The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Steel Guitarist Magazine 70's, 80's
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 7:23 am    

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/categories/Books-%26-Magazines/

I can't believe that the complete set of these magazines is still available in new, never opened condition, just like they were just printed starting from nearly 40 yrs. ago. It's almost like opening a time capsule.

Any steel player that doesn't have these ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Tom Bradshaw's labor of love. Just one of the many ventures Tom has been involved with. Such a forward thinker and true lover of the steel guitar and all it's aspects. From all his investments and steel guitar endeavors I doubt he's ever realized a dime's profit. Probably put way more in that he'll ever get out.

Available here as well:
http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/steel_guitarist.php

Anyway, the magazines cover some historical information as well as steel guitar maintenance, issues, some instruction, some laughs and just good reading concerning steel guitars.

A recent post here concerning changer fingers reminded me of an article Winnie Winston, I think, wrote in an issue showing how to remove an individual finger from a changer without disassembling the guitar.

I remember when they first came out. It was a delight to have such information available. I have 2 or 3 sets of these and peruse them quite a lot on occasion.

It's nice to sit down with an actual printed publication with slick pages that you don't have to pull up on a computer sometimes.

There is lots of interesting stuff in these. Articles and interviews by names you still see here on the forum. Buddy Emmons, Jeff Newman, Winnie Winston, Doug Beaumier, Andy DePaule, John McClung, Maurice Anderson, Ralph Mooney, Tom Brumley and many others.

You need these if you don't have them. You can get the complete set of 6, which includes a double issue with Paul Franklin, high quality slick production works for just a few bucks. Where else can you find such a deal?

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 12:31 pm    

I subscribed to the magazine when it first came out, and have the full original set. They have been read so much over the years that they're getting a little ragged. I guess I should order a new set just to have them in new condition.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 6:47 pm    

I have seen another steel guitar magazine, does anyone know the history of that one?

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 10:02 pm    

Darrell, maybe you are talking about the "Steel Guitar World Magazine" that was a relatively short-lived one, issued by Russ Rask. He had to stop after a little while due to financial problems. I think Russ passed away a few years ago.

Kind Regards, Walter

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2017 4:31 am    

yes that's the one

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 12:14 pm    

I have all 6. They are of course kinda dated, but still fun to read. Paul Franklin with an afro...WOW!

What surprised me was the ad for Zumsteel...Did not know Zums went that far back. Also liked the ad touting the PP VS. LeGrande.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 18 May 2017 4:14 pm    

Steel Guitar World wasn't exactly short lived, I think Russ published about 40 issues

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 10:24 pm    

Rich Upright wrote:
I have all 6. They are of course kinda dated, but still fun to read. Paul Franklin with an afro...WOW!

What surprised me was the ad for Zumsteel...Did not know Zums went that far back. Also liked the ad touting the PP VS. LeGrande.

If I remember right, Zumsteel started building steels in 1976, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 3:22 am    

I have all 6 also...priceless to me at least. I also have all the Steel Guitar World mags. World of information at the time and really even now a great read!!