guitar has been sold and is no longer available.