The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is This???
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 12:28 pm    

Anyone know what this might be, says Pedalmaster on front, MSA fret boards and sorta looks like a Sho-bud permanent underside. Didn't know Pedal Masters went this far back.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 1:56 pm    

A conundrum? Rolling Eyes

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 2:08 pm    

Vintage Frankensteel.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 2:58 pm    

I have seen a couple of these. They are pre-ZB, built by Zane Beck. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Zane worked for Sho~Bud for awhile and then moved on and started building his own guitars under the Pedalmaster name. He used the Pedalmaster name on his ZB guitars through mid 66'. The decal was on the top deck in front of the E9th neck. I have a 66' with this decal and Tom Brumley's black D-11 also has it. Tom told me that Zane had to quit using the Pedalmaster name on his guitars because of another company. I have no idea when Pedalmaster started building guitars. But this guitar, I do believe was built by Zane himself.

Greg

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 6:50 pm    

The Pedal Master name started with a man by the name of Leroy Prine in Ft.Smith, Ark. long ago. I made a post on this a few nights ago on the for sale section. Greg, Not to dispute your knowledge on this but this sorta looks like one of Leroy's Guitar's?? I used to hang out in his sign shop where he made guitars and told some wild stories. Again I say it kinda looks like his? I do not know anything for sure, just sharing a little info of time spent years ago. J.R.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 6:52 pm    

Thanks Greg, friend of bought this at a garage sale for $50 I think. It does have the pedal master decal but on front apron. You can see it in first photo. I knew there were some real early Pedal Master guitars but didn't know Zane built them. It's unplayable!

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 7:10 pm    

One more thing about my info story. Leroy used to talk to me about Zane but I did not know anything about him at that time. I think they talked a lot and swapped ideals about the workings of pedal steel. This would of been mid sixty's. After looking at the pictures again I do believe that this is a Leroy pedal steel. He used somewhat of the Sho-Bud pulls. I thought Zane even in his early days used the flat bar pull with single trees. But, I am 76 years old and do not remember things from that time very well sometimes. I do remember seeing one or more of Leroy's Pedal Master's sitting on the show room floor at Ben Jack's Guitar Center in Ft.Smith. J.R.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 7:22 pm    

This has the Pull/Release Changer. The floor pedal layout with two pedals & a space and then four or five pedals is what Leroy did. He did not have a fourth string pull to F# on a floor pedal, had it on knee lever right. So when you engaged the two floor pedals and added the knee lever it gives the you minor chord that A&B or B&C give today on the floor depending if you are playing Day or Emmons. J.R.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 7:59 pm    

I just looked at the fretboards again. Those are ZB fretboards on that guitar. The Trojans and the shields. The endplates look like Zane's. I am just going on what I have been told. Zanes very 1st guitars were based off the Sho~Bud design. Zane built the 1st ZB Custom in December of 1964. Who knows for sure and thanks J.R. for the info. Wouldn't mind having this guitar myself. I already have 26 or 27 so whats one more!!! LOL

Goodnite all,

Greg

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 6:16 am    

J R Rose wrote:
This has the Pull/Release Changer. The floor pedal layout with two pedals & a space and then four or five pedals is what Leroy did. He did not have a fourth string pull to F# on a floor pedal, had it on knee lever right. So when you engaged the two floor pedals and added the knee lever it gives the you minor chord that A&B or B&C give today on the floor depending if you are playing Day or Emmons. J.R.

J. R., on Day, it's still the C pedal. The C pedal raises 4 and 5. The difference is that Day mounts the pedals CBA.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 6:55 am    

Thanks Lane for correcting me. I knew what I was trying to say just did not come out right,ha! Greg, I would believe that you are correct for I know you have been involved and know a whole lot more than I ever will about Zane. I stand corrected but still lean toward that this is a Leroy Prine guitar?? Leroy & Zane were close enough friends that he could of gotten the fretboards from Zane? For your info I have given up on trying to write a small book on the History of ZB Guitars and Zane Beck. You have a wealth of knowledge
about all this and so I encourage you to write all you know down and I and other's would be more than glad to help you out. If you want to talk to me I think you have my phone # but if not send me a PM and I will get it to you. Thanks, J.R.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 7:00 am    

I have one just like it at the shop

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 7:27 am    

What do you say it is Jim??. J.R.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 9:16 am    

I've been confused a long time- some say it was an early Miller however it has a permanent undercarriage w pull-release changer, ZB-like levers, fretboards, and endplates w single coil pickups so an early ZB would make sense. It had no pedals when I got it so plumbed it w 10 NOS Russler pedals(thanks Chuck Back)~~available for a song Smile and setup not complete.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 8:11 pm     A Homebrew?

My guess is an old home made with a strange mix of parts.
Bet you could get it up and running and for $50.00 a guy can't expect the best.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 2:28 am    

J R Rose wrote:
He did not have a fourth string pull to F# on a floor pedal, had it on knee lever right

Even now not everyone uses the traditional C pedal - several folks on here have said they prefer the 4th string raise to F# on a lever; and Zane Beck combined it with the B pedal, at least around this time:-

It's clearly used in the same manner as a normal C pedal except it sits next to the A. It may well prove more expressive as the 4th and 5th strings are not locked together in a parallel fourth. Off-topic? Ok.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 8:12 pm    

Hi All, No one else here on the forum has mentioned that they knew Leroy Prine and the Pedal Master Guitars he built. Would like to hear from anyone that did. The decal pictured here is the same he used. Does anyone in the Ft.Smith, Ark. area have any info on him? Thanks, J.R.