The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Excel resto project
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 10:39 am    

b0b wrote:
Billy Carr's forum account has been suspended, so he can't post in his defense. This morning I received this email from him:
Billy Carr wrote:
In reference to the sale of the S-10 Excel by me to Damir, I do understand it appeared that I purposely misrepresented the guitar. I didn’t want to tell him that I do certain things to my personal guitars to improve tone, sustain and playability. ...yada yada yada....

Did Mr. Carr offer to compensate Mr. Besic a significant amount of money to set this right?

If not, Mr. Besic should sue Mr. Carr for the cost of the repairs. Getting expert testimony to support Mr. Besic's losses should not be a problem. Unbelievable.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 5:23 pm    

Andy, That saying is an old Okie saying I have heard all my life, WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND. His day will come. His e-mail writing was like a stupid idiot.
Does he really think that folks here on the forum would believe that kind of trash. OK, I have said too much and will hush now. No name calling allowed,ha!! As I said in another post, just UNBELIEVABLE. Sorry if I have offended anyone. J.R. Rose

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 7:06 pm    

I didn't want to tell anyone,but, I installed Dr. Emmit Brown's Flux Capacitor inside my Rick Johnson cab. I wanted to be the only one to be able to take them back in time to the golden age of Pedal Steel Guitar...but now my secret is out Laughing Laughing Laughing

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 6:15 pm    

Damir,i am so sorry this happen to you. It just put's a bad taste in my mouth. You are an honest person who represents their guitars as what they exactly are. I only wish billy would have done the same. Thanks for all the advice you've given me over the years, and keep selling those fine steels you have. George Mad

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 2:45 am    

I haven't read all the posts, but I thought I'd mention a couple of things:
I believe it was the late 80's that Mitsuo went from using the name "Fuzzy Steel Guitars" to "Excel".
I have been to his shop and have NEVER seen that Excel logo on any of his guitars.
This is the one he built for me, which my buddy, David Phillips owns now:

The logo is a "plaque" and Mitsuo went to using decals on his guitars shortly after.
Ned Steinberger once told me that when he painted his first batch of composite, headless guitars, that the chemical makeup of the composite guitar bodies didn't go with the paint and the guitars ended up melting.
I suspect mismatched chemical makeup was the problem.

Greg Zinkus

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 5:22 am    

OMG, I just realized I had sent an email inquiring about this "Excel." As a rank beginner, it appeared as a possible learning instrument. Damir, it's a crying shame, sorry for your troubles. Mike Scaggs, you are a hero to step in and help!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 5:36 am    

Greg Zinkus wrote:
OMG, I just realized I had sent an email inquiring about this "Excel." As a rank beginner, it appeared as a possible learning instrument. Damir, it's a crying shame, sorry for your troubles. Mike Scaggs, you are a hero to step in and help!

Thanks but I am not a hero at all, just a fellow steel player doing to right thing for someone who was ripped off. I expect if that happened to me someone would lend a hand as well.

I should have the body back next week with new mica and we will go from there.

In my mind the only possible way for Billy Carr to redeem himself at this stage is to pay Damir in full for the restoration and then make a public apology and come completely clean. Anything short of that is not acceptable in my book.

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Last edited by Mike Scaggs on 17 May 2017 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 6:18 am    

Fred Rose wrote:
Does your conscience ever bother you
Every time you hear my name?
Try to think of all the harm you do
Then hang your head in shame.

Thank you, Fred Rose. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Greg Zinkus

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 8:00 am    

Mike Scaggs wrote:

Thanks but I am not a hero at all, just a fellow steel player doing to right thing for someone who was ripped off. I expect if that happened to me someone would lend a hand as well.

See, that's the thing about real heroes, they don't do things for praise or recognition!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 8:30 am     I know where they come from

b0b wrote:
David Mason wrote:
That "Excel" logo - the one on a corroding metal plate - looks unlike anything on the website, new or older model.

That's what I thought, too. Does anyone know where that logo plate came from?

I know where that Excel Logo plate came from...
It was may kindergarten art class. Laughing
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 4:00 pm    

Quote:
I didn’t want to tell him that I do certain things to my personal guitars to improve tone, sustain and playability

Well, I for one am relieved that it turns out that guitar had actually been improved over a standard, apparently kinda lame-toned ordinary ol' Fuzzy guitar. "Tonus uber Alles!" as we used to say in the old country. Like with some umlats and stuff. In fact, there are some a these weird kinda-P-I-T-A to adjust old guitars called, like, Almond Pee-Pee's I think? Surely calling 'em PeePee's is no wierder than calling a pretty-much bald-formica guitsr a "Fuzzy", and we KNOW some of you guys are hiding like five or six of 'em under your bed. So in the interest of fairness one a you oughtta send a Pee-Pee to Mr. Carr and let him turn loose his magic powers on THAT puppy! Or those other beaters, called... Frankforts or Conklins or something?, apparently they were so poor to begin with the dude stopped making them altogether! If I had one of them I'd surely be sending it down to get all carr'd up to shuff! I mean - what have you got to lose? (Might get a better logo out of the whole thing too, a win-win scenario - as we used to say in the old country.)

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 2:58 am    

David Mason wrote:
Quote:
I didn’t want to tell him that I do certain things to my personal guitars to improve tone, sustain and playability

Well, I for one am relieved that it turns out that guitar had actually been improved over a standard

I can promise you this guitar was not improved it was trashed beyond recognition.

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 4:26 am    

Aside from the Steel Guitar Forum, I don't know Mr. Carr. I had an overall favorable impression of him, based on posts on the forum. Knowing now, that he's likely to alter his guitars to "improve" the playability and tone, would you sell one of your babies to him? I really don't think I would.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 5:04 am    

Rick Barnhart wrote:
Aside from the Steel Guitar Forum, I don't know Mr. Carr. I had an overall favorable impression of him, based on posts on the forum. Knowing now, that he's likely to alter his guitars to "improve" the playability and tone, would you sell one of your babies to him? I really don't think I would.

This has nothing to do with his altering or very poor craftsmanship, it has everything to do with honestly and disclosure. He outright lied to Damir and ripped him off, it's really as simple as that. Once he was busted he refused a refund and made some claims that made him look even more ridiculous and guilty.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 7:30 am    

Let's stop the personal attacks. There's no need to "get a rope" - Billy Carr's membership has been already been suspended for this. He won't be misleading another unsuspecting member in the Classified Ads section of the forum.

There's another topic about the restoration. I'm closing this one.