The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two lever options on a project?
Tony Boadle

Skibbereen, County Cork, Ireland
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 9:31 am    

Having long ago given up on ever locating a PSG that I could afford, I turned my attention to my 8-string SX Lap Steel.
I set it up with a 'sweetened' E7th tuning;
(lo-hi) E. G#. B. C#. E. G#. B. E.

Then, I made up a multibender-style bridge, connecting the 2nd and 3rd strings to separate pedals. I can raise the top G# to A, and the top B to C#, giving me the basic best-known PSG sounds. It's a lot of fun to play, and certainly a 'budget' part-answer to my PSG desires!

I'm now considering making up a couple of knee levers, and would greatly appreciate some ideas as to how I could best utilise them (if at all). I'd prefer to lower one or two strings rather than raise any more, the multibender bridge took a long time to make and get right...lowering some other strings would be a more attractive proposition right now.

This is a hobby instrument, recreational use only. I fully appreciate that I should be moving up to a 'proper' PSG, but I'm retired for a couple of years now, and I've accepted that even a starter will always be out of my financial reach. Hence the project!

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Regards from County Cork, Ireland.
PS: A few pics attached (hopefully!)