The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fender steel king / peavey nash. 1000
Jim Goins

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 3:40 am    

Which amp. do most of you players prefer, the fender steel king or peavey Nashville 1000, I have never tried either of these amps. I have a N-112 a sessions 400 and a evans compactra 100 tube amp. Confused Jim.

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 4:54 am    

I have used a Nashville 1000 as my main amp for many years. Once you get your tone dialed in, it's a good sounding amp that's not too heavy and is loud enough for most any situation.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 5:03 am    

My personal opinion: neither a 1000 nor a Steel King will sound as good as your 400.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 5:15 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
My personal opinion: neither a 1000 nor a Steel King will sound as good as your 400.

I second that emotion.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 8:29 am    

Also in agreement with Lane

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 9:20 am    

Nothing sounds better than the Fender, IMO. Peavey steel amps have a sterile sound and the reverb is essentially useless. Listen to the records of the 1960s...from Lloyd Green in Nashville to Tom Brumley in Bakersfield...that's the Fender sound and the Steel King does an AMAZING job of replicating that (inclusive of the impressive Eminence speaker).

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 10:33 am    

I think the Steel King will NEVER be confused with a Twin or Deluxe.
The Peavey she already has sounds more like a Twin than any other solid state amp.

Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 11:43 am     SteelKing

Sound is subjective. IMO the steelking is a very Fender sounding solid state amp. You need to leave the stock speaker in the FSK. Try them side by side, they are totally different sounding. If you like the Fender sound I would bet you would prefer the FSK.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Fred

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 12:11 pm    

Perhaps, Fred. But if my friend had in their arsenal a Compactra, N112, and a Session 400, I don't think I'd urge the purchase or either a N1000 or a Steel King.
She's got two and a half great steel amps,and that half is still widely popular.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 6:06 pm    

I put my Nashville 400 beside my Nashville 1000 and really couldn't tell any difference. Maybe I am hard of hearing but they pretty much sounded the same to me. So close that I sold the 400. I now have a Fender Steel King sitting beside the 1000 and they are very different. Each have great qualities. Both are heavy.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 7:31 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
I think the Steel King will NEVER be confused with a Twin or Deluxe.
The Peavey she already has sounds more like a Twin than any other solid state amp.

I'm with Lane on this one. I went to jam at a friends house. I played through a Fender Dual Showman and the other player was playing through a Fender Steel King. I'm pretty convinced in a double blind test I could tell the difference between the two pretty easily.

Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 1:20 pm     Fsk

Gentlemen. If you read the post I don't believe the question was ask about a comparison to the iconic twin.
It was about the FSK and the peavey. You can turn your approach around and say we could never mistake a twin to be a NV400, NV112 or a FSK.
Like I said tone is subjective to the listener. These amps are all great sounding rigs. Just depends on who is listening.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Fred

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 1:38 pm    

The Nashville 1000 doesn't get much love from many. Everyone tends to enjoy the older Peavey models most. Yes, the older models sound great, but I didn't want to break my back and have plenty of power on the cheap. In my experience, if you use the recommended settings from the owner's manual as a start point and then adjust to taste, you're probably going to have pretty good tone and a pretty good time! YMMV....

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 1:44 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 2:59 am     Re: Fsk

Fred Rushing wrote:
Gentlemen. If you read the post I don't believe the question was ask about a comparison to the iconic twin.
It was about the FSK and the peavey. You can turn your approach around and say we could never mistake a twin to be a NV400, NV112 or a FSK.
Like I said tone is subjective to the listener. These amps are all great sounding rigs. Just depends on who is listening.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Fred

The complete question was (paraphrased, but all the salient points included): I have a Session 400, N112, and a Compactra. Should I add a N1000 or a FSK?

My opinion is, as stated: you already have two amps superior to either of the two you're thinking about acquiring.

The Twin comparison came up because someone spoke in support of the FSK, pointed to classic recordings of Brumley and Green, which were recorded on Fender tube gear

Jim Goins

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 3:19 pm     Fender Steel King/ Peavey N1000

Thanks guys; For all the input, I guess I am better off than I realized, I love my Compactra 100, next the sessions 400, I just haven't gotten use the N112, maybe it will grow on me later. Thanks again. Jim Goins.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 11:57 pm    

Looking at the Fender Steel King schematic, it's certainly an amplifier that's ripe for modification. Replacing the TL072 ICs with the Burr-Brown OPA2134s (such as Ken Fox used in his famous NV-400 mods) would have to be a significant upgrade.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 7:03 am    

In his last post, Lane clarified what I had been thinking all along after reading through these posts.

First, someone had compared the FSK to early Fender tube amps. Immediately my first questions was: Is the FSK tube or SS?
That was answered.

So, they may both have a Fender logo on them, but the differences most likely are more than tubes versus SS. Therefore, it's not a direct comparison.

Also, what Fred said about "depends on who is listening" is #2 on the list. IMO the #1 criteria is "depends on who is playing".

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 7:11 am    

Steven Paris wrote:
Looking at the Fender Steel King schematic, it's certainly an amplifier that's ripe for modification. Replacing the TL072 ICs with the Burr-Brown OPA2134s (such as Ken Fox used in his famous NV-400 mods) would have to be a significant upgrade.

Look inside a steel king and see the globs of silicon covering the solder work. They are not made for modification and are in no way comparable to old fender amps.

Some guys really like them and sound great through them. Depends on the sound you are looking for. But again, they have nothing to do with old fender amps except for the logo.

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 9:24 pm    

I have a Steel King. I LOVE it!!! It reminds me of a late 60's Standel Imperial I had around 1969 or 70.