The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aluminum Lap Steel, New Design, 8 Strings
W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 8:05 am    

Here is a new creation of mine, which I call "Scrapper-8". It is made from 6061 aluminum. The body and neck are routed out (hollowed out), and the guitar has back plates bolted on. It is 37 1/2" long, and weighs 14 pounds.
This guitar is 8 strings.

I made the pickup myself, using Padauk wood for the flatwork, and alnico 5 magnets, and 43 gauge wire, it measures around 9K, reasonably hot.

The fingerboard is also made from Padauk wood, has brass fretwire for frets lines, and inlaid Abalone MOP for marker dots, and the wood is finished with linseed oil.

The aluminum used in this guitar is 6061 aircraft grade aluminum alloy, with a brushed finish and is anodized clear.

Stunning sustain! The sustain from this guitar is absolutely amazing, the strings seem to resonate forever. The clean setting tone is very beautiful, but, having a rather hot pickup it will really drive your amps hard, if you want it to.

I use 250K Linear taper pots.

I have the tuning in C6 / Am7: A-C-E-G-A-C-E-G. Low string gauge is .056, guitar is set up for lower C6 tuning, or lower E, G, D, etc.

Scale is 25.5". The longer scale improves tone and sustain, and also makes bar slants easier. If you happen to like to play in the higher notes (above the 12th fret), the longer scale also makes this easier, easier to be accurate. String spacing is the typical 3/8" spacing. String height is about .650".

Here are some photos:

Wayne

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 8:14 am    

Nice! Love the control knots.
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 9:05 am    

Very nice.

Would be curious to hear how she sounds.

W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 5:07 pm    

Joe Elk wrote:
Nice! Love the control knots.
Joe Elk Central Ohio
Thanks. Kind of a design experiment. I might make more and sell them on eBay?

Wayne

W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 5:08 pm    

Stephen Abruzzo wrote:
Very nice.

I'll see if I can make a sound clip. I have a Soundcloud account and will put it there.

Wayne

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 2:49 pm     Re: Aluminum Lap Steel, New Design, 8 Strings

W. Johnson wrote:

Scale is 25.5". The longer scale improves tone and sustain, and also makes bar slants easier. ....

I am new to lap steel so go easy on me please Smile . I thought that a SHORTER scale made bar slants easier. Jerry Byrd used a 22.5" scale as slants are easier.

Also, the first Fender Stringmasters of 1953 were 26" scale but were reduced to 24.5" & 22.5" in a year I'm told to make slants easier.

Do I have it wrong?

Thanks!

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 3:07 pm    

No, you are correct.

W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 3:15 pm    

Thanks for the correction. I think I got wider string spacing and longer scale length mixed up.

Wayne

W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 7:37 am    

Stephen Abruzzo wrote:
Very nice.

Here is a link to a soundclip I made using this guitar. It is a song I wrote. Hope it gives an idea of tone and sustain.

https://soundcloud.com/wayne-k-johnson/scrapper

waynej

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 9:34 am    

Sounds nice! Congrats!