The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Most people in the audience don't have a clue...
Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 5:59 pm    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Barry Blackwood wrote:
Can you explain this a little better, Dave?

Dave's not here, man.

LOL -

Been a long time since I heard that one. Laughing

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 2:14 am    

I have a CD with Segovia performing the Chaconne... Very Very chilling piece!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 3:41 am    

Mark van Allen wrote:
Tony brings up the Strad… seems we've endlessly gone on in the same way about Push Pulls.

Ahh Haa ! ( he said )

The thing about it is a great Violinist will play MUCH better , or perhaps differently,on an instrument such as the Strad...The tone and sweet spots bring out a different emotion to the player.

Push Pulls, well who can say , but I've been told I play totally different with the P Pull than on the Legrande ! I do know I hear much different tones on the P Pull than the Legrande. Better ? Probably not, Different? Yes. Especially the sonic timbre on 5 and 8 down there under the 5th fret.

It is said that many Bass players when selecting a new Bass will pay most attention to the tones under the 5th fret .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 6:08 am    

But back to the topic... people in the audience don't hear any difference in the tone of steel guitars. A lot of them don't even hear the steel guitar! They don't focus on one instrument or another with critical listening. We are the ones doing the critical listening.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 7:03 am    

I'm one of the ones who come down on the side of creative inspiration- a new or different, or more responsive, or ergonomic, or black... instrument just feels better, fits better, or sounds better to us, so it follows that we most likely play better. Indulge.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 7:26 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
But back to the topic... people in the audience don't hear any difference in the tone of steel guitars. A lot of them don't even hear the steel guitar! They don't focus on one instrument or another with critical listening. We are the ones doing the critical listening.

This leads me to a funny story of mine. At a gig once, one of the songs we did was an eerie minor rock thing where I used heavy distortion. As could be predicted, some drunk audience member went crazy shaking his fist in admiration of our guitar player at the other side of the stage, even though he was only lightly strumming chords behind my loud solo!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 8:32 am    

Mark, I agree that we play better when we are comfortable with our instrument. I'm just saying that the audience doesn't notice that. They don't know the difference between inspired playing and average playing, or even poor, out of tune playing. They may notice the player, what he's wearing, how he acts on stage. Sometimes they don't even know where the sound is coming from, or who's playing what, as Jeff said.

Sometimes when a listener complains about the band's volume, we ask... what's loud? the drums? bass? vocals? And the person can Never answer that question. They just give us a blank look and say, well... it's just loud. That's because they don't know what a bass is. And they don't know that the vocals are in the mains. And they don't know who's playing what, the steel or the lead. So they can't describe the problem. Meanwhile we obsess about our tone, our effects, amp and guitar...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 2:58 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:

Perhaps that is very common, I am very fortunate I play 3 shows each month and they are VERY Steel guitar friendly, THEY know and they comment as well.

I just say, don't underestimate the audience.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 4:18 pm    

Always play your best and try to sound your best. Doesn't matter how few people have got a clue. As the Willie song says, sometimes there's no one to play for but the band.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 4:29 am    

The audience may pick up little visual clues from the performer that tell how confident he is--how much he likes--his/her instrument,
and thus how they project their playing.
And still the Stradivarius can't be picked out from the crowd of other good German violins. Tone is still in the hands.
And Bob Wills is still the king.