Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Robert Randolph vid on Reverb.com
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 8:12 am    

Not for the faint of heart....oh mercy. He melted my face off!! Shocked

Love it.

https://reverb.com/news/video-robert-randolph-explores-pedals-and-influences-with-his-pedal-steel

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 8:45 am    

that is great... thanks Chris

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 12:48 pm    

He started out astonishing and keeps getting better ! Thanks.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 1:16 pm    

That was a hell of a thing!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 3:11 pm     Wild!!!

Hendrix of PSG!!!!!

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 4:51 pm    

Distortion ,,, yes ,,, it can be your friend

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 7:24 pm    

Robert is way more than SOME forumites give him credit for. He's just a monster musician. Yes....I'm a fan !

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 11:04 pm    

This is amazing, thank you for posting!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 8:17 am    

It sure ain't country. Rolling Eyes

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 11:25 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:

He doesn't play country. he plays Sacred Steel. It's a music form that's related to his church. Here's a link for more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Steel_(musical_tradition)

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 11:30 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:

Well-spotted, Erv. (And it's not supposed to be country.)

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 12:30 pm    

I've got a good idea it's not country, and it's a far cry from Sacred Steel! Whoa!
His roots were in Sacred Steel but no more. Sad

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 4:36 pm    

Huh? Go check out some Campbell Brothers shows. Those dudes rock in a very serious way.

Just because Mr. Randolph left the Church doesn't mean he's left the vast influences behind. In an interview he said that he owns as much, or more, recorded material in an archive of Sacred Steel as is archived by the Grateful Dead. As a Deadhead, I realize the staggering amount of music he's alluding to.

Say what you will, but R.R. is a Sacred Steel player. EVERYTHING about his technique and sound is derived from the Campbell's approach, IMO, even the use of effects.

Last edited by Rick Abbott on 20 May 2017 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 5:06 pm    

Holey Moley!!! Whoa!

He just keeps getting faster!

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 10:08 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Quote:
It sure ain't country.

Quote:
Well-spotted, Erv. (And it's not supposed to be country.)

It's a pedal steel guitar, so it HAS to be country. What crappy country! Jeez you guys, next thing is men in skirts. Oh, OK - Scotland. But keep it DOWN Scottish steelers, please keep it down.

Well I like shred guitar, I though it was something of a shame that many of the best guitarists of the mid-80's and on had to wear eyeshadow and fishnet stockings and... ummm... SKIRTS to become gainfully* employed. Somewhere around here, I have a Joe Wright CD wherein he assayed the "20 shred licks you need to wear lipstick" or such - 90's maybe? And I bought Mr. Randolph's latest instrumental "The Word Two" (or such) in the hopes that he had challenged himself a bit, and I am pleased to say, he even has a FIVE-chord song on there! (Well four, really, but one of 'em's really cool). I still wish he'd either take a job playing something he doesn't already know, or hire a really subversive pianist or something to CHALLENGE him. Whatever else it means, speed is a pretty fair measurement of "time-in-seat" and I suspect Robert is possibly hiding some maybe-interesting ideas IF he'd slow down to the point he was thinking about what he's playing.

I also have an inexorable preference for musicians who broadcast wider emotional settings than just "Dumb Happy Boogie!"; "REALLY Dumb Happy Boogie"; "REALLY, really-HAPPY Dumb Boogie!" etc.

(FOGEY ALERT! FOGEY ALERT!) Your face can only melt so many times before it starts to scab over and I just DON'T CARE ANYMORE if you're a Voodoo Chile, pull up your pants, put your hat on straight etc. etc. Rolling Eyes

I mean, John MAYER has officially outgrown his Stevie Ray Vaughan fixation; maybe RR should join the Grateful Dead! (HAHAHAHAHA O-sorry, the angels made me do it. How about, join Steely DAN! Or, join VSOP, your job - the Miles Davis licks... yar.)

*(GAIN-fully? Ha HA HA! Get it?!? GAIN-ffff... aw never mind) Rolling Eyes

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 11:00 am    

Blues Metal Shred is sacred, alright. I am glad he decided to ditch the crappy sounding effects and just play.

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 11:45 am    

Freaking Impressive...

He's got my respect. I've got to go hear him play live sometime. I don't care what you call it; I call it impressive.

David Spires

Melvin Edge

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 7:49 pm    

I've been fortunate to see RR live 3 times so far and he is an amazing steeler. You can also find countless hours of live audio from his shows free on archive.org. The man can and will play a whole range of different styles during his live shows. Listening to him through the years you can tell he has grown as a musician. His rhythm work is impeccable and his picking is phenomenal and his expression is unmatched even among his peers in the sacred steel camp. Yes, a lot of his more popular songs can be a little musically dumbed down and simplistic but he really shines in his live shows.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 2:29 pm    

It really makes me sad to see the responses from so many steel players who just can't see the quality and positive nature of RR's success, because it's not a style they understand or like. So quick to denigrate him or anyone else that doesn't stick to the Country orthodoxy.

As with people who tear down Hip-Hop, my response is....."Think it's easy? Let's see YOU do it, convincingly".

I don't even particularly love RR's records (other than "The Word", which is awesome and soulful)......but it's easy to tell that he's GREAT at what he chooses to do, if you have the least bit of objectivity.

Even sadder? Before I opened this thread, I knew exactly what some of the responses would be.

Please, please.......anyone who reads this stuff that wants to try and push the boundaries, and do your own thing on PSG....don't let this discourage you. We need you, desperately!!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 4:51 pm    

I see one "denigrating response" to the OP, and even that one looks like it was written in a drunken stupor. Most of the people in the forum and on this thread have made positive responses and have nothing but respect and appreciation for anyone who pushes the boundaries of music in general, no matter what style, and the steel guitar in particular.

I think it is okay if someone simply says a certain playing style is not their cuppa java. You can do that and still respect the talent. Anyone posting a music video here has got to understand that everyone is a critic. Even musicians who should know better can't help themselves sometimes, especially with someone who has been enormously successful. But we should never take monster talent for granted. Robert Randolph could be gone tomorrow, and the music world would feel the loss.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 5:09 pm    

I think the thread is basically positive, but you are right to say that most R.R. threads end up going down hill because of the "orthodoxy club." I messaged R.R. on facebook and also enlisted help from a gentleman close to him a few years ago to ask him to join the Forum.He actually did join!! He posted exactly 2 times, once as a "howdy" and once in a reply to an ad.

He then stopped posting. I figured he searched his name on the Forum...

The future of steel is what we make it. Traditional Country will have a place, no matter how small, and the rest will be other than that. Robert Randolph is one person who is casting a vision of what PSG can do.Mike Perlowin is another who is taking things a way different (and cool) direction.

An individual's version of how to play this thing is valid even if a player of traditional music feels threatened.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 6:45 am    

Bottom line, we mustn't fall into looking at pedal steel as a genre. It is an instrument, and what it can be used for depends only on the players' intentions. I also think it's wrong to say which effects are acceptable - the sounds/colors/textures we reach for are to serve the songs, not some pigeon-holed expectations.

I'd also like to hear RR explore more musical territory, but to be fair, I can say that about most musicians/bands I listen to. I also say that about myself and the musicians I work with, cuz it's a constant evolution, right? Shouldn't it be?

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 7:01 am    

David Mason wrote:
Erv Niehaus wrote:
[

(FOGEY ALERT! FOGEY ALERT!) Your face can only melt so many times before it starts to scab over and I just DON'T CARE ANYMORE if you're a Voodoo Chile, pull up your pants, put your hat on straight etc. etc. Rolling Eyes

I mean, John MAYER has officially outgrown his Stevie Ray Vaughan fixation; maybe RR should join the Grateful Dead! (HAHAHAHAHA O-sorry, the angels made me do it. How about, join Steely DAN! Or, join VSOP, your job - the Miles Davis licks... yar.)

*(GAIN-fully? Ha HA HA! Get it?!? GAIN-ffff... aw never mind) Rolling Eyes

He gets around...

https://www.relix.com/blogs/detail/bob_weir_plays_touch_of_grey_with_robert_randolph_members_of_guns_n_roses_doobie_brothers

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/karl-denson-and-robert-randolph-tackle-the-grateful-dead/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h28Oe0mZjkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcGMOzm458A

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 7:31 am    

I don't approve of shredding instruments, but the way this guy demonstrates the capability of pedal steel is the nuts.
Want to play 32d notes like Hendrix? Then at a minute and a half he's playing something really heavenly. Is that not spirituality?

I think his detractors should shut up and SHRED THIS!

Rick Abbott wrote:
He posted exactly 2 times, once as a "howdy" and once in a reply to an ad.
He then stopped posting. I figured he searched his name on the Forum...
Who knows. It was a bum's rush on his welcoming, six pages, when all he wanted to do was chat about steel.
On the other hand, maybe he was just looking to buy a Melobar.

Seriously, it might be hard to chat where if it ain't country it ain't s**t. I mean, these guys are trying to do something different,
raise the spirit, maybe, let bigger hands work through me, things out of my league, but he's always playing over his head and that's what I dig.

And David Mason writes the most entertaining posts, but I really didn't know what it meant. "20 shred licks you need to wear lipstick" is great.
Whatever it means.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 7:34 am    

Do you know what I think?
I think we're lucky that we can still express our opinions, whether you approve of them or not. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
And Charlie, you can stick that in your pipe and smoke it! Whoa!