Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel players who play fiddle
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 2:20 pm    

Rick Campbell wrote:
Don R Brown wrote:
Three who come to mind are Carmen Acciaioli in Texas, Sandy Watson in upstate New York, and forumite Rick Campbell in Tennessee.

Don...thanks for mentioning me.

I'm ashamed that I neglected to mention you pal Sad

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

John Clark

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 4:10 pm    

Hey Tommy Detamore thanks for mentioning me in this post. miss working with you and hope you are doing well John

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 6:01 pm    

John Clark wrote:
Hey Tommy Detamore thanks for mentioning me in this post. miss working with you and hope you are doing well John

Likewise JC. Sorry I missed you the past few times you were in the area...

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Paul E. Brennan

Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 7:26 am    

The only thing that steel and fiddle have in common is that you need to work on and be constantly aware of your intonation. Apart from this they have nothing in common whatsoever.

I would never advise a steel player to take up fiddle with the expectation it will improve their steel playing. Fiddle technique is extremely difficult and there is very little payback for years of effort. In the meantime you'll be taking valuable seat time away from your steel. If you really want to improve your steel playing work on your intonation. That's when people will start paying you compliments and you'll start to enjoy it yourself.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 1:33 pm    

John Clark wrote:

John - I saw you about a year ago in Maggie Valley, NC with Moe. It was one of the best country shows I've ever seen. Your playing was great.

Tommy D. - you're forgiven. Very Happy

RC

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 5:30 am    

Don R Brown wrote:
Carmen Acciaioli in Texas

Saw Carmen Acciaioli with Michael Hearn and South by Southwest at Society Hall in Alamosa last night. A wonderful trio and a delightful show. Mr. Acciaioli not only tore the place up his fiddle, but his Super Pro sounded great through a little NV 112. Carmen is a true master of knuckle harmonics. Go see them if you have that opportunity. You won't be disappointed.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 6:25 am    

Do not know why I started playing fiddle, but it has pleased the crowd for years, and got me a few Garth Brooks and George Straight cover band jobs as I can cover steel and fiddle.

It is all about putting your butt in the seat and working, working, working. I still need a lot more of that.

Phone: 971-219-8533

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 9:24 am    

David Mansfield is another fiddlin' steel man

and the forum's own Jack Goodson!

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 10:46 am    

Don't forget Milo Deering! He plays every thing with strings on... Very Happy

Proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHD4bkUojM

Kind Regards, Walter

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 11:10 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Don R Brown wrote:
Carmen Acciaioli in Texas

Saw Carmen Acciaioli with Michael Hearn and South by Southwest at Society Hall in Alamosa last night. A wonderful trio and a delightful show. Mr. Acciaioli not only tore the place up his fiddle, but his Super Pro sounded great through a little NV 112. Carmen is a true master of knuckle harmonics. Go see them if you have that opportunity. You won't be disappointed.

Carmen is a busy man. The last I heard from him he was also playing with Cooder Graw, plus occasionally with Agave Posse Band. A nice guy and a very talented musician.

Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 2:38 am    

Raises an interesting question though, what are the most useful extra instruments for a steel player on the bandstand? Especially for those not playing straight ahead country, when steel doesn't fit the tune.

Guitar's the obvious one, although I always figured harmonica would be useful...

As well as Guitar, I play Mandolin and Harp, and I am trying to play fiddle. I also do a majority of the vocals.
Playing Steel really helps me with fiddle intonation (and visa-versa). as expected, I'm "a Jack of all trades, master of none", but I enjoy a challenge!
The band benefits from the variety of instruments, though I bluff my way through on some!

Sandy

Roy Heap

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 3:10 am    

Here in the UK we have an excellent steel player who is also terrific on fiddle his name is Maurice Hipkiss. Maurice can be heard playing both on many styles of music on many albums released here in the UK.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 6:31 pm    

just saw THIS on facebook!!!

[/img]

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 11:41 pm    

Fooch Fischetti!absolute killer on both axes.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 3:06 am    

I started out on cello, long before steel. Gave it up after high school, though. Wish I could play it now. Sad

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 7:17 am    

If steel and fiddle are so different why do fiddle players almost exclusively use the same amps that steel players use. I know there are exceptions but I am interested in both instruments and am struck by how many fiddle players use steel Amps.

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 8:54 am    

On amps....
I play fiddle as my first instrument, steel second, in a 5 piece country band. Since adding steel to the mix, I have not been happy using a steel amp for fiddle or vice versa. I've tried lots of combinations of amp and speaker and monitor mixes - in small bars and big outdoor stages. I'm back to using Stereo Steel with 15" JBL for steel. For fiddle it's a good preamp with either a Fishman Loudbox Performer or my personal monitor. Both signals are sent to the band PA also. I'd really like to have one amp for both, but haven't found it yet.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 12:33 pm    

The fiddle players who I have listened to most and like the most, the late French Burke, Bobby Flores, and Reggie Rueffer all played Peavey amps (1000, 500, LTD) and if I remember right Reggie played through a Webb amp also.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 6:43 pm    

I played fiddle for quite a while actually, but have laid it aside these days so I can concentrate on making the steel fit the tune hehe !! "when steel doesn't fit the tune." is not in my vocabulary, so I find ways where the pedal steel belongs in the song - regardless of the type of music.

I also play Dobro and lead guitar as well.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2018 10:24 am    

Paul Haaker plays both very well,and excellent C6 too.Not to mention Banjo and other instumments

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2018 11:10 am    

Rich Upright wrote:
I play banjo,guitar,and bass. Does that count?

I'm sorry ?