The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thumb Picks?
Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 11:40 am    

This is like so unique to the player, right? So many variables determine the angle and depth of attack. I've been playing less than a year and have managed to accumulate quite a collection of these bits of plastic and metal.
(That's in addition to what I've accumulated over 40 years for acoustic guitar and a short - very short - stint w/banjo.)
Personally, I like narrow nylon picks so I just ordered some blue Herco's from Big City String Co. I haven't tried them yet but hopefully they'll work for me like they do for Buck Reid.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 2:50 pm    

Try this link...

http://www.mcssl.com/store/steelguitarsofnashvilleinc/accessories/blue-herco-thumb-pick

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 8:07 pm     The Golden Gates.

Since discovering Golden Gate thumb picks several years ago, it's all I've used. I do have to try them on, as I have fairly large digits. Also, they have to be filed or ground down to a finer and shorter point. I've only had one of them ever break.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 8:15 pm    

Thanks to my kumu mele, Alan Akaka, I use John Pearse thumb picks. If you are careful, you can find the ones with a short shaft (the pick end). They are light, comfortable, and they don't wilt! I used Ernie Ball (I have short, stubby fingers) picks, but they would "wilt" from hand heat. I kept several of them in the slot between necks, and I would cycle through them during a gig.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

David Lubinski

Oregon
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 9:23 pm     Picks Slipping or Bar Slipping FIX

I was learning to play Dobro and have a heck of a time with the picks slipping off my fingers and dropping the bar because my hands are dry. I did so much damaging the finish on my new dobro i had to have the chips repaired. On a recommendation of Denny at Paul Beards Guitars i tried SORTKWIK by Lee Fingertip Moistener. It works great! I now use on my right hand when playing guitar to hold onto the picks. I use it on both hands when playing steel or reso guitar and it eliminated slipping of picks and dropping the bar. I have it in all my guitar cases now.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 7:52 pm    

I like the Blue picks. Got mine from Billy Cooper.
My hands sweat bad. I have been using stair safety strip for years. Ace Hardware has it in 1" strip. Rub it with a piece of metal to take the real sharp points off. Cut to fit front side of the pick only, Peal the backing and install to a clean pick. Does not move and does not have to be tight to stay in place. Have not had trouble with a thumb pick since I started using the safety strip in my thumb pick..

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 2:11 am    

Jack Aldrich wrote:
Thanks to my kumu mele, Alan Akaka, I use John Pearse thumb picks. If you are careful, you can find the ones with a short shaft (the pick end). They are light, comfortable, and they don't wilt! I used Ernie Ball (I have short, stubby fingers) picks, but they would "wilt" from hand heat. I kept several of them in the slot between necks, and I would cycle through them during a gig.

Jack, I'm with you. The short shaft makes it fast and precise, and the shape of the band makes it the most comfortable to wear.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 8:27 am    

I recently bought a bag of 50 Hercos that that my music store ordered, I can't remember from whom. To me, they are a more "sensitive" pick, and Jerry's comment about rotating between several picks because they loosen up when they get warmer is spot on.
I remember in the '80s the Herco "prize" were the darker blue picks (Delrin). I see they are still on sale and quite a bit more expensive.
http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/duflgupi.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googleshopping&googleshopping=yes&gclid=CKvo5reygdQCFdqNswodsLQGBQ
I

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 9:14 am    

Marco Schouten wrote:
Jack Aldrich wrote:
Thanks to my kumu mele, Alan Akaka, I use John Pearse thumb picks. If you are careful, you can find the ones with a short shaft (the pick end).

Jack, I'm with you. The short shaft makes it fast and precise, and the shape of the band makes it the most comfortable to wear.

JP's produce the best tone of any thumb pick I have tried. The band (or strap) is configured in a way that is very comfortable, but it is a bit large for my thumb and was always getting caught on a string. Nothing like getting the breaks put on mid-lick! If it weren't for that, I would be singing the praises with you.

Patrick Edwards

Port Orchard, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 8:17 am    

I ordered a couple blue herco picks from Frenchy's and also ordered a new pick from Ultex by Dunlap. The Hercos feel loose and the Ultex feels much better. The blade is bit shorter than that of the M white Dunlap and the material though lighter is not slippery and stays in place good. It is my favorite thumb pick now.It cost .50 more but worth it to me.