The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul why do You push your pulls?😂
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 3:25 pm    

Im sorry the title got me!

Has anyone else noticed that when Paul Franklin plays something and he finishes he often takes his pick hand and pushes in on some pull rods at the changer end. I often wondered shih pull rods is it that are sticking out that he has to push back in to place. Some of his pulls have some slack...

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 5:29 pm    

You do realize the neck selector switch, pick-up switches etc, are on the changer side end plate of a Franklin?

b.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 6:05 pm    

I dont see him flicking any switches. I do see him push on the end of nylon tuners. I figured Paul has so many pulls on the E9 changer that a few of them must have some slack and beed to ve 'reset'.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 2:02 am    

I can't imagine, the Franklin guitars have a great reputation. I think Paul's guitar is perfectly adjusted.

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 9:07 am    

I asked him one time and he said it was from using a Boss Tone for years and years that he would always nudge it to make sure it was in the input good. It's just an old habit now I guess

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 9:26 am    

Yes, just a nervous habit. I've had Paul's exact E9 set-up plus a few extras on both a Franklin and Legrande's I, II, and III's. No need to push rods in either direction to true up the changer.

The only exception would be you caught him on nite something was malfunctioning. Which I seriously doubt. A Franklin is a bit of a pain to change the set-up on. But it only takes a second to tweak the under-carriage for rods that might have too much or too little slack.
b.

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 12:56 pm    

I always figured that he was just checking to see it the switches were going the right way. I also believe nervous habit. I would take that as a nervous habit Very Happy . RS

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 3:03 pm    

I think he hangs a resin bag down there somewhere.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 6:57 am    

He has two Rodney RKR levers that he switches out for different necks but I do recall him messing with the changer end. I just always figured that he was toggling one of those switches on the end of his guitar. Just my observation. Thanks for your time.

Franklin

Post  Posted 24 May 2017 1:46 pm    

Quentin,

I never push on the changer so I guess its a subliminal touch of the neck selector switch...I am honestly unaware of doing this but most nervous tics are that way.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 4:47 pm    

Everybody has one I think....Smile... just have to watch very closely..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 7:35 pm    

Paul Franklin has been and still is my friend for over 45 years. Like Buddy Emmons and Lloyd Green before him, Paul has created, played, innovated ideas and techniques that will live forever in the history and hopefully long future of pedal steel guitar and music.
In over 40 years of watching, listening and personal friendship with Paul , I've not once observed any nervous tic or anything other than authority, confidence, class and genius when he plays. 😊
By the way, Paul is as he plays. Brilliant, considerate, humble and kind to everyone.

Last edited by Tommy White on 28 May 2017 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Franklin

Post  Posted 27 May 2017 8:27 pm    

Hi TW

Tommy the same accolades are true towards our friendship and your masterfully creative musicianship. We have known each other since we were kids and we still maintain the same kind and honest friendship...It doesn't get any better than that...

Thanks for filling in for me with the Time Jumpers. I'm sure your playing was jaw dropping. It always is to my ears!

Cya around the campus.

PF

Savell

Lakeland FL
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 3:43 pm    

You guys are funny. Paul is simply the best! I enjoy so much watching him get into what he feels as it transfers to his guitar resulting in a style of his own. He absolutely needs no one to defend him, his guitar or his habits.

I used to try and set still, play as smooth I could, and look all pro and cool. But over the last year or so, I have said the heck with it and move with my feelings and emotions of the songs. I have learned to have fun with the guitar. And even though one could certainly accuse me of having my own style, no one has yet to accuse me of sounding like Paul.

I have linked to 3 examples with the time inside the video where Paul does what Hickey is talking about. If for no other reason, take moment to listen and watch the master at work. And yes, the third video clearly shows Paul is subliminally checking his selector switch position. LOL!

@ 1:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBHDw5d9Vj0

@4:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7nEkz61n2Y

@2:42 Here you can clearly see Paul is checking his switch position.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5TJMF6UUvc

If by chance, Paul & Tommy re-visit this post, I would like to personally thank them for taking time to respond and continue to be a part of the forum community.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 1:35 pm    

I saw him with Vince on Saturday night, I was watching for it, and he does do it.

I didn't mind, I might start doing it, too. I don't have a switch there, though. Laughing

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2017 6:37 pm    

This was an entertaining little thread, thanks to Tommy and Paul for coming in as well as everyone else. That question has been burning in the back of my brain for a long time now.