The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum Encore
Craig Woloshin

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 1:03 pm    

Hey All
I ordered the Zum Encore from Doug back in september and he is getting real close to start the instrument.
I would like to get some input as to which pickups I should order and if I should add an additional pedal to the guitar...If I do add another pedal, which strings would i be changing? Im pretty bad at theory and play by ear....I currently play a GFI student that has 3 pedals and 2 knee levers...im playing thru the quilter steelaire amp....
Thanks

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 2:04 pm    

My Encore has their custom wound humbucking pickup. At first I thought it was a little weak in the low end but now I'm real happy with it. I think I just needed to adapt to the guitar to get the most out of it. It's a very dynamic guitar and responds well to the slightest changes in picking position, strength, and technique, unlike some other guitars I've had. It also records really well. I love this guitar, and it's sound really motivates me to play.

The high end is amazingly clear and sweet. It's very rewarding above the 12th fret. Neither ice picky nor cloudy. I've gotten lots of unsolicited raves about the tone of this great guitar, with various amps. I'm glad I got the humbucker because both my home and one of the places I regularly play have wiring issues that make single coils unworkable. I'm of the opinion that for me, this is the right pickup for this guitar, however the tinkerer in me probably won't leave it alone for much longer! I can always go back to stock, and I find it interesting, educational, and fun to tinker.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 2:12 pm    

I played Darrell's guitar. I was pleasantly surprised at the over all sound and build quality. Craig, you'll probably love the ax.
I'd go for the vertical knee lever before a fourth pedal. It commonly lowers 5 and 10 one note(half step) I use it mainly for 9th chords,minor chords(with A and B down,) aug7 chords while adding string 9,and min./maj.7th chords. RP. (Just noticed! They are advertised as coming with a 5th lever. Very cool!)

Last edited by Ron Pruter on 7 Apr 2017 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 2:12 pm     Zum Encore

TT 10
GregT- NZ

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 8:14 pm    

Encore with Doug's humbucker here... Thought about dropping in a 705 to more closely match my Super Pro, but after lots of gigs and recording with it, just don't feel the need - I think the wind of the stock humbucker suits the tone/body of the guitar nicely and doesn't leave anything out. Very tweakable with a good steel amp.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I think the Encore comes standard with 3x5 (including the V knee lever)... it's just the 4th pedal that costs extra. I went for the 4x5 on mine and am very happy I did... small price to pay for the flexibility of the Franklin pedal if you ask me...

Happy Steelin!

Last edited by Ben Waligoske on 9 Apr 2017 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 2:12 am    

I have an Encore with the Humbucker on it and I love it. It has a nice growl to it. As far as pedals, I have 3 pedals and 5 knee levers and I'm happy with it. A little forum search will reveal the basic changes most people use on an E9 tuning with 3/5 on it. If you want to add another floor pedal, get the Franklin change. I'm not familiar with it but it seems to be popular and PF plays on a lot of hit tunes, so I'm sure it would come in handy. You'll love your Encore. I play an Emmons P/P when I feel like lugging a D10 around, but other than missing the back neck, I'm really diggin' my Encore!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 2:20 pm    

Hey Craig, lucky you. My Encore order is a month or so behind yours.

Having played Ben's Encore for a week (what a guy!) I heartily concur with his opinion on Doug's stock humbucker and optional 4th pedal. Get the pad, too. They don't cost much. You don't HAVE to use 'em, but I bet you will.

You'll have tuneable splits on strings 5, 6 and 10. It's a LOT OF GUITAR! In the case it's 17 pounds lighter than my 4x5 Carter SD-10.

You didn't say if you play Emmons or Day setup. The added pedal with Franklin change in the "0" position (to the left of your "A" pedal) makes sense with Emmons setup.

Hay Joosten

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 5:11 pm    

I own an encore guitar with hum bucker, I love it! Get lots of compliments too!

I got both the 4th pedal and the pad. I never used the pad, and very rarely the 4th pedal. I guess I would have still put the 4th pedal on, if only for resale ease (though I won't be selling this thing any time soon!). PF change seems most common, but I surely not the expert.

Have fun! An amazing guitar, tons of value for little $

Craig Woloshin

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 12:31 pm    

Thanks for the info....Im gonna go with the 4th pedal and see if Doug can put a vertical lever on as well....Im really looking forward to upgrading my rig...the GFI student was a great starter guitar, but it lacks in certain areas especially the sound when playing out....

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 1:18 pm    

Craig Woloshin wrote:
Thanks for the info....Im gonna go with the 4th pedal and see if Doug can put a vertical lever on as well....Im really looking forward to upgrading my rig...the GFI student was a great starter guitar, but it lacks in certain areas especially the sound when playing out....

Just to clarify, were you thinking about a second vertical lever? The Encore already comes standard with 4 knees, one vertical and 3 pedals. I added the 4th pedal with whatever setting Doug recommended though I'm a beginner and at this point I mostly only use two pedals.

Congrats on the soon-to-be-incoming Encore. You're going to love it. I have the humbucker and pad on mine and my teacher loves the tone. It's also nice to know that whatever electric system I find myself making use of, I won't be getting single coil hum.

Sounds like you've got a good amp to play it through too. Enjoy!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 4:38 am    

Definitely one of my favourite guitars!!!

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 6:55 am    

I like mine very well. It stays in tune very good. Plays super. It has 4 pedals and 5 knee levers. Ron

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 6:24 pm    

I went with the trutone. I love my Zum Encore.

Craig Woloshin

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 2:06 pm    

The encore arrived yesterday, I have not stopped playing it yet!!! It is everything that i thought it would be....It sounds amazing with the custom pick up and thru the quilter steelier amp.....Doug, you are a master craftsman!!! THX

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 3:41 pm    

I'm glad you like the guitar Craig. Thank you for the kind words, but I am a far cry from being a craftsman of any degree. Good model builder, yes, but that's about it!

Robert Dominick

Bradenton, FL
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 2:49 am    

I've had my Encore for 14 months now and absolutely love it! I went with the Humbucker and it sounds amazing through my Quilter Steelaire and Telonics 15-4 speaker cab!!